The Student Room Group

I am regretting my a level choices.

I am doing biology,chemistry and maths I should have done physics,maths and further maths instead.I originally did further maths but dropped it as it was too much.As a result a physics or maths degree is out of the picture and it is too late now.I always wanted to be a doctor but reflecting on work experience in hospital I did not enjoy it that much.I still want to be a doctor but now as much as I used to now I feel like I would not mind doing a different job to be honest.I feel like the reality of being a doctor is not that great the main cause being the NHS itself as it is underfunded and underappreciated by the government.Doctors work long shifts and they are not paid what they deserve to be paid.I feel like they need a lot of doctors so they encourage people to do it but when it gets to applying to medical schools it is so oversubscribed you end up getting slapped in the face as not only are the requirements so high grade wise you need to amazing in so many other ways.

I just don't know whether the rewarding nature of medicine is worth it if I am honest because the government does not respect its doctors, teachers, nurses and other important people.I will still pursue medicine but I don't love the profession as much as I used to.I have always been so proud of our NHS but seeing the way the government treats it makes me deeply saddened.I don't know what to do in the back of my head I would love to do a maths degree but it is too late and I don't want a science degree of any sort so I will have to do medicine I would not mind doing it as much but I don't feel such excitement towards the field of medicine as I once did.

I remember going for hospital experience 30 minutes early so excited could not wait to get started and after my week at the hospital I still wanted to be a doctor but not as much as I once did.
So long as you are doing maths you can still do maths at University if you do decide that's something you'd rather do. And if you really want to do Physics you could do it with a foundation year that is quite commonly offered for Physics. Hope that helps.
You can do maths and university with your subjects no problem and if you wanted to do Physics at University then you can do a foundation year. Hope that helps
I would say that if you really don't want to pursue medicine any further and want to go down the mathematical or physics route for a career path your best option would be to try and gain as much relevant work experience as possible and justify your choices within your personal statement. A university will most likely understand that you have changed your mind as many people do after gaining experience in a job but you need to prove to them that maths/physics is your real passion and for this work experience and extra reading/ research around the subject is your best bet. I still highly recommend you talk to a teacher about this who would be willing to help you sort through your options.
You can do maths at University with those a levels and with Physics you could do a foundation year. Hope that helps.
Studying a maths degree is fine with those options as you are doing maths. With physics you will need to do a foundation year to get you up to scratch
Reply 6
Original post by Anisa100
I would say that if you really don't want to pursue medicine any further and want to go down the mathematical or physics route for a career path your best option would be to try and gain as much relevant work experience as possible and justify your choices within your personal statement. A university will most likely understand that you have changed your mind as many people do after gaining experience in a job but you need to prove to them that maths/physics is your real passion and for this work experience and extra reading/ research around the subject is your best bet. I still highly recommend you talk to a teacher about this who would be willing to help you sort through your options.

It is an entry requirement from the majority of universities to do further maths for a levels for a maths degree and physics for a physics degree and it is too late to change a levels.
If you don't want to do medicine then seriously speak to your school
I think you can get on a maths degree without FM. Maybe not oxbridge, but certainly others,
You can also do the Further Maths Support Network web courses (you have to pay) to learn FM.

Definitely speak to your school too.
Reply 9
Original post by Mancmike300
I think you can get on a maths degree without FM. Maybe not oxbridge, but certainly others,
You can also do the Further Maths Support Network web courses (you have to pay) to learn FM.

I know I would struggle as I am not that strong mathematically but I wonder whether it is possible to do further maths during a gap year and then apply to university as I really want to go to imperial.
Original post by Mancmike300

I know I would struggle as I am not that strong mathematically but I wonder whether it is possible to do further maths during a gap year and then apply to university as I really want to go to imperial.My school would not allow us to change.
I would suggest you seek advice from your school about your maths. You say you are not strong at it, so I would be cautious about saying imperial is viable - its one of the top maths degrees. The typical entry requires A* in maths and A* in FM. There are other good unis that are less demanding.

Some schools will allow you to study FM A level in an extra year and the FMSN may be able to do this - check out their website.

Re medicine - my partner is a doctor and adores the job. There are frustrations about working in a big bureaucracy with high patient demand, but making people well is still rewarding. Just be sure your reasons for changing direction are strong for you. Best wishes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending