The Student Room Group

I need a bit of advice!

Hi all

I have recently had a baby and I am due to go back to work part time in February! Ever since my experience, it has made me want to go in to midwifery and I am going to apply for next September (I will be a mature student.)

However I have some issues regarding if it’s financially possible, each calculator has given me different answers and I just need some guidance please if anyone can help?

First of all I have been told it’s really hard to find the time to work on a midwifery course and 50 percent of the course is on placement (plus I want to spend time with my baby.)

Last year my partner earnt around £35000, his bonus’s hasn’t been great so far this year and he’ll probably earn somewhere in the region on 27-30,000.

Can some one give me any advice on what maintenance loans and bursary’s I would be entitled to please?!

Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks
Original post by Hrwould
Hi all

I have recently had a baby and I am due to go back to work part time in February! Ever since my experience, it has made me want to go in to midwifery and I am going to apply for next September (I will be a mature student.)

However I have some issues regarding if it’s financially possible, each calculator has given me different answers and I just need some guidance please if anyone can help?

First of all I have been told it’s really hard to find the time to work on a midwifery course and 50 percent of the course is on placement (plus I want to spend time with my baby.)

Last year my partner earnt around £35000, his bonus’s hasn’t been great so far this year and he’ll probably earn somewhere in the region on 27-30,000.

Can some one give me any advice on what maintenance loans and bursary’s I would be entitled to please?!

Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks

Hi Hrwould,

I can only advise you on the current support available, you will need to wait till early next year when the new funding guides are available for 2018.

If you study full time in 2018, we will assess you on your husbands income for the tax year 16/17.

Student finance applications are ordinarily assessed using the sponsor(s) income details from the last complete tax year.

However if the sponsor(s) income has dropped since then, by at least 15% you can request a Current Year Income reassessment (CYI) to be carried out using their expected income for the current tax year.

We would initially ask you to provide the financial information for the tax year asked for, once validated, we would then look at the expected income provided on the CYI and long as it has fallen by at least 15%, you can be confident you will be assessed on the lower figure.

The online calculator will give you an estimate of how much loan you will be entitled to receive.

On top of the Maintenance Loan, depending on your household income you may be entitled to Grants for Dependants.

Grants For Dependants (GFD) are means tested grants awarded to students who have either child or adult dependents or both. They are awarded based upon the level of Household Income and the customers individual circumstances, due to this complex calculation we will only be able to confirm the amount that will be awarded to the student when the assessment has been completed. Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending