The Student Room Group

How many hours of studying are current year 12s doing during half term?

Scroll to see replies

Why is everyone talking about doing **** tons of revision. To make themselves feel superior? It has been like 6 weeks, you can't have learnt that much to have to go over it several times. It's the first half term. Enjoy this one since you won't enjoy the ones to come!
I think I've done about 1 hour so far this half term ??
Haha I'm going to do my homework and make sure I'm up to speed with all the topics in the next few days but I thought it's best to have a break to deal with the transition from gcse to a level. If I can allow myself one half term to do little work in and have a good rest, I pick this one as it is the first.

I think 6 hours is a bit unnecessary? Extra work at this point above consolidation and homework will probably be of little value. Have a break maybe, at least for a couple of days.
btw i have done just my homework as revision
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 43
Usually at least 3 hours a day but they vary.
Yesterday I did 5 hours . Today I did 1 hr 30 mins cos I wanted to relax today
I did pretty much nothing and got steady D's, do with that what you wish.
Reply 45
Original post by niamh787
I think I've done about 1 hour so far this half term ??
Haha I'm going to do my homework and make sure I'm up to speed with all the topics in the next few days but I thought it's best to have a break to deal with the transition from gcse to a level. If I can allow myself one half term to do little work in and have a good rest, I pick this one as it is the first.

I think 6 hours is a bit unnecessary? Extra work at this point above consolidation and homework will probably be of little value. Have a break maybe, at least for a couple of days.

I'm learning ahead of my class as well as just reviewing already covered content, because I find it interesting. And saves me learning it in class so I can just revise it in class when it's taught first time round. Plus I do A Level maths in year 12 so I've got to learn and master AS by November (which to be fair isn't too tricky).
Reply 46
Original post by RedGiant
I'm learning ahead of my class as well as just reviewing already covered content, because I find it interesting. And saves me learning it in class so I can just revise it in class when it's taught first time round. Plus I do A Level maths in year 12 so I've got to learn and master AS by November (which to be fair isn't too tricky).

Ahh same what chapter u on
I'm being quite productive myself, doing 6 hours roughly per day (where I just review the content already covered, learn ahead of my class, and practice applying maths knowledge to questions. I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.

I got all of the homework done by Wednesday. Then I’m going to have 4 days of revision for upcoming block tests. I probably only did about 2 hours a day for the HW bit, but I’m going to do 4 hours a day for the revision.

Are you sure 6 hours a day is a good idea in the long run? You’re meant to have a bit of a break over half term so you don’t burn out by summer term.

Anyway good luck :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by 12ksmith
I got all of the homework done by Wednesday. Then I’m going to have 4 days of revision for upcoming block tests. I probably only did about 2 hours a day for the HW bit, but I’m going to do 4 hours a day for the revision.

Are you sure 6 hours a day is a good idea in the long run? You’re meant to have a bit of a break over half term so you don’t burn out by summer term.

Anyway good luck :smile:

Tbh it's not necessary to do as much as I'm doing (which I accepted a while back now), I am doing it because partly I find it interesting (which is my main motivation currently), and because it's my technique to learn ahead of the class so I am in the best possible position for when I have topic tests (which are used at my school along with year 12 end of year mocks to generate predicted grades). Plus I want full raw marks (140/140) on AS physics, chemistry and A2 maths :colondollar:
Reply 49
Original post by K1NGZ
Ahh same what chapter u on

In (edxecel) AS maths I've completed all chapters now except about half of statistics 2 and a chunk of natural logarithm functions. Don't know if your school did it as quickly as mine but my class has gone through it really quickly.
Tbh it's not necessary to do as much as I'm doing (which I accepted a while back now), I am doing it because partly I find it interesting (which is my main motivation currently), and because it's my technique to learn ahead of the class so I am in the best possible position for when I have topic tests (which are used at my school along with year 12 end of year mocks to generate predicted grades). Plus I want full raw marks (140/140) on AS physics, chemistry and A2 maths :colondollar:

I want to do really well,I’m managing the amount of time I spend working this ‘holiday’. I feel as if I start working full days and throwing in all nighters (like I did for gcse) then I’m just going to burn out come next Easter when we have mocks
Reply 51
I want to do really well,I’m managing the amount of time I spend working this ‘holiday’. I feel as if I start working full days and throwing in all nighters (like I did for gcse) then I’m just going to burn out come next Easter when we have mocks

Fair enough I'm just going from 7AM to 1PM which isn't too difficult for me

How much do you work per school night? I do about 3 hours, sometimes a bit over depending how I feel.

Yeah, it’s not difficult. But I still want a break all the same lol
Reply 54
How much do you work per school night? I do about 3 hours, sometimes a bit over depending how I feel.

3 maybe 4 hours, although it takes over an hour to get to and fro sixth form so I lose a bit of time due to that.
3 maybe 4 hours, although it takes over an hour to get to and fro sixth form so I lose a bit of time due to that.

Can’t you just work while traveling?
Reply 56
Can’t you just work while traveling?

Well I suppose I could write answers down while riding a bike for like half an hour, yes :tongue:

And I could do in the bus but I don't think going that far to study at this point in year 12 is necessary tbh.
Well I suppose I could write answers down while riding a bike for like half an hour, yes :tongue:

And I could do in the bus but I don't think going that far to study at this point in year 12 is necessary tbh.

You are doing studying 6 hours a day which is going pretty far 5 weeks into year 12.

I didn’t mean writing answers on your bike 😂. Just maybe listen to a podcast or something which is relevant to your subjects.
Reply 58
You are doing studying 6 hours a day which is going pretty far 5 weeks into year 12.

I didn’t mean writing answers on your bike 😂. Just maybe listen to a podcast or something which is relevant to your subjects.

It's a bit far, exactly :biggrin: But I am working 6 hours/day during half term, so.
Why's everyone doing like 6 hours of revision a day I've done none it's half term I'm relaxing

Quick Reply

Latest