The Student Room Group

Need help with Spanish GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by F1 1AK
That’s exactly what my teacher told my class about conversation classes, those who go will be the ones with top grades and those who don’t won’t do as well.

That seems like a good idea, right now I’m using an app called “Memrise” I’m trying to learn like 10 new words a day and I’ve also set my phones language in Spanish! I’ll do what you said today when I’m revising Spanish.

Thanks again for your advice!

This is helpful because I’m doing AS Spanish in June and I am splitting up the words I recognise/know with ones I have no idea with and also using memrise which our teacher set up (in auite competitive so it makes me go on it more) and I also have a spanish conversation with an actual Spanish person, however you don’t really do that at GCSE level (at least in my school). Just learn your verb endings and the basic infinitives (eg. Ir, estar , ser etc)
Original post by T4wreckedme
This is helpful because I’m doing AS Spanish in June and I am splitting up the words I recognise/know with ones I have no idea with and also using memrise which our teacher set up (in auite competitive so it makes me go on it more) and I also have a spanish conversation with an actual Spanish person, however you don’t really do that at GCSE level (at least in my school). Just learn your verb endings and the basic infinitives (eg. Ir, estar , ser etc)

In addition to that, I only really learnt my verbs and the endings and got an A (and only 2 Marks off a A*) so don’t worry you’ll do fine. Also if something is difficult, like for my reading it was super difficult but I got a A/A* grade in it because the boundaries were so low. So just try your best and you’ll do great :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Aliya15
I myself am at an A in Spanish currently I do very well at it. On my recent writing test I scored 100% the only one in the class and more often than not I get called the dictionary in class. The main thing that has helped me to achieve the best is an app called Memrise it is a great for learning new vocabulary. My teacher or classmates will give me whole paragraphs in English to translate to Spanish or vice versa and I do tend to know it most of the time. All because of this one app. I have been using it for many years and I highly advise that you use it.
Espero que tiene éxito - I hope that you have success
Don’t give up
¡Adiós!

Wow! You’re doing really well! I have 2 people in my class who get between 95%-100% on their tests (it’s their native language so they speak fluently). Keep it going!
I have heard of that memrise app and I’m starting to use it, I have learn new words (basic ones but it’s a start) such as: por eso, parecido a, mismo, la mayoría etc.

Thanks for the suggestion though and keep going like you are now!
Reply 23

I have heard good things about memrise from lots of people, I’ve just started using it and have already learnt a few new words. My Spanish textbook has a big verb table at the back so I’ll try and learn as many off by heart - that’s my main weakness I think more than the actual words.

Thanks for the advice and good luck in your AS!
Reply 24
In addition to that, I only really learnt my verbs and the endings and got an A (and only 2 Marks off a A*) so don’t worry you’ll do fine. Also if something is difficult, like for my reading it was super difficult but I got a A/A* grade in it because the boundaries were so low. So just try your best and you’ll do great :smile:

Well done with your A/A*!! That’s something to be very proud of. My Spanish teacher said that we have a new syllabus so the grade boundaries will be lower than usual so that’s good news for me!
Original post by Aliya15

Don’t give up
¡Adiós!

no subjunctive smh
Original post by F1 1AK
Well done with your A/A*!! That’s something to be very proud of. My Spanish teacher said that we have a new syllabus so the grade boundaries will be lower than usual so that’s good news for me!

That’s good news. And good luck too you in your GCSEs hope you do well ! :smile:
Original post by Aliya15
I myself am at an A in Spanish currently I do very well at it. On my recent writing test I scored 100% the only one in the class and more often than not I get called the dictionary in class. The main thing that has helped me to achieve the best is an app called Memrise it is a great for learning new vocabulary. My teacher or classmates will give me whole paragraphs in English to translate to Spanish or vice versa and I do tend to know it most of the time. All because of this one app. I have been using it for many years and I highly advise that you use it.
Don’t give up
¡Adiós!

Sorry to be a party pooper, but your translation of “I hope you have success” is incorrect. “Tener” needs to be in the second person subjunctive form. The correct sentence is thus:

“Espero que tengas éxito”.
Reply 28
Original post by Rey Felipe
Duolingo is also a great website for general vocabulary improvement. I implore you to try reading as well, e.g. a Harry Potter book in Spanish. They're free to download all over the internet (to read on your smartphone/tablet), and although you may spend 20 minutes on the first page of a book searching up all of the vocabulary, it's guaranteed that you'll spend less time on the next page, and the next, and so on. If you've read the books already, it'll be even easier as in many cases you can match the Spanish to what you know it is in English. Reading, in my opinion, is the best possible way of boosting vocabulary, not only because of how effective it is, but because it becomes enjoyable - unless you dislike reading in English. By the time I got to the second Harry Potter book, I was reading solely for fun (especially as i'd never read the books before), and I rarely searched up a word. After finishing the series, I was leagues ahead of my "rival" vocabulary wise, and we are both A* GCSE A* predicted A level students. Another fun way is watching Spanish-language shows like Narcos or El Chapo, shows which i'd highly recommend anyway. Despite the English subtitles you still learn new vocabulary, and it also helps your listening.

That’s a great idea! I have already changed my phone language into Spanish and have learnt some words but reading a couple of pages a day seems good! I haven’t heard of Duolingo but I’ll definitely check It out! I’ve started using Memrise which helps too.

Good luck to you in your A-levels I hope you beat “your rival”!!
You could go on 'memrise', its an app/website. It has all the spanish vocab from spanish-english and english-spanish. It also has useful memes that help you to remember difficult words.
Hi, I am a native girl studying here in London. I could help you with your struggle through conversation classes, or we could revise all your doubts. Please contact me again so we can talk about this and other details, I am here to help you!

Julia Jover
In my mocks I got a 6, and I am predicted a 7 in the GCSE. Honestly, languages are hard and everyone knows that. There really isn't much trick to it, not including the whole revision tricks: past papers, spec, examiner report. You should use Memrise and spend at least 30 mins a day, if you're worried about it. Try to really pay attention in lessons and write everything down. If you're like me - I've had terrible teachers since I've taken this for my GCSEs - you have to really take your learning into your own hands and spend lots of time understanding tenses, how to conjugate words. If you understand the 'basics', it really helps overall as it means you can apply this to everything else.
Late to this thread but...I use Duolingo, Quizlet and StudySpanish.com when trying to learn + revise vocab!
Language learnjng is all about knowing your verbs and 'little and often.'

So, look at your vocabulary EVERY DAY for say 10-15 minutes. Ditto your verbs. Write words and phrases down in a book so that you can hide first one langauge then another. So start by looking at the Spanish and guessing the English, when you're perfect try the opposite - much more difficult

Science says you need to repeat a word 30 times before you know it. Say the words out loud, repeat all the phrases out loud- walking up and down is best. (I know everyone will think you're crazy) Make an effort to pronounce everything perfectly. It will all help enormously in the oral and in the listening test.

Make a list of good grammatical things / specially good phrases you want to impress the examiner with - so
1, I must use at least 6-8 different tenses - the more complicated the better
2, I must use 10-12 complicated phrases etc.

Then the exam becomes more a question of how can I get these in rather than I don't know what to write .
I am native and have taught American students. They seemed to do pretty well. If you are interested I could teach you private lessons on Skype.
(edited 6 years ago)
Make sure to revise conjugations that you’ve covered in class, do lots of past papers (even if they’re from different exam boards).
Also:
for listening- there are many podcasts in Spanish and listening to Spanish songs can help, RTVE.es have lots of radio/ news in Spanish
for reading- you can find articles and such on the internet just make sure to search for the right level
for vocabulary- apps like quizlet and memrise

I would advise getting duolingo if you don’t already have it, choose the Spanish course and you can do a starter test which will assess your level and start you on lessons according to your ability. Try to do a little bit each day!
Thank you so much, this is the best spanish advice ever! I’m so eager to try it out!!
Hello I’m in year 9 I’m a very nervous person at school and others but I think I made a terrible decision, see on my paper i chose gcse spanish i thought i should challenge my self but past the six week holidays i had regrets because i dont know spanish i only know french if i tell my friends they will say im an idiot and laugh in my face, i just dont know what to do its gon six weeks i have spanish tommorow im nevous please help what should i do
Well you can always just ask your head of year to change your option (if it’s possible)to French.

But as a student in y10 whose taken spanish since y7 it’s really not as hard as you think. It’s quite similar to French in many ways and in my opinion it’s easier to memorise vocabulary.

Just give it a try and don’t be nervous. If it’s really that bad I’m sure your teacher will let you switch to French. You should just do what you think is best for you. And spanish may be a bit of a challenge sometimes (there’s sooooo many tenses) but I’m pretty sure you can cope.
Good luck!
If you have any questions on Spanish gcse feel free to ask (although I might not have all the answers) :smile:
Original post by Jack Mock
Hello I’m in year 9 I’m a very nervous person at school and others but I think I made a terrible decision, see on my paper i chose gcse spanish i thought i should challenge my self but past the six week holidays i had regrets because i dont know spanish i only know french if i tell my friends they will say im an idiot and laugh in my face, i just dont know what to do its gon six weeks i have spanish tommorow im nevous please help what should i do

It's definitely possible to learn another language in 3 years! I remember my spanish teacher saying she did French from year 7 and then took up Spanish as well in year 10.

I took French for a year and a half and switched to Spanish which was much easier but if you're not sure, you should be able to switch to another language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending