The Student Room Group

How difficult is it to get a Disctinction/Merit in MSc?

I am 5 weeks into my MSc in Forensic Psychology at Uni of Winchester. Having come from a Russell Group Uni (Southampton) from a Criminology and Psychology undergrad where I chose modules with distinct Forensic Psychology content, I thought I'd set myself up well to get at least a Merit (with work, of course)

I was looking at the files section on the VLE, and found a breakdown of what people on my course got a few years ago. Only 3 out of 18 got a merit or distinction. The course has changed a lot since then, with more coursework over exams, but I was very surprised that it seemed that difficult to get the two top classifications.

My question is: How difficult is it to get a distinction or a merit? Those that have achieved them - how much work did you put in? I really want to get a merit or above so looking for tips to improve!
I found the key was to understanding the mark scheme inside out, being able to find a good quantity of relevant references, and knowing exactly what lecturers were expecting to see in the work. Often they'd drop subtle (or not so subtle) hints during lectures. It's impossible to say how much work you'd need to put in as everyone's styles are different, but I didn't find it particularly 'difficult' to get distinctions in my masters (MSc and MBA, admittedly not at your unis or in your subjects). Get into a good work routine and keep focused and I'm sure you'll get the result you deserve. Good luck!
Original post by Duncan2012
I found the key was to understanding the mark scheme inside out, being able to find a good quantity of relevant references, and knowing exactly what lecturers were expecting to see in the work. Often they'd drop subtle (or not so subtle) hints during lectures. It's impossible to say how much work you'd need to put in as everyone's styles are different, but I didn't find it particularly 'difficult' to get distinctions in my masters (MSc and MBA, admittedly not at your unis or in your subjects). Get into a good work routine and keep focused and I'm sure you'll get the result you deserve. Good luck!

Thank you so much, you've been really helpful, especially with the tip about the mark schemes!
Original post by Parkleton
Thank you so much, you've been really helpful, especially with the tip about the mark schemes!

You're welcome :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending