The Student Room Group

Best/worst A-levels

Anyone have any opinions/ advice on what the best and worst a-levels are to take??

Scroll to see replies

Unless you want to go down a very specific career path e.g a solicitor, barrister or psychologist I’d say skip out on Law and Psychology, they’re a lot of work and you’d be better off taking an easier and more enjoyable subject (of course it depends on what you personally want to do though) :smile:
biology is really interesting .
Original post by Gracephene
Unless you want to go down a very specific career path e.g a solicitor, barrister or psychologist I’d say skip out on Law and Psychology, they’re a lot of work and you’d be better off taking an easier and more enjoyable subject (of course it depends on what you personally want to do though) :smile:

Actually on law for A Level, I'm applying for law and so many professors at various unis say they prefer students to have not taken the A Level as it's v different to the degree
I think the arty subjects (like creative writing and photography) are best purely because of the creative freedom you get
Some unis legit don't count General Studies as a grade so can we say that's the worst?
Yes I’ve heard that with law, uni lecturers like students to be blank slates, otherwise they have to “unteach” you things
Original post by Gracephene
I think the arty subjects (like creative writing and photography) are best purely because of the creative freedom you get

Creative Writing is being phased out by the government! This is the last year anyone can take it I believe. If not, I would recommend it if you really are passionate about reading and writing. I take it and sometimes its horribly forced and teachers almost try to teach creativity, which you can never truly do, but it's worth a shot of you want to go into a career involving writing/journalism/etc in the future as it really helps refine your skills in every form of writing.
Original post by Aimeekh
Anyone have any opinions/ advice on what the best and worst a-levels are to take??

Is that not up to people themselves? Me for instance as a person who is being passionate to (natural) sciences would say triple science in combination with (further) mathematics. And I am sure another science lovers would decide in this way too.

The worst I can imagine for myself are languages. And people who are not talented for learning those think the same.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by notveryoriginal
Actually on law for A Level, I'm applying for law and so many professors at various unis say they prefer students to have not taken the A Level as it's v different to the degree

This is still true to an extent but not as major as it was 10 years ago. Nonetheless I still dropped it like it was hot when I found out it was being taught by the business teachers!
I feel like Maths is one of the best subjects to take. It gives a solid basis for a wide range of career paths and you can talk about a lot of skills you get from it, e.g. problem solving, analytical thinking
well most uni's don't accept critical thinking because that's not really an a-level sooooo i guess that's the worst , i would say chemistry is one of the best imo
Original post by melgoodchild
I feel like Maths is one of the best subjects to take. It gives a solid basis for a wide range of career paths and you can talk about a lot of skills you get from it, e.g. problem solving, analytical thinking

Don’t forget that extra 10% added onto your salary
Original post by Fonzworth
This is still true to an extent but not as major as it was 10 years ago. Nonetheless I still dropped it like it was hot when I found out it was being taught by the business teachers!

Lol that's like at my school they've got an English Lit teacher teaching politics this year. Just give the poor students the textbook, leave them in a room and be done with it; it'll have the same effect
Reply 14

I am thinking of doing Law however unsure on career path. I want to do law A Level so I understand it and have a feel for the subject and with that knowledge decide if I want to pursue it. So, I'm wary if I should do it or not? I really want to take it for background knowledge but you say people are put off by it.
Original post by Exo9
I am thinking of doing Law however unsure on career path. I want to do law A Level so I understand it and have a feel for the subject and with that knowledge decide if I want to pursue it. So, I'm wary if I should do it or not? I really want to take it for background knowledge but you say people are put off by it.

I mean I'm no bastion of knowledge BUT from what I have picked up, I'd say avoid.

You know how in GCSE chemistry it's all a bit dumbed down from the truth to the point where if you take it at A Level you have to get re-taught a lot of things, like electron shells are not in fact 2,5,5,8? I believe it's something like that, and unis just cba with doing that reboot. However, again, I am not the be all and end all here, so if you want to do it then your decision.

Honestly though, my opinion here is if you want to get a grounding and background knowledge, do wider reading. It looks gr8 on your personal statement. And if you want A Levels that they like for law, English lit and history are good, and also philosophy and ethics/religious education is pretty good, particularly bc the philosophy aspect gets you honest to god thinking if you engage with it and attempt to form your own opinions, rather than just learning by rote, something which admissions tutors apparently love (going by Cambridge particularly).
Reply 16
I mean I'm no bastion of knowledge BUT from what I have picked up, I'd say avoid.

You know how in GCSE chemistry it's all a bit dumbed down from the truth to the point where if you take it at A Level you have to get re-taught a lot of things, like electron shells are not in fact 2,5,5,8? I believe it's something like that, and unis just cba with doing that reboot. However, again, I am not the be all and end all here, so if you want to do it then your decision.

Honestly though, my opinion here is if you want to get a grounding and background knowledge, do wider reading. It looks gr8 on your personal statement. And if you want A Levels that they like for law, English lit and history are good, and also philosophy and ethics/religious education is pretty good, particularly bc the philosophy aspect gets you honest to god thinking if you engage with it and attempt to form your own opinions, rather than just learning by rote, something which admissions tutors apparently love (going by Cambridge particularly).

I see and the chemistry analogy has made me understand more, thank you for your insight. I was just surprised that universities don't prefer it, will I not get an offer based on the fact that I did A Level Law If I choose to pursue it?
Original post by Exo9
I see and the chemistry analogy has made me understand more, thank you for your insight. I was just surprised that universities don't prefer it, will I not get an offer based on the fact that I did A Level Law If I choose to pursue it?

I doubt they'd exlude you based on it, it's more that you could have used that spot for something else which they prefer, and you're losing out on that little hoist up, however it's certainly not the end of the world, so don't fret! I'm sure you'll do fine
Original post by sulaimanali
biology is really interesting .

You are right. It is interesting, but the other sciences at this level as well, even if they are harder to learn.
Reply 19
I doubt they'd exlude you based on it, it's more that you could have used that spot for something else which they prefer, and you're losing out on that little hoist up, however it's certainly not the end of the world, so don't fret! I'm sure you'll do fine

If I do well in the subject, and my other A Levels, will they still be put off?
But thank you for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending