The Student Room Group

Am i right or are the flatmates right.

Poll

Am i right or wrong?

Here's the situation, unbiased and absolutely trying my best to not make ti seem either sided. This is the situation how it was.

I bring back some cheese from the dining hall because i'm part catered. I bring back some cheese(like those lil packaged block rectangular ones) and i start building up the stack in the communal fridge. I notice that a few days later that some are gone(i counted 6 i brought back and then when i checked there were about 5 left). I ask the person who i suspect that ate it. They laugh and i know instantly it's them who ate it. A minute later trying to get her to admit to it, she does admit and says "I was hungry, so i ate some of your cheese" (she said yours specifically). I ask her why she ate my cheese and she said that it's really my cheese because it's free and i got it from the dining hall. After she said this another flatmate behind her piped up and agreed with her also that it's not really mine because it's free and i got it from the dining hall.

That is the situation. As it happened.

My part i want to say
What do you guys think. Are they right that it isn't my cheese because it's "free" and that it's from the dining hall. Or is it rightly mine because i went to go and get it. Or is it simply wrong due to generic "you don't eat your flatmates food"

If there's anything else you want to ask before making your choice then by all means ask.

All who go to the dining hall have tickets which they all hand 1 in when anyone goes in for a meal. They have access to all the options avaliable to them. For example a hot chocolate fruit, salad bar, just plain ol water and coffee and teabags etc.

I think im not wrong because i pay for it. You can get another 10 tickets for £30 as stated by the dining hall. So if i give a ticket im entitled to what they offer me. If they offer me cheese and i take it, i have indirectly paid for it. In any case you get a bunch of these tickets to start because it's included in my accomodation. The point for me still holds that it's wrong for them to just eat my cheese and keep eating it, After the first time they ate it, i forgot to put it in my mini fridge and i brought more cheese back and then for the 2nd time i noticed more had gone. The obvious thing to do was move them all to my own mini fridge which i did.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think either is right really. I think it's a bit rude of them to eat your food, but I probably wouldn't start an argument over some cheese especially if you can easily get it. Besides, you have 5 more!
Original post by will'o'wisp2
Here's the situation, unbiased and absolutely trying my best to not make ti seem either sided. This is the situation how it was.

I bring back some cheese from the dining hall because i'm part catered. I bring back some cheese(like those lil packaged block rectangular ones) and i start building up the stack in the communal fridge. I notice that a few days later that some are gone(i counted 6 i brought back and then when i checked there were about 5 left). I ask the person who i suspect that ate it. They laugh and i know instantly it's them who ate it. A minute later trying to get her to admit to it, she does admit and says "I was hungry, so i ate some of your cheese" (she said yours specifically). I ask her why she ate my cheese and she said that it's really my cheese because it's free and i got it from the dining hall. After she said this another flatmate behind her piped up and agreed with her also that it's not really mine because it's free and i got it from the dining hall.

That is the situation. As it happened.

My part i want to say
What do you guys think. Are they right that it isn't my cheese because it's "free" and that it's from the dining hall. Or is it rightly mine because i went to go and get it. Or is it simply wrong due to generic "you don't eat your flatmates food"

If there's anything else you want to ask before making your choice then by all means ask.

All who go to the dining hall have tickets which they all hand 1 in when anyone goes in for a meal. They have access to all the options avaliable to them. For example a hot chocolate fruit, salad bar, just plain ol water and coffee and teabags etc.

you know, i'd reckon that you're right in this sense. I'm not at uni, but I'd think that if you get snacks from wherever ( supermarket, catering hall) for you, it should be yours. Meals though i reckon should be for everyone to have. but if you get snacks for yourself ( even if it is in a communal fridge) it should be yours. I suggest putting a sticky note or something on stuff like that for future reference.
Original post by Solitude12
you know, i'd reckon that you're right in this sense. I'm not at uni, but I'd think that if you get snacks from wherever ( supermarket, catering hall) for you, it should be yours. Meals though i reckon should be for everyone to have. but if you get snacks for yourself ( even if it is in a communal fridge) it should be yours. I suggest putting a sticky note or something on stuff like that for future reference.

