The Student Room Group

Study to Success (hopefully)

Poll

How could I improve my gyg blog?

Hi Guys
So basically I'm starting this blog is the hope that it will give me some motivation, because procrastination is probablly one of the only things I'm good at.
I'm currently in year 10, so I'll studying for my GCSEs.
The subjects that I'm taking are:

Spoiler

All the GCSEs that I'm taking will be the new 9-1 graded ones.
Our school has given us so called target grades which are based on the MidYIS tests we did in year 7 and I got target grades of 8s in all my subjects but personally I am hoping to get all 9s.
If anyone knows anything about these target grades from the MidYIS tests please let me know as I'm so confused!
Feel free to follow me on Instagram @minimalist.studies
https://www.instagram.com/minimalist.studies/?hl=en

Effy..
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow! All 9’s is an ambitious but not impossible goal. You will find that people may not be nice or not believe in you; I had people that told me I was aiming too high. To that you just ignore them, revise your butt off and prove them wrong. You’ll end up with a better education than them and you won’t regret a thing. My advise would be that whenever you feel unmotivated or procrastinating just imagine the feeling of results day getting all 9’s and let that make you determined to revise/ learn. Anyway, good luck I hope you found this helpful!
Reply 2
Original post by danwhitlock
Wow! All 9’s is an ambitious but not impossible goal. You will find that people may not be nice or not believe in you; I had people that told me I was aiming too high. To that you just ignore them, revise your butt off and prove them wrong. You’ll end up with a better education than them and you won’t regret a thing. My advise would be that whenever you feel unmotivated or procrastinating just imagine the feeling of results day getting all 9’s and let that make you determined to revise/ learn. Anyway, good luck I hope you found this helpful!

Thank you! Yeah just got to try my best and even if I don't get all 9s they should be better than if I did revise at all for them. So I've got nothing to lose.
Original post by Effy..
This isn't really an update but I forgot to mention my goal previously. I don't want to sound big headed or stupid or anything but I would really like to get all 9s (especially in maths because that's the one thing I can actually do). I like to think that this is achievable as long as I put the effort in by studying.
Let me know what GCSES you'll be taking and any predicted grades. If you've already done them can you let me know how hard or easier it was for you.
Thanks
Effy..

Hey I'm Ellie!! I'd love to get all 9's too. My GCSE's include:

Science

English Lit

English Lang

History

Geography

RS

Business + Economics

French

Maths

Statistics

Reply 4
Original post by streetdude28
Hey I'm Ellie!! I'd love to get all 9's too. My GCSE's include:

Science

English Lit

English Lang

History

Geography

RS

Business + Economics

French

Maths

Statistics

Hi Ellie
I wish you all the best and good luck for your GCSEs. It's probably going to be even harder for you as your taking more subjects than me. Let me know how you doing. Btw I checked out you blog which is amazing.
Effy
Reply 5
Hi guys,
Today I'm just sorting out any relevant note that I made throughout the year. Normally I just make notes before each small test we have in any subject but I use my GCSEs textbooks to help me. I would advise reading through any textbooks you have and going over class work to find the information you need before condensing it and add diagrams to help. You could also trying using colours and flash cards to help. I've just got a picture of the revision I've done this half term. I know it's not a lot and the notes aren't neat but I'll probably redo them at some point because I missed some information out as I ran out of time.
image.jpeg
Please let me know what you think and feel free to add any revision/note taking strategies.
Effy
Ps. Sorry for the weird formatting
Original post by Effy..
Hi Ellie
I wish you all the best and good luck for your GCSEs. It's probably going to be even harder for you as your taking more subjects than me. Let me know how you doing. Btw I checked out you blog which is amazing.
Effy

Oh jeez, thanks about the blog :smile:. Love to keep in touch x

P.S I just love your notes!
hey Ellie! good luck from a fellow y10 xx
Reply 8
Original post by streetdude28
Oh jeez, thanks about the blog :smile:. Love to keep in touch x

P.S I just love your notes!

