The Student Room Group

Applying to Mathematics with C at AS.

I love maths, but due to complacent I ended up getting a C at AS( B in C1, A in C2 and D in S1 :frown: ). Even though I was 3 ums off a B i plan on retaking all of my AS modules this year. Is there any point in applying to universities such as York, Manchester,Birmingham etc that require an A in maths? My teacher thinks I can get an A but he is only predicting me a B.

Side note: A2 maths is going well so far...
Original post by MajorFader
I love maths, but due to complacent I ended up getting a C at AS( B in C1, A in C2 and D in S1 :frown: ). Even though I was 3 ums off a B i plan on retaking all of my AS modules this year. Is there any point in applying to universities such as York, Manchester,Birmingham etc that require an A in maths? My teacher thinks I can get an A but he is only predicting me a B.

They normally require an A, so of your teacher is predicting a B then you are at a disadvantage.

If it were me, then I would sit the exam and then apply after either though clearing or take a gap based on the fact of an achieved A. Its sometimes an A*
(unless you have FM) so do check

Also look to see if theres any chance of a degree with foundation year
Reply 2

Aren't you taking Further Maths? If they require an A/A* then it will be hard because you won't even meet their A-Level requirements. Some may also like Further Maths.
Reply 3
Original post by Black Water
Aren't you taking Further Maths? If they require an A/A* then it will be hard because you won't even meet their A-Level requirements. Some may also like Further Maths.

No but I am self teaching AS further maths. Plenty of good Unis don’t have further maths as a requirement.
Reply 4
No but I am self teaching AS further maths. Plenty of good Unis don’t have further maths as a requirement.

Fair enough. It'll also depend on where you want to apply to.
Reply 5
Fair enough. It'll also depend on where you want to apply to.

Yeah exactly. Thanks
Reply 6
Yeah exactly. Thanks

No problem. If you don't meet a university's requirements, make sure you contact and ask them if you'll be considered before you apply. You don't want to end up getting a straight rejection.
Reply 7
No problem. If you don't meet a university's requirements, make sure you contact and ask them if you'll be considered before you apply. You don't want to end up getting a straight rejection.

Yh I feel like I’m if I do that I would get a generic response. Along the lines of “we consider each applicant on an individual basis”
Reply 8
Yh I feel like I’m if I do that I would get a generic response. Along the lines of “we consider each applicant on an individual basis”

You'll probably hear that at almost every response. However, you could ask a more direct question like: "If my A-Level target grades don't meet your A-Level requirements yet I still apply, will I face a immediate rejection?". Something along those lines I guess.
Reply 9
You'll probably hear that at almost every response. However, you could ask a more direct question like: "If my A-Level target grades don't meet your A-Level requirements yet I still apply, will I face a immediate rejection?". Something along those lines I guess.

I see okay.
Reply 10
I see okay.

Yeah, that's what I meant. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest