The Student Room Group

Ignorant roommate with her alarms, help!

Scroll to see replies

I would recommend some warm bum sex with her should do the trick. Everyone will be pleasured, plus the hard on will create endorphins which will help to sleep better and more efficiently hence waking up at 8am will not be a b!tch more of a pleasant awakening!
Reply 41
Original post by waiduokliuke
So I live in a shared room with this girl. She has a very lazy ass to wake up. I mean, I understand when you are alone in your own room at home and set 7 alarms, cause you can afford sleeping trough all of them - that's fine. But when i have a lecture at 1pm, and she sets her 5 alarms at 8am (which, not to mention, are super loud), sleeps till the last one.. At the end i'm awake as well, when i could afford to sleep at least 2 more hours. It's just really annoying, unthoughtful and selfish of her.. Is it possible to solve this problem in a friendly way? I asked her kindly twice to make it 2 alarms, or try to wake up on the firsts ones, but she claims she would sleep through and miss the lectures. Also, on the second-third alarm i usually try waking her up by shouting at her, but she still keeps sleeping..

do you know what earplugs are? they are these wonderful wax buds that you can just pop into your ear and you can sleep through everything! you can buys them at sears and any supermarket worldwide! amazing :u:
Of course everyone knows what earplugs are!
However this method is no where near as effective as some warm bum sex. Trust me!

Original post by tssclub
do you know what earplugs are? they are these wonderful wax buds that you can just pop into your ear and you can sleep through everything! you can buys them at sears and any supermarket worldwide! amazing :u:
Is 5-7 alarms also a perfectly reasonable thing? :biggrin:

To be honest, I have to set several alarms to wake up. Because otherwise I simply don't wake up. I'll start to wake up after the 2nd or 3rd, but I'll be half asleep and have no recollection of turning the alarms off. So I basically sleep through them, but it helps me wake up.

If I was annoying anyone doing that, I'd say sorry but it would continue, because I cannot help it.
when the first alarm goes off I would get up and start screaming fire so she wakes up :lol: or splash water on her to get her up
Original post by doodle_333
She's definitely being selfish here. I have the same issue with my partner - he likes to have several alarms at various intervals over 1 hour or more before he gets up. I'm awake as soon as the first alarm goes off so it drives me mad. We found a compromise though, he sets less alarms and makes the first ones quieter and has vibrate on with the phone under his pillow so the vibrate wakes him up. 8am isn't crazy early but frankly it would be annoying if I was awake already to have 5 different loud noises at regular intervals and it's totally unnecessary. Anyone who says they 'need' 5 alarms is just lazy, if you're awake enough to turn the first one off then you're awake enough to stand up and once you're stood up you won't fall asleep again.

Talk to her again about it and ask her to reduce it to two and force herself to get up. If not you could try forcing her to get up after 1-2 alarms by going over and yelling at her/shaking her/tipping water on her etc until she decides it's more effort than it's worth to set so many alarms and stops. Or you could try setting you own alarms at inconsiderate times. The simplest thing would be ear plugs and go to bed early enough that 8am isn't so painful.

Just because not everyone is awake on the first one like you, does not make them lazy.

I set multiple alarms because otherwise I just won't wake up. I turn off the other ones in my sleep, because I never have any recollection of them going off. But it clearly helps draw me out of sleep because if I only set one I just sleep right through it. Tried all sorts, but I've been like this for years.
Reply 46
Original post by SophieSmall

Just because not everyone is awake on the first one like you, does not make them lazy.

I set multiple alarms because otherwise I just won't wake up. I turn off the other ones in my sleep, because I never have any recollection of them going off. But it clearly helps draw me out of sleep because if I only set one I just sleep right through it. Tried all sorts, but I've been like this for years.

I'm just the same as this, and people who just wake up don't understand!!!! I'm also very jealous of people who have a body clock and wake up at the right time for work without any alarms...

I'm really trying to wean myself off it at the moment. I've started by having a light bulb that fades up to daylight by the time my first alarm goes off. That's helped me a lot, if you haven't already tried that you might want to give it a go. I use a smart bulb (by Lifx) but I know they do alarms for the same function. I've been successful at waking up and staying awake with the first alarm sound for 2 days in a row now. Woo-hoo!! We'll see how long it lasts lol.

It drives my husband crazy that I have multiple snoozes, but also he gets annoyed at the light. I also suggested one of those alarms that flies around and he said that would drive him crazy lol. I think the problem is just I need a lot to wake me, and keep me awake, and he wakes easily. So whatever I have that's enough to wake me, will always wake him unnecessarily.
I'm also someone who tends to set a few alarms and snooze my way through the first couple if I'm not disturbing anyone with it, but if I have an important reason to be up I always manage to respond to alarm #1 and I suspect most people who claim they 'can't' get up with just one alarm could also manage with sufficient motivation. I guess it comes down to whether not unnecessarily disturbing OP for a significant period of time is sufficient motivation for OP's roommate to just get out of bed the first time round.

I'd consider it a pretty gratuitous and inconsiderate interruption of my sleep if a roommate decided they needed seven alarms every single morning and I'd probably make a fuss about it. If you can't get up on alarm number 2 or 3 at least, either get more sleep, get a louder alarm, or get some more willpower tbqh.
Wet sponge. After the second alarm squeeze it over her face. She'll wake up then.

