The Student Room Group

Worth applying if grades below entry requirements?

Hi everyone, just wondering if it's worth applying to a university if your grades are slightly below their entry requirements? or will you get automatically declined.

For example the typical offer for Aerospace Engineering at Bath is "D*D*D* in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma plus grade A* in A level mathematics."

Also for the engineering course at Cambridge it says "Applicants are expected to achieve the highest possible grades in A Level Mathematics and the vocational qualification."

I have the D*D*D* but only an A in maths. So would it be a waste to put either of these universities down as an option?

Thanks to everyone who replies! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Is the rest of your application very strong? If not it's probably a waste although you get 5 choices and only go forward with 2 so you can afford to have an optimistic choice in there.
Reply 2
Original post by Kambu
Hi everyone, just wondering if it's worth applying to a university if your grades are slightly below their entry requirements? or will you get automatically declined.

For example the typical offer for Aerospace Engineering at Bath is "D*D*D* in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma plus grade A* in A level mathematics."

Also for the engineering course at Cambridge it says "Applicants are expected to achieve the highest possible grades in A Level Mathematics and the vocational qualification."

I have the D*D*D* but only an A in maths. So would it be a waste to put either of these universities down as an option?

Are you applying post A-level with those grades achieved? If they're your predicted grades, it may be worth applying to one but if you've already got the A in maths, you probably won't be successful, especially at Cambridge.
Reply 3
If you have an extremely strong application (PS and Reference), then maybe put one of them...but really, you are unlikely to get an offer as they will be getting applications from people who do have those grades and more
Reply 4
Original post by Kambu

Its probably worth applying as you're very close

Just make sure the other ones that you apply to you can get into and would be happy at if you dont get your first choice
Original post by xam155
I was going to ask this as well, I got BDD this August at AS but I’m looking at some BBB unis, I’ve got tons of extra stuff like I’m ahead Boy at my school, loads of leadership stuff/courses, DofE, public speaking to royalty etc. Just wondering if it’s a waste of time applying even some that are like AAB?! What’d you think?

Well, for you, you've not done your A-Levels yet, so you may well get those grades. That being said, if the competition is strong, they will likely not give you an offer. Depends on your predicted grades. It's worth trying though.

The OP has already done their A-Levels. ☺️
Original post by xam155
I was going to ask this as well, I got BDD this August at AS but I’m looking at some BBB unis, I’ve got tons of extra stuff like I’m ahead Boy at my school, loads of leadership stuff/courses, DofE, public speaking to royalty etc. Just wondering if it’s a waste of time applying even some that are like AAB?! What’d you think?

It's very unlikely that you would be able to get predictions of AAB and in turn that would make AAB courses impossible to get into with your AS grades.

My guess would be that if you had very generous teachers and those Ds were close to Cs they will predict you ABB at the most, and for the sake of applying to Engineering I would hope that the B at AS is in maths. Admissions to UK universities are very much based off grades.
Original post by xam155
Yeah ok, by the sounds of what other people say as well my extra stuff doesn’t go as far as I was hopping. FYI the B was in ICT and D’s Maths/Economics. Thanks Max.

Yeah if you've got a D in maths and no physics then you would have no chance for Engineering at AAB or even ABB unis, sorry.
Reply 8
Original post by Kambu

Are these grades achieved or predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
Are these grades achieved or predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Achieved :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Kambu
Achieved :frown:

Ok, so you've missed the Oxbridge deadline for Cambridge, and they would be extremely unlikely to accept an A instead of their A* requirement in Maths.

For Bath, get in touch and ask them. You can contact universities before making a formal application :smile:
you can try bath
Reply 12
Original post by Doonesbury
Ok, so you've missed the Oxbridge deadline for Cambridge, and they would be extremely unlikely to accept an A instead of their A* requirement in Maths.

For Bath, get in touch and ask them. You can contact universities before making a formal application :smile:

Thanks for the info doon :smile: I already tried e-mailing Bath but they told me to look at the entry requirements (seemed like a copy and paste response)...will try phoning them later instead to see if they say anything different.
Reply 13
Original post by Kambu
Thanks for the info doon :smile: I already tried e-mailing Bath but they told me to look at the entry requirements (seemed like a copy and paste response)...will try phoning them later instead to see if they say anything different.

Yes try by phone. You are below the requirements but you've nothing to lose by asking, or even applying really. It's just one of your 5 choices ...
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi..I got BCC at AS and ABB prediction, is it worth applying to AAA unis if I had extenuating circumstances and a good personal statement and reference?
Reply 15
Original post by bubblegum219
Hi..I got BCC at AS and ABB prediction, is it worth applying to AAA unis if I had extenuating circumstances and a good personal statement and reference?

Yes, it's worth having 1 or 2 "aspirational" choices at that level.

Quick Reply

Latest