Doesn't matter. They've drank my milk before and denied it. I saw them do something in the fridge when i came back from my room and i pulled my milk out of the fridge noticed it was lower than before and finished the rest of what was left. I asked a flatmate(different from the one who supported her) and i asked him if they just drank my milk and they said she did. I asked her on the bus on the way back to my accommodation if she has drunk my milk and she denies it. Nothing stops them from using other people's things. They've used other people's stuff and used it without asking and especially consumable stuff which they just use don't ask and say it's ok it's only a little bit for the tea/coffee which they have pretty often and they do add in a lot of milk cus i've been there and watched them.

Doesn't stop her from using my cutlery when all her cutlery has been cleaned by her herself and she said it's clean laying around. I asked her why the **** she used my **** and she just laughed and when "oh so it was yours then" caught her using my **** twice, didn't even clean it up. I barely have any cutlery and she ****ing knows this, she has a set enough for 2-3 people to use so why int he world she chooses to use mine and not hers when hers is literally on the metal part of the sink and is clean as cleaned by her is well beyond me.

Now i just take all my stuff back to my dorm keep the extractor fan on 24/7 and keep 90% of my stuff in my room because she'll just use it. She complains about me complaining about her not washing up when she say but there's no washing up liquid. Ask or buy some your bloody self. It's not difficult but clearly this fool like to complain over nothing. Yes i will complain about your stupid butt when you think i should be praising your for cleaning your own stuff. Congratulations you're slowly starting to build a sense of hygiene which will probably diminishing quickly anyway. Of course she's like but why don't you just dry your stuff on the side over there(pointing to the metal part of the sink where her stuff is stacked so anything else you put on won't stay on or it;ll just fall off. I dunno cus your stuff is there? She never puts her stuff away after she uses it, leaves her food and stuff exposed out over night. She just doesn't clean and when she does she expects high praise and treatment for doing something which is common sense which is apparently not common to her.

LOL
Original post by stressedpotato
I don't think either is right really. I think it's a bit rude of them to eat your food, but I probably wouldn't start an argument over some cheese especially if you can easily get it. Besides, you have 5 more!

Ok nice point.
This is the point. They don't always put out cheddar blocks. She's eaten so far in total of the 11 blocks i've brought back, she's eaten 6. All that's left when i go to breakfast is red Leicester. I don't mind but i dont' particularly like, i have free choice so i don't particularly want it. If you want to read above them please do it explain a lot of why there should be an argument started. She's never asked ans she's done it 2 times already when i noticed.
Doesn't matter. They've drank my milk before and denied it. I saw them do something in the fridge when i came back from my room and i pulled my milk out of the fridge noticed it was lower than before and finished the rest of what was left. I asked a flatmate(different from the one who supported her) and i asked him if they just drank my milk and they said she did. I asked her on the bus on the way back to my accommodation if she has drunk my milk and she denies it. Nothing stops them from using other people's things. They've used other people's stuff and used it without asking and especially consumable stuff which they just use don't ask and say it's ok it's only a little bit for the tea/coffee which they have pretty often and they do add in a lot of milk cus i've been there and watched them.

Doesn't stop her from using my cutlery when all her cutlery has been cleaned by her herself and she said it's clean laying around. I asked her why the **** she used my **** and she just laughed and when "oh so it was yours then" caught her using my **** twice, didn't even clean it up. I barely have any cutlery and she ****ing knows this, she has a set enough for 2-3 people to use so why int he world she chooses to use mine and not hers when hers is literally on the metal part of the sink and is clean as cleaned by her is well beyond me.

Now i just take all my stuff back to my dorm keep the extractor fan on 24/7 and keep 90% of my stuff in my room because she'll just use it. She complains about me complaining about her not washing up when she say but there's no washing up liquid. Ask or buy some your bloody self. It's not difficult but clearly this fool like to complain over nothing. Yes i will complain about your stupid butt when you think i should be praising your for cleaning your own stuff. Congratulations you're slowly starting to build a sense of hygiene which will probably diminishing quickly anyway. Of course she's like but why don't you just dry your stuff on the side over there(pointing to the metal part of the sink where her stuff is stacked so anything else you put on won't stay on or it;ll just fall off. I dunno cus your stuff is there? She never puts her stuff away after she uses it, leaves her food and stuff exposed out over night. She just doesn't clean and when she does she expects high praise and treatment for doing something which is common sense which is apparently not common to her.

wow. she's sounds like a spoilt brat.
wow. she's sounds like a spoilt brat.

did i spill to much? note that she also smokes, drinks to the point where she's been drunk multiple times in the past few weeks and keeps knocking on my door, it's gotten plenty better recently and she's not really doing it anymore but i hope uni will tire her so she stays in more and has less energy to **** about.

note the note that also she complains about having no money while spending so much on cigarettes and alcohol and vodka then i tell her to stop it and smoke less and drink less and she just laughs it off and keeps complaining to other people about it
did i spill to much? note that she also smokes, drinks to the point where she's been drunk multiple times in the past few weeks and keeps knocking on my door, it's gotten plenty better recently and she's not really doing it anymore but i hope uni will tire her so she stays in more and has less energy to **** about.

note the note that also she complains about having no money while spending so much on cigarettes and alcohol and vodka then i tell her to stop it and smoke less and drink less and she just laughs it off and keeps complaining to other people about it

is there a chance for you to move to a different accommodation? or is it too late in the term for that?
Just tell them that you pay for it so it's not free and tell them to go get cheese themesleves. I would suggest buying your own mini fridge.
is there a chance for you to move to a different accommodation? or is it too late in the term for that?

too late, i gotta deal with this, there's no point anyway because i know whatever it is i will "win" because this accomodation is far away from the uni itself this was is a quiet accomodation with noise rules etc and as such you can report ppl stealing and eating your stuff and you can of course make noise complaints which. So there's plenty what i can do. I can also be a massive weiner and pain in the back for her. I'm a zombie basically so i just go full potato most of the day and don't really get excited by much so i just drink milk and carry on with my life. In any case i just try my best to ignore her stupid bs
too late, i gotta deal with this, there's no point anyway because i know whatever it is i will "win" because this accomodation is far away from the uni itself this was is a quiet accomodation with noise rules etc and as such you can report ppl stealing and eating your stuff and you can of course make noise complaints which. So there's plenty what i can do. I can also be a massive weiner and pain in the back for her. I'm a zombie basically so i just go full potato most of the day and don't really get excited by much so i just drink milk and carry on with my life. In any case i just try my best to ignore her stupid bs

damn, you got it tough. what do your other flatmates think about the situation? have they had food taken off them etc before?
You're in the right. Whether you paid for it or not, you're still the one who went to the effort to take it therefore it became yours.
This is typical childish **** I used to see at school, selfish kid wants something, helps themselves to it and then uses any whiney excuse in the book to try to justify it. These are the selfish type who were probably given everything by their parents. I had friends like that sadly, who thought they had the God-given right to just help themselves to a few of my chips on my plate without even asking first. So damn annoying, but brats will be brats.

Now they've shown their true colours the only thing you can do is store your food somewhere else, where they can't get their greedy little hands on it.
...or steal something that belongs to them, just to make yourself feel better. lol thats what i used to do to people who stole from me. waited until their backs were turned and then stole something from their bag/room and either keep it for myself or throw it away and then secretly smirk when I watched them go crazy trying to find it. but I'm evil like that mwahahahahahaa
Did you ask her why she couldn't go and get her own free cheese to bring back? Or whether she will make a trip down there to collect another free cheese to replace the one she took seeing as you now have less than you need?
Reply 14
Cor-rect

Reply 15
I presume you have locks on your bedroom doors? The only alternative is getting a mini-fridge for your room if its viable.

You are not in the wrong at all. I've been through something not too dissimilar myself and its just annoying so I understand how you feel, why don't they just ****ing ask if they want something as opposed to stealing it. Its pathetic.
Reply 16
I had a slice of cheese go missing once,

I was pretty annoyed.

It happened about 3 days after the "new guy" moved in

It must of been him, ...nothing like that happened before...........
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Just tell them that you pay for it so it's not free and tell them to go get cheese themesleves. I would suggest buying your own mini fridge.

I did, i said i pay for these, it's included in my accommodation so i pay for these whether you agree or disagree. Apparently they still like to think otherwise. You didn't bother to read the beefy paragraph which i don't blame you ^-^ but i do have a mini fridge and atm it's got my cheese sticks and almost 6 pints of milk in.
damn, you got it tough. what do your other flatmates think about the situation? have they had food taken off them etc before?

i'm sure it's not that bad others definitely have it worse somewhere....
They all secretly agree with everyone else but her that no-one really likes her. Ye and people are not happy. A whole bottle of someone else's milk had just disappeared and no-one owned up to it. We think it may be her and her friend coming over and drinking loads of tea and coffee and just drinking the milk. But we will never know.
Original post by yungaheartz
You're in the right. Whether you paid for it or not, you're still the one who went to the effort to take it therefore it became yours.
This is typical childish **** I used to see at school, selfish kid wants something, helps themselves to it and then uses any whiney excuse in the book to try to justify it. These are the selfish type who were probably given everything by their parents. I had friends like that sadly, who thought they had the God-given right to just help themselves to a few of my chips on my plate without even asking first. So damn annoying, but brats will be brats.

Now they've shown their true colours the only thing you can do is store your food somewhere else, where they can't get their greedy little hands on it.
...or steal something that belongs to them, just to make yourself feel better. lol thats what i used to do to people who stole from me. waited until their backs were turned and then stole something from their bag/room and either keep it for myself or throw it away and then secretly smirk when I watched them go crazy trying to find it. but I'm evil like that mwahahahahahaa

haha i'm not that kind of guy although i can if i want to, there's always another way to make their life hell.

It took me some time but it's a real damn good one. She likes to leave her stuff hanging around the clean section of the sink after she washes it. She basically never puts her stuff away. So i thought up the idea to put her stuff back on the dirty pile or back into the sink if she decides to keep using and eating my stuff without asking me at all.

Haven't implemented it. YET
Original post by RockyDennis
Did you ask her why she couldn't go and get her own free cheese to bring back? Or whether she will make a trip down there to collect another free cheese to replace the one she took seeing as you now have less than you need?

Yes, she literally just said well i was just hungry.... and i just ate it. -__________-

She offered but i don't want her to get it, simply because i don't know what she'll do to it. For example i don't drink at all but i can almost guarantee you she's the kind of person to put some vodka in my milk if i leave my drink in the kitchen and go back into my dorm to get something. She does these kind of bs thing y'know. The best way is to get it myself although not ideal. Plus she'd have to spend a ticket to get some cheese. I'm not going to force her to do that.
Original post by utr
I presume you have locks on your bedroom doors? The only alternative is getting a mini-fridge for your room if its viable.

You are not in the wrong at all. I've been through something not too dissimilar myself and its just annoying so I understand how you feel, why don't they just ****ing ask if they want something as opposed to stealing it. Its pathetic.

Yup, i do have a mini fridge, it's currently got my cheese and almost 6 pints on milk in it rn.

It really is, you want me to take a picture and show you the kitchen when it's not at its worst?
Original post by ANM775
I had a slice of cheese go missing once,

I was pretty annoyed.

It happened about 3 days after the "new guy" moved in

It must of been him, ...nothing like that happened before...........

Highly likely my friend. This is why good natured people like me start becoming not nice people.....

lol jk i'm more mature than that, get revenge and make it nice and salty

haha i'm not that kind of guy although i can if i want to, there's always another way to make their life hell.

It took me some time but it's a real damn good one. She likes to leave her stuff hanging around the clean section of the sink after she washes it. She basically never puts her stuff away. So i thought up the idea to put her stuff back on the dirty pile or back into the sink if she decides to keep using and eating my stuff without asking me at all.

Haven't implemented it. YET

DO IT!!!
Original post by yungaheartz
DO IT!!!

No, only if she does it again or does something to my stuff without asking me

Quick Reply

Latest