Unless she's dead...
Wow. I've just read through this thread and I can't believe there are so many ignorant, unsympathetic fools. Of course 8am is an early start! Especially when the OP has to wake up so many hours later! And 5 alrams?? I'm feeling slightly murderous at the thought!
Argh, I don't know why I'm so riled up (uhum probably because of all the fools on this thread uhum) but I am feeling incredibly irritated on your behalf. I've had to deal with this sort of thing before where I've had to be up at 9 or 10 am and someone thinks it's a good idea to set their alarm for 5am because "that's when [they] naturally wake up"!:colonhash: (You can see my pent-up frustration heh :colondollar:)

I think someone's already mentioned it, but if this girl can't be a considerate roommate and listen to you when you talk to her about it, you need to go further than diplomacy. Turn on alarm clocks at multiple times throughout the night right near her (yes, it'll be a rough night for you too, but you need to get the message to her somehow!) so she gets a taste of her own medicine and when she indignantly confronts you, you can explain that that is exactly how you feel about her alarms.
*shudders*
I hope everything works out for you and you somehow get rid of this roommate from hell.
Reply 50
Original post by SophieSmall

Happens to me too at times.

I'll have set the alarm, then wake up hours later after I'm supposed to get up ...and it turns out I must of woke up momentarily and turned them off, yet I have no recolection of the event whatsoever

when I was a child on occasion my parents would give me something to eat/drink in the night ...and i'd often have no recolection of it in the morning for some reason.

I find a good way of not being victim to the turning the alarms off and going back to sleep and can't remember anything is to set the alarms, and put them far away from your bed so you HAVE to physically get up to turn them off. This often works I find.

I have two alarms and if I do this it usually works, but if i put the two alarms right by head .. I find I tend to turn them off and go back to sleep and can't remember doing it........
Steal her alarm clock and sell it on eBay for a pack of hobnobs.

Sorted.
Get a spray bottle of water and spray her like a cat after the first alarm. It's surprisingly effective.
Original post by ANM775
Happens to me too at times.

I'll have set the alarm, then wake up hours later after I'm supposed to get up ...and it turns out I must of woke up momentarily and turned them off, yet I have no recolection of the event whatsoever

when I was a child on occasion my parents would give me something to eat/drink in the night ...and i'd often have no recolection of it in the morning for some reason.

I find a good way of not being victim to the turning the alarms off and going back to sleep and can't remember anything is to set the alarms, and put them far away from your bed so you HAVE to physically get up to turn them off. This often works I find.

I have two alarms and if I do this it usually works, but if i put the two alarms right by head .. I find I tend to turn them off and go back to sleep and can't remember doing it........

Lol same thing with my mum giving me food or drink in the night. I'd eat it fast asleep and have no idea I was doing it. I have tried putting my alarm at the other side of the room. Still happens.
Suggest she gets an alarm clock that vibrates. I had one years ago (because I have issues with my hearing) that you can put under your pillow / clip to your pyjamas that vibrates. It was strong enough to wake me up.
Reply 55
buy 17 alarm clocks, set them all to random times...and hide them 😂
So I live in a shared room with this girl. She has a very lazy ass to wake up. I mean, I understand when you are alone in your own room at home and set 7 alarms, cause you can afford sleeping trough all of them - that's fine. But when i have a lecture at 1pm, and she sets her 5 alarms at 8am (which, not to mention, are super loud), sleeps till the last one.. At the end i'm awake as well, when i could afford to sleep at least 2 more hours. It's just really annoying, unthoughtful and selfish of her.. Is it possible to solve this problem in a friendly way? I asked her kindly twice to make it 2 alarms, or try to wake up on the firsts ones, but she claims she would sleep through and miss the lectures. Also, on the second-third alarm i usually try waking her up by shouting at her, but she still keeps sleeping..

Hi

Tbh 8am is a respectably time to wake up. But if you are a night owl and need those extra hours I would understand. However, if you cannot reach a decision amicably then it is better than you invest in a good pair of ear plugs or maybe switch your routine up a bit. Or try these below mentioned sound proofing techniques.
1. Get some rugs.

A bare floor creates sound with the shuffling of feet and heels while also echoing and doing nothing to absorb sound waves within a dorm room. Cover your floor with a rug or a carpet (the thicker the better). Not only will you work to mitigate sound within your dorm room, but you will also have a comfortable, cushioned floor perfect for activities (board games anyone?).

2. Put some art on the walls.

Wall decorations are also very important to consider when looking to reduce noise in style. You can cover walls with fun tapestries or large framed images, but the best kind of wall covering is foam or fabric covered cork board. Try to do more than hanging posters and remember, that you need to ‘thicken’ the wall.

3. Get soundproofing curtains.

Chances are there is noise also entering through the windows from the streets as well. That is why it is vital to think about blocking outside sounds and soundproofing curtains are a great option for that. Check out our sound blocking AcousticCurtain which blocks up to 90% of noise and is 100% blackout as well, creating the optimal sleep sanctuary. Whether it’s for a late night, a mid-day nap or a weekend of studying, sound blocking curtains are an easy to install, cost-effective addition to any dorm or apartment.

4. Buy some creative sound machines.

The final step in creating a peaceful environment is to create your own white noise to distract you from other unpleasant and intrusive sounds. Look at your local thrift store for a used fan or humidifier to provide static noise that will drown out external sound. Play a radio softly in the background or consider purchasing a small sound machine to control what you hear, with options to hear a rainstorm or crashing waves.

5. Correctly arrange furniture.

One of the easiest ways to reduce noise within your dorm room or apartment is to arrange your furniture so that it blocks sound transmission. Move your furniture close to the walls. Ideally, you want your bed, dresser, desk etc. lined up against all your walls. Your dorm bed is especially thick and is great for absorbing vibrations. If possible be sure to fill empty spaces with functional furniture.

Whatever options you choose, remember that nothing should distract you from enjoying your college dorm experience especially noise. Skyrocket your GPA, and #SleepWell!
Reply 57
after the first alarm goes off, get straight out of bed, shake her awake, and say "alarm's going off. time to get up." don't let her fall back asleep.

Quick Reply

Latest