The Student Room Group

Difference between Theoretical and Practical Comp. sci in an undergraduate level?

Hey, I am interested in applying to oxford and have been doing some research about the course itself.
I came across an interview video where they said the course is more based on the theoretical side of Computer science rather than the practical side of Computer science. What does this even mean? What are some of the coursework you'll be doing on both the sides?

Any insight will be appreciated.
Original post by ta1130
Hey, I am interested in applying to oxford and have been doing some research about the course itself.
I came across an interview video where they said the course is more based on the theoretical side of Computer science rather than the practical side of Computer science. What does this even mean? What are some of the coursework you'll be doing on both the sides?

Any insight will be appreciated.

Can you give me a pointer to the video, please? It's not an accurate reflection of the degree: if it's from our website, we need to do something about it.

I would describe our degree as providing a solid understanding of the foundations of the subject, in order to do practical stuff effectively and correctly. Those foundations are mathematical: we use mathematics to reason about programs or computer systems, either to verify their correctness, or to guide us towards a correct solution, or to analyse their efficiency. The coursework is a spectrum, from purely mathematical proofs, through to direct practical coding.

Gavin
Reply 2
Original post by gavinlowe
Can you give me a pointer to the video, please? It's not an accurate reflection of the degree: if it's from our website, we need to do something about it.

I would describe our degree as providing a solid understanding of the foundations of the subject, in order to do practical stuff effectively and correctly. Those foundations are mathematical: we use mathematics to reason about programs or computer systems, either to verify their correctness, or to guide us towards a correct solution, or to analyse their efficiency. The coursework is a spectrum, from purely mathematical proofs, through to direct practical coding.

Gavin

https://youtu.be/JG-mHQX8eZw

It is the official computer science video provided by the uni. I've seen forums talking about how Oxbridge computer science courses does not really prepare you for the industry, being heavily focused on the academic side of computer science (only having prestige) compared to imperial where students do a lot more practical work. Is this really true? and what do these people ,(in the video too) mean by practical work?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending