The Student Room Group

Commercial law ( law of contact)

Lyndsey arrived at her business premises to discover that a fire had broken out in the stock room. She called the emergency service and when the fire fighters arrived at the scene Lyndsey told them that the content of her office were extremely valuable and contained irreplaceable items. As such, if they could prevent the fire spreading there she would reward them with £100 each. The fire fighters were successful in extinguishing the fire and it did not reach Lyndsey's office. Can the fir fighters claim the reward promised?
A Unilateral offer is a promise in exchange for the performance of something.

L makes a promise to FF based on conditions X - if they succeed they will be rewarded with Y. Have the FF met the conditions of the offer? Yes. And so it is enforceable. (Carbolic Smoke Ball)
This is about comparing Ward v Byham, Collins v Godfrey and the one about the boat.
Original post by James1997c
A Unilateral offer is a promise in exchange for the performance of something.

L makes a promise to FF based on conditions X - if they succeed they will be rewarded with Y. Have the FF met the conditions of the offer? Yes. And so it is enforceable. (Carbolic Smoke Ball)

That's all a bit obvious, don't you think?
Original post by Trinculo
That's all a bit obvious, don't you think?

The OP is obviously a beginner, the question is a simple one? And yeah my answer is a gross oversimplification.
The OP is obviously a beginner, the question is a simple one? And yeah my answer is a gross oversimplification.

It's not about oversimplification - offer/acceptance/unilateral contract is probably only about 10% of the marks - if that.
It's not about oversimplification - offer/acceptance/unilateral contract is probably only about 10% of the marks - if that.

Not sure what you're on about mate. I said my response was an oversimplification.
Not sure what you're on about mate. I said my response was an oversimplification.

An oversimplification to the extent that it's probably the wrong answer and entirely misses the point of the question.

Any idiot can get offer/acceptance of a unilateral offer. The point is that this question did not need to be asked in that way. Just saying "it's a contract, they performed" will get you a fail grade on this kind of question.
An oversimplification to the extent that it's probably the wrong answer and entirely misses the point of the question.

Any idiot can get offer/acceptance of a unilateral offer. The point is that this question did not need to be asked in that way. Just saying "it's a contract, they performed" will get you a fail grade on this kind of question.

"This is about comparing Ward v Byham, Collins v Godfrey and the one about the boat. "

Your own criticism applies to your post. Nice one.
Reply 9
Theoretically they could claim, but in the real worls they wouldn't..There would be cause to fire the.fire fighters of they did, a public servant cannot be seen to be taking money or reward for doing or nor doing their job to any degree
This is kind of worrying. I'm pretty sure the OP is asking for an answer to Contract law as part of an undergraduate degree. No one commenting has studied law, with me being the only exception. Don't confuse him.
This is kind of worrying. I'm pretty sure the OP is asking for an answer to Contract law as part of an undergraduate degree. No one commenting has studied law, with me being the only exception. Don't confuse him.

Whether or not that's true, I agree with Trinculo that an answer that deals only with unilateral offers would be a bad fail.

The second issue, as Trinculo pointed out slightly cryptically, is whether there is any consideration for Lyndsey's promise given that the firefighters were already under a contractual and a public duty to prevent the fire spreading.

You one of them famed and rare law students? It is a pleasure to meet ya, pal.

Original post by champagnepabzel
Lyndsey arrived at her business premises to discover that a fire had broken out in the stock room. She called the emergency service and when the fire fighters arrived at the scene Lyndsey told them that the content of her office were extremely valuable and contained irreplaceable items. As such, if they could prevent the fire spreading there she would reward them with £100 each. The fire fighters were successful in extinguishing the fire and it did not reach Lyndsey's office. Can the fir fighters claim the reward promised?

You should read chapter 4 of Chitty. It is on Westlaw.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending