The Student Room Group

What are the full titles of uni courses?

I need to write an email to certain unis however my career teacher says I should mention the full course name?

I wrote medicine- would I like have to say MB medicine?
also he keeps capitalizing the course name- I kinda find that ridiculous; as I'm pretty sure that's incorrect English

help please
Original post by catacat

I wrote medicine- would I like have to say MB medicine?

Depends on the medical school in question - there are lots of different abbreviations e.g. MB ChB, MB BS, BM BS etc which all stand for bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery. I don't think you have to include the degree abbreviation - if you're emailing the medical school undergraduate office it should be quite obvious which degree you're referring to when you say "medicine".

You're right about not having to capitalise the course name btw.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Depends on the medical school in question - there are lots of different abbreviations e.g. MB ChB, MB BS, BM BS etc which all stand for bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery. I don't think you have to include the degree abbreviation - if you're emailing the medical school undergraduate office it should be quite obvious which degree you're referring to when you say "medicine".

You're right about not having to capitalise the course name btw.

Thank you, I know I'm right I always am
My careers teacher on the other hand..
Reply 3
I would type MB Medicine personally
Original post by LH44Life
I would type MB Medicine personally

If you're going to do it you should do it properly i.e. include the surgical degree and make sure it's actually MB and not BM at that particular uni.
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
If you're going to do it you should do it properly i.e. include the surgical degree and make sure it's actually MB and not BM at that particular uni.

so what is the full name of the course?
just give an example please
Original post by catacat

Just write medicine (if you want to be pedantic you could put A100, or A... if you're applying for foundation). They seriously won't care. They'll get hundreds of emails from applicants, they know you've got questions.
Reply 7
Original post by ForestCat
Just write medicine (if you want to be pedantic you could put A100, or A... if you're applying for foundation). They seriously won't care. They'll get hundreds of emails from applicants, they know you've got questions.

It's not really a question- it's some important information regarding my academic history (I didn't do GCSEs)
Original post by catacat
It's not really a question- it's some important information regarding my academic history (I didn't do GCSEs)

They will also get hundreds of emails about people clarifying their grades. They are not going to remember that you happened to write the full title, in a years time when your application gets assessed.

Seriously just write medicine. Or copy whatever they call it on their website. But it doesn't matter at all.
Original post by catacat

Medicine.

If you are referring to an application through UCAS specifically, you could say Medicine (A100)*, as mentioned above. But look at the websites, look at UCAS - the full course name is 'medicine'.

*it feels like once you start using specific course codes you should be capitalising. Not sure if that's true or not. Also, no one cares this is literally an e-mail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending