The Student Room Group

medical pharmacology for medicine ??

hi everyone! So yesterday I attended the Cardiff university open day as I am interested in studying medicine at university and Cardiff was one of my top choices. However, after speaking to a doctor at the university who happened to be giving lectures on both medicine and medical pharmacology he informed me that my GCSE grades probably wouldn't win me an interview at Cardiff due to the way they score you on your GCSE's.
His advice to me was to either apply at other medical schools who put less emphasis on GCSE's, take a gap year or consider completing a degree in medical pharmacology or another subject that feeds into medicine as a fifth option if I didn't receive any offers for medicine and therefore I would be applying to do medicine as a postgraduate.
My question is, with the grades 2A*,9A and 1B at GCSE and predicted grades of AAA/AAB how likely am I to get a place to do medical pharmacology as I'm clueless as to how competitive these degrees are? I spoke to a lot of current medical student who'd decided to do medicine as a postgraduate and they told me it was the best decision they'd made as they felt more prepared.
Im grateful for any advice anyone could offer!:smile:
Thanks!!
Same I went to the open day however I spoke to several medical admissions tutors and they all said that the cut off point is usually at 23 points onwards ( 29 I believe being the max) and judging by your gcses your top 9 seem to just meet that. If you live in Cardiff make sure that you are a part of the step up programme as you’ll be guaranteed an interview no matter what you achieved in your gcses .
They are also more likely to accept your offer the second time round if you tried to apply there before, gap years are a good opportunity to build up on work experience and gather more references.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by smirreh14
Same I went to the open day however I spoke to several medical admissions tutors and they all said that the cut off point is usually at 23 points onwards ( 29 I believe being the max) and judging by your gcses your top 9 seem to just meet that. If you live in Cardiff make sure that you are a part of the step up programme as you’ll be guaranteed an interview no matter what you achieved in your gcses .
They are also more likely to accept your offer the second time round if you tried to apply there before, gap years are a good opportunity to build up on work experience and gather more references.

Hi, thankyou for replying! I got 22 points not 23, but I’m wondering if you could tell me more about he step up programme?
Your school should inform you about it, theydgive you a slip and if you fit into the criteria ; poor postcode background , first in family to go uni etc. Then you’ll be eligible . Only for Cardiff Sixth form/ college students tho.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by smirreh14
Your school should inform you about it, theydgive you a slip and if you fit into the criteria ; poor postcode background , first in family to go uni etc. Then you’ll be eligible . Only for Cardiff Sixth form/ college students tho.

Oh okay, thankyou anyway😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending