The Student Room Group

How to get an A in Higher Modern Studies?

Hello!

Just to ask anyone who’s obtained an A in CfE H Modern Studies, what advice do you have on achieving an A?
I really need an A in this subject.

I hear lots about people making essay plans and such, but where do you get the essay questions from and how do you manage to fit these into exam questions (they’re incredibly unpredictable!) ?

Please, if anyone has any good tips on achieving an A I would be so appreciative.

Scroll to see replies

Honestly it was just memorising essay plans for me. What topics are you doing for each section because if they're the same as mine I might have some plans somewhere, the very least like an outline
Reply 2
Original post by sporteous
Honestly it was just memorising essay plans for me. What topics are you doing for each section because if they're the same as mine I might have some plans somewhere, the very least like an outline

Social inequality, USA and world powers.

How did you come about with making up potential questions though? That’s the thing that confuses me the most.
The way we were taught was like for the world issues section you could only really be asked causes, impact and responses. So I learned the causes of underdevelopment, how it affects the community, how it affects the rest of the world, and how the world responds (i.e bilateral aid etc). It varies for each unit but that's kinda the basic. You can also look at the past papers and see the questions that have come up in your topics before and structure the bits that are yet to come up like that and then revise all of them if that makes sense
Also make sure you revise everything, even things that have come up more than once. I made this mistake and left out four essays in two units and it ended up those came up😅 Still got my A though so
Reply 5
Also make sure you revise everything, even things that have come up more than once. I made this mistake and left out four essays in two units and it ended up those came up😅 Still got my A though so

Did you use the course spec?
I don't know what that is so i dont think so😂
Reply 7
I don't know what that is so i dont think so😂

Nevermind then 😂. Thanks for the tips though. Did you study social inequality or crime and law?
yeah I did crime and law, world issues and democracy in the UK
Reply 9
yeah I did crime and law, world issues and democracy in the UK

Do you happen to still have any democracy essay plans?
I can have a look tomorrow for you, should do somewhere
I can have a look tomorrow for you, should do somewhere

Thank you so much!!! How did you find the assignment last year?
Make essay plans for every possible question, I got 89% in H mods - my assignment was rubbish but I nailed all the essays, always use recent statistics. When it comes to the exam you'll have this bank of knowledge and can adapt easily to any questions but you can only achieve this via making loads of essay plans.
Original post by Nuba123
Make essay plans for every possible question, I got 89% in H mods - my assignment was rubbish but I nailed all the essays, always use recent statistics. When it comes to the exam you'll have this bank of knowledge and can adapt easily to any questions but you can only achieve this via making loads of essay plans.

Hey! Thank you for your response.

Where/how did you manage to form your essay questions? Do you still have any plans etc?
i basically used the essays in the past paper book, and sorry no, I chucked it all out :frown:
Original post by _Matthew01_
Hey! Thank you for your response.

Where/how did you manage to form your essay questions? Do you still have any plans etc?
Original post by Nuba123
i basically used the essays in the past paper book, and sorry no, I chucked it all out :frown:

Which past paper book??
Thank you so much!!! How did you find the assignment last year?

I found it pretty easy tbh, did mine on voter turnout in the UK which was a bit diff to everyone else's but it still counts as a social issue. I'm not sure what i got in it but in my practises I got around 70-80%
Do you happen to still have any democracy essay plans?

I found all my old essays, think they all got 12/12 and 20/20. They're not essay plans though but do you want them?
I found all my old essays, think they all got 12/12 and 20/20. They're not essay plans though but do you want them?

I would be very thankful! Yes please!!! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending