The Student Room Group

Which sampling technique to use for my fieldwork?

For my fieldwork, what sampling technique do I use when I choose my area?

So I am going to do my local ward. The area is big so how do I know which street to collect my data from? There's 1 ward (made up of loads of streets) but how do I collect fieldwork from within this ward? I was going to do a random sample and choose 1 street and then compare it with another street from another ward. But it would 'closes the scope of the study' since I'm just comparing 2 streets. I would like to compare an area. I don't how to do this or what sampling technique to use.

If this makes sense to anyone, please help me.
Original post by Strawberrry
For my fieldwork, what sampling technique do I use when I choose my area?

So I am going to do my local ward. The area is big so how do I know which street to collect my data from? There's 1 ward (made up of loads of streets) but how do I collect fieldwork from within this ward? I was going to do a random sample and choose 1 street and then compare it with another street from another ward. But it would 'closes the scope of the study' since I'm just comparing 2 streets. I would like to compare an area. I don't how to do this or what sampling technique to use.

If this makes sense to anyone, please help me.

What are you sampling?
Reply 2
Original post by GreenBell
What are you sampling?

My wider research question is whether crime and deprivation are related in two areas. One area being inner city and one being suburban. So I'm collecting lots of data for example I'm doing a noise pollution survey, environmental survey, handing out questionnaires, vandalism audit ect. But I need help choosing the areas within my ward and justify how I choose it.
Original post by Strawberrry
My wider research question is whether crime and deprivation are related in two areas. One area being inner city and one being suburban. So I'm collecting lots of data for example I'm doing a noise pollution survey, environmental survey, handing out questionnaires, vandalism audit ect. But I need help choosing the areas within my ward and justify how I choose it.

Oh I understand. It would def need to be a random sample. But maybe instead of doing one street you can do a number of houses in a single street so that you can have wider sampled area. You would need to pick how many houses you would sample your self depending on how much time, money etc.
Reply 4
Original post by GreenBell
Oh I understand. It would def need to be a random sample. But maybe instead of doing one street you can do a number of houses in a single street so that you can have wider sampled area. You would need to pick how many houses you would sample your self depending on how much time, money etc.

Ok, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply