The Student Room Group

I hate university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Life18
I go to Brunel uni and I really don't like it there, I don't like the course the people or the atmosphere,. I really wanted to apply for Surrey uni but my teacher don't let me because I was predicted BBC, which I think was unfair as those were my AS results and people with DDD were predicted AAB. I really wanted to go to surrey uni, my friend goes there and she loves it. I don't know what to do because I can't retake because I've already retaken the year. Its come to the point where I come home and cry. I really feel like my sixth form and my teachers have ruined my life, and I hate them.
Can someone please help me?

so your teacher predicted you BBC ...what are your actual grades ??
If you did better than predicted, you should’ve applied to better unis via UCAS adjustment
i have a sibling that goes to brunel and he seems to like it... just maje friends and also youre in london! there's plenty of things to do, and plus at least you dont hate your course....
Original post by Life18
The new head of sixth form and I do Biomedical science

dam i want to do biomed when i'm older , i think you should talk to your tutor about it maybe they can provide advice . Also head of 6th form is a pretty important job , so despite being new or not she knew what she was doing
Original post by Qer
so your teacher predicted you BBC ...what are your actual grades ??

ABC
Original post by Ray_Shadows
dam i want to do biomed when i'm older , i think you should talk to your tutor about it maybe they can provide advice . Also head of 6th form is a pretty important job , so despite being new or not she knew what she was doing

She tried re writing my whole personal statement for no reason, btw good luck with your studies and getting into biomed
Original post by Life18
Obviously I filled in my UCAS because I wanted to go to university this year, besides in my sixth form teachers were pushing students to apply for uni, even those who didn't want to go or take a gap year, and Brunel was my highest offer, my other universities had the same entry requirements so obviously I hatd to make it my firm. Also my teachers forced me to apply to universities I don't want to go to and didn't give me a chance and gave everyone else a chance, obviously its to do with my teachers.

You have got to stop blaming teachers. How does blaming them solve anything anyway? They may have offered strong advise but short of pointing a gun at your head, they didn't make you do anything.

So move on. The question, is what are you going to do about your current situation? To me you have two options. You can make the best of things with a good attitude or you can drop out. But I would strongly advise that if you drop out, you need to put in place a plan B e.g. job, alternative course etc etc.

But stop blaming others for where you are in life. Your life is accountable only to you unless you have a gun pointed at your head.
Original post by Life18
She tried re writing my whole personal statement for no reason, btw good luck with your studies and getting into biomed

just go talk to your tutor about it
Original post by Life18
ABC

If you got ABC you got of gone through adjustment.... (Presuming your offer was the same as your predicted)
First off I don't know how the hell you're ucas was hijakced in the manner you're making out to be. Secondly, it's all free will of choice and you have to start taking some responsibility! Blaming everyone else and being all fired up about it gets you no where. Trust me, life is unfair, people cheat, people lie and stab each other in the back to get their own way. It's a cruel world out here and this is a perfect wake up call for you! All the what if's don't matter anymore. Ok. Think of now! Try to make the better of the current situation, if it really does suck at Brunel and you just cannot stand it then make the arrangements to drop out and go to Surrey next year. Work in the meantime and get some experience and money behind you and go back to uni with full motivations and most importantly a way forward!
Original post by angelofessence
First off I don't know how the hell you're ucas was hijakced in the manner you're making out to be. Secondly, it's all free will of choice and you have to start taking some responsibility! Blaming everyone else and being all fired up about it gets you no where. Trust me, life is unfair, people cheat, people lie and stab each other in the back to get their own way. It's a cruel world out here and this is a perfect wake up call for you! All the what if's don't matter anymore. Ok. Think of now! Try to make the better of the current situation, if it really does suck at Brunel and you just cannot stand it then make the arrangements to drop out and go to Surrey next year. Work in the meantime and get some experience and money behind you and go back to uni with full motivations and most importantly a way forward!

Thanks for the advice but i never used the word hijacked so please dont twist the words, also obviously im going to get annoyed becuse i wanted advice instaed people are just defending my teachers
Original post by ByEeek
You have got to stop blaming teachers. How does blaming them solve anything anyway? They may have offered strong advise but short of pointing a gun at your head, they didn't make you do anything.

So move on. The question, is what are you going to do about your current situation? To me you have two options. You can make the best of things with a good attitude or you can drop out. But I would strongly advise that if you drop out, you need to put in place a plan B e.g. job, alternative course etc etc.

But stop blaming others for where you are in life. Your life is accountable only to you unless you have a gun pointed at your head.

They were really unfair how can you comment telling me to take responsibility if you werenteven there??
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
If you got ABC you got of gone through adjustment.... (Presuming your offer was the same as your predicted)
There was no accomadation left
Original post by Life18
They were really unfair how can you comment telling me to take responsibility if you werenteven there??

Dude - sh1t happens in life that is unfair. But how is blaming someone else for the position you are in going to make your life better? What good is it going to achieve? Answer - nothing. So why waste your energy on it?

If it is any consolation - I was sacked from a job by a boss who made a personal decision to get rid of me. It destroyed me. I lost my confidence and it took me a good 6 months to come around. But I never blamed him for my predicament. I picked myself up, enrolled on a course at uni and am now embarking on a new career (ironically as a teacher).

In hindsight he did me a favour. I am now enjoying my new career much more than my old one. And karma has played its part as he was sacked from the same business last month.

In life, there is absolutely no point in looking back and wondering what might have happened or what if. It is pointless. It won't happen so don't fret about it. Look forward. What are you going to do today that will make your life a little better?

I will leave you with these very very wise words!

https://youtu.be/-ZRLe6jYu0s?t=1m7s
Original post by Life18
Thanks for the advice but i never used the word hijacked so please dont twist the words, also obviously im going to get annoyed becuse i wanted advice instaed people are just defending my teachers

No one is defending your teacher here. People are just saying you could of either

1. stood your ground, you were 17/18 not 12
2. took a gap year (plenty of people do this)
3. gone into other accommodation such as private halls, student houses etc (saying that surrey had no accommodation is a load of rubbish, maybe they didnt have any uni owned student halls left, there are other options)

to get into surrey

The issue here is is that you're not accepting that there were perfectly reasonable ways around your teacher being rubbish.
Original post by madmadmax321
No one is defending your teacher here. People are just saying you could of either

1. stood your ground, you were 17/18 not 12
2. took a gap year (plenty of people do this)
3. gone into other accommodation such as private halls, student houses etc (saying that surrey had no accommodation is a load of rubbish, maybe they didnt have any uni owned student halls left, there are other options)

to get into surrey

The issue here is is that you're not accepting that there were perfectly reasonable ways around your teacher being rubbish.

I did stand my ground, i even went to the head teacher who did nothing and tried to complain to ofsted and i cant afford private accomadation in surrey by myself do you even know how expensive the area is and im not hoing to share a house with people i have never met before or hardly know and i already revtook the year i didnt want to take a gap year on top of that
Original post by Life18
I did stand my ground, i even went to the head teacher who did nothing and tried to complain to ofsted and i cant afford private accomadation in surrey by myself do you even know how expensive the area is and im not hoing to share a house with people i have never met before or hardly know and i already revtook the year i didnt want to take a gap year on top of that

You should of stood your ground by applying to surrey anyway.

'I'm not doing a shared house with people I dont know' - people do house shares with people they dont know all the time, hell you do halls with people you dont know. So you CHOSE not to go to surrey then as you didnt want a house share not because there wasnt any accommodation left.

You had already re took the year? So what? You'd of been 20 when you went to uni instead of 19, its not a big deal and then you would of ended up at a uni you think you would of loved instead.

Just accept the reason that you're not at surrey is because you chose not to go in the end (gap year, house share were both possible means of going) and live with the decisions you made. Try and make the best out of what situation you are in now at brunel, feeling sorry for yourself wont help you.

Or try for a uni transfer, you will need get it sorted before the ucas deadline though
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Life18
I go to Brunel uni and I really don't like it there, I don't like the course the people or the atmosphere,. I really wanted to apply for Surrey uni but my teacher don't let me because I was predicted BBC, which I think was unfair as those were my AS results and people with DDD were predicted AAB. I really wanted to go to surrey uni, my friend goes there and she loves it. I don't know what to do because I can't retake because I've already retaken the year. Its come to the point where I come home and cry. I really feel like my sixth form and my teachers have ruined my life, and I hate them.
Can someone please help me?

PM me, I can help with university transfer and can help you with this! I went thru this myself
Original post by madmadmax321
You should of stood your ground by applying to surrey anyway.

'I'm not doing a shared house with people I dont know' - people do house shares with people they dont know all the time, hell you do halls with people you dont know. So you CHOSE not to go to surrey then as you didnt want a house share not because there wasnt any accommodation left.

You had already re took the year? So what? You'd of been 20 when you went to uni instead of 19, its not a big deal and then you would of ended up at a uni you think you would of loved instead.

Just accept the reason that you're not at surrey is because you chose not to go in the end (gap year, house share were both possible means of going) and live with the decisions you made. Try and make the best out of what situation you are in now at brunel, feeling sorry for yourself wont help you.

Or try for a uni transfer, you will need get it sorted before the ucas deadline though

Sharing accomadation and sharing a house is completly different, and i didnt choise not go in the end or i wouldnt have asked for help on here in the first place
Original post by ByEeek

You went there so don’t say my teachers arnt to blame because they are, and my parent arnt letting me drop out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending