The Student Room Group

Who was your favourite Egyptian pharaoh and why

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goonhoon
Well since there aren't any signs of monotheism existing before him, I'd say it could be true. He was the first one to change a state religion from polytheism to monotheism as he moved from Veset to Ammarna.

I think he is one of the reasons why Egypt started collapsing though. All the milions of people living in Egypt believed in numerous gods, then it suddenly changed to just one and then, after few years, changed back to polytheism. That must've made a lot of people confused and they certainly started questioning the pharaohs, and, hence, started to form many smaller groups/states.

Egypt, like all ancient (and many modern) societies went through periodic crises of different kinds - I imagine the sudden shift to Monotheism actually developed over a while and the rulers latched onto it as part of some way of dealing with crisis. Religion has often played that role, especially when co-opted by elites.

Still, it's an intriguing puzzle and has to be one of the most interesting things that happened in the ancient world, which makes Akhie and Neffie one of the most fascinating couples of that era.
Weneg-Nebty

crazy name, crazy ruler :ahee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weneg_(pharaoh)
Reply 22
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Egypt, like all ancient (and many modern) societies went through periodic crises of different kinds - I imagine the sudden shift to Monotheism actually developed over a while and the rulers latched onto it as part of some way of dealing with crisis. Religion has often played that role, especially when co-opted by elites.

Still, it's an intriguing puzzle and has to be one of the most interesting things that happened in the ancient world, which makes Akhie and Neffie one of the most fascinating couples of that era.

Given the fact that there were hardly any of his remainings, inscriptions, commemorative texts etc. after the end of his era, he must've been quite disliked by the public. We will never know but I don't think he was a prosperous ruler and that he only caused instability in Egypt.
Hakor... he was famous for using codes on his Papyri & cracking the secret messages of the Nubians
Original post by the bear
Weneg-Nebty

crazy name, crazy ruler :ahee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weneg_(pharaoh)

I like it that Two Ladies were involved in their rituals. :yep:
I like it that Two Ladies were involved in their rituals. :yep:

diddlee diddlee dee

[video="youtube;oPOiaAU_vJg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOiaAU_vJg[/video]
Cleopatra, the last empress of the Egyptian Empire before the Romans annexed it. With her death the ancient Egyptian ended up.
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ
@Salt Queen yas kween

Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
@Salt Queen

Call me Moses cuz I got the magic stick

👀👀
I've always felt like I was Cleopatra in a past life :flutter:
also Wahankh

he sounds a bit rude nomsayin'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intef_II
It's all about Ramesses II, guys.
Original post by Salt Queen
👀👀

I bring the floods to Egypt
I bring the floods to Egypt

Lmao be quiet?!
Lmao be quiet?!

I could be your Noah and you can ride on my vessel.
I could be your Noah and you can ride on my vessel.

Noah was Egyptian? 😄
Noah was Egyptian? 😄

Think of you as the Egyptian Queen and I the foreign Prince
Reply 36
Ikhnaton/Akhenaton. ... According to some (although this may not be true) he also invented Monotheism...

He didn't invent monotheism, he saw what the one true God did to all the other gods in the plagues that caused the Israelites to escape!

- - - -

I'm gonna vote for a lady, Hatshepsut, for reasons given here.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NJA
He didn't invent monotheism, he saw what the one true God did to all the other gods in the plagues that caused the Israelites to escape!

You don't know your OT as well as you could. There are at least three versions of the One God in it and the early 'Israelites' were clearly polytheists, given that other Gods get repeatedly mentioned as possible distractions from the various One Gods.
Reply 38
You don't know your OT as well as you could. There are at least three versions of the One God in it and the early 'Israelites' were clearly polytheists, given that other Gods get repeatedly mentioned as possible distractions from the various One Gods.

Please give account of the "three versions":

(1)

(2)

(3)

Why do you put Israelites in inverted commas?

Why do you suggest I don't know that some Israelites later (or before) followed other gods?
Original post by NJA
Please give account of the "three versions":

(1)

(2)

(3)

Why do you put Israelites in inverted commas?

Why do you suggest I don't know that some Israelites later (or before) followed other gods?

Israel is partly a fabrication - the post-Exile composers of the Torah created a fake history for it. Especially when it comes to David and Solomon, etc.

The Hebrew original mentions El (the old polytheistic leader of the Gods) who becomes Elohim, JHWH (Yahwe - the Moses God, probably a genuine original member of the pantheon but retrospectively modified by the post-Exilic rewriters) and of course the God of Jesus/the NT, who was developed in late Judaic times and isn't the same deity as El/Elohim/JHWH.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending