The Student Room Group

Circle theorems help

Can someone help me how to find angle BDC and OCD
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Chocolate...s

Unless I'm being thick or forgotten something, I don't see how those angles can be obtained from the given information.

Where did you find this Q?
Reply 2
Original post by Chocolate...s

ACO is 90 as tangent and radius are perpendicular, from there you can easily work out AOC and then BDC follows as angle at centre is 2 x angle at circumference.
The key here is just to work out each angle and make and put it on the diagram - you should be able to work out all angles.
Original post by RDKGames
Unless I'm being thick or forgotten something, I don't see how those angles can be obtained from the given information.

ahem... the angle at the centre is double the angle at the edge

:console:
Original post by B_9710
ACO is 90 as tangent and radius are perpendicular, from there you can easily work out AOC and then BDC follows as angle at centre is 2 x angle at circumference.
The key here is just to work out each angle and make and put it on the diagram - you should be able to work out all angles.

I wouldn’t have gone the way you went, I saw that ABDC is a parallelogram, meaning that opposite angles are equal BCD is 32 and therefore OCD would be ((360 -(32*2))-90)

https://corbettmaths.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/circle-theorems.pdf
Question 20
Original post by the bear
ahem... the angle at the centre is double the angle at the edge

:console:

Ah, I know the rule but I was struggling to apply it but after 'untangling' the quadrilateral BOCD it's a smack in the face
Ah, I know the rule but I was struggling to apply it but after 'untangling' the quadrilateral BOCD it's a smack in the face

https://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/k.jpg?quality=100&strip=info

Luckily I didn't have to use my trusty rotating tool there.
Original post by Daniel100499
I wouldn’t have gone the way you went, I saw that ABDC is a parallelogram, meaning that opposite angles are equal BCD is 32 and therefore OCD would be ((360 -(32*2))-90)

The diagram is deceptive - ABDC is not a parallelogram. Although one pair of sides are parallel, the other pair are not.

Quick Reply

Latest