Aww, thank you. I've had too many people tell my my handwriting is terrible (which it is especially when I rush), so it nice to hear that someone actually likes my notes.
Original post by Effy..
Aww, thank you. I've had too many people tell my my handwriting is terrible (which it is especially when I rush), so it nice to hear that someone actually likes my notes.

Ignore the 'haters' x :biggrin:
Reply 10
Friday 27th October
So seeing as this blog is for motivation and I really don't want to do my homework I've decided to post some motivational quotes.
I'm sorry if this is kinda pointless but they were nice quotes. Once again I'm sorry for the terrible formatting (and probably for wasting your time).
Effy
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Planning your revision
I've just got here a few tips on how to plan your revision which I hope you will find useful (considering I haven't posted anything helpful so far)
Start revising early
Most of you will be studying at least 8 subjects and for each of these there is a lot to learn. So I would advise breaking each subject down into topics and spreading the revision through the year with a few recap session during the weeks leading up to the exams.
Tracking your progress
It's easy to track your progress just take a past paper before you begin you revision and take another one at various points through the year. This allows you to see if your revision strategy is working and any strengths and weaknesses.
Plan strategically
You should revise for subjects with transferable skills first for example English would be useful for essay based subjects and maths would be useful for science and economics. Some subjects may be more content based, for example languages, so dedicate more revision times towards these. If you know that you have some weakness spend time trying to get better instead of doing the things your goods at.
Revision in everyday life
For some subjects they can also become a hobby eg sports, cooking and art. This means you will be able to kinda revisits for them without knowing it. Try and combine revision into your everyday life, if your in the car download some revision videos to watch or try GCSE pod. Go to museums when on holiday try and notice thing in nature, in places of worship. You could even try adding up the shopping in your head. Read, read, read but also notice how it's written.

And lastly always give yourself a break it you need it.
I hope you found this helpful. Let me know if you want to see more if this kind of thing.
Effy
Reply 12
Sunday 29 October
Today I'm just going to be finishing off all the homework I should have done no getting ready for school tomorrow. How you all feeling about school starting?
I also have to go to my mandarin class (which is so boring):frown:
Let me know how it going for you guys.
Good luck with your studies
Effy
Reply 13
Guess what, I actually did some thing productive. I wrote the script for my biology presentation (I also had to write someonelses cause they were to lazy😒) I also did my mandarin homework. EE09AB75-0F99-49A1-8041-B82A8742B53B.jpg.jpeg
E1DED8B3-B2F3-4F50-9CDE-FE3693F5F1D9.jpg.jpeg201F9537-1248-4870-9E93-3066B96F27B7.jpg.jpeg
Now watching happy death day with Chinese subtitles cause that's the only thing I could find online but I guess it count as revision😂
Has anyone seen it what did you think?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Monday 30th October
Only just got back from school and I am absolutely shattered. We had maths and chemistry with the worlds most boring teachers and got a ton of homework. Then I had to stay late for volunteering for my Duke of Edinburgh.
Anyway how was everybody else's day?
I was just wondering is any one was doing the national cipher challenge? If so let me know how your finding it?
Going to have dinner and work though the pile of homework I have:frown:
Effy
I sometimes do the cipher challenge but not this year (I'm just trying to balance schoolwork and extracurricular stuff without something else to do!)
I'm okay mostly - got quite a bit of homework but I'm attempting physics (ray diagrams) now - I've spent over an hour trying to do it! I'll just ask my friends tomorrow :biggrin:
Apart from that I'm fine thanks :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by laurawatt
I sometimes do the cipher challenge but not this year (I'm just trying to balance schoolwork and extracurricular stuff without something else to do!)
I'm okay mostly - got quite a bit of homework but I'm attempting physics (ray diagrams) now - I've spent over an hour trying to do it! I'll just ask my friends tomorrow :biggrin:
Apart from that I'm fine thanks :smile:

In my cipher challenge group, everyone refuses/doesn't know how to do it, so I always end up having to do it.
Yeah same with the homework, first day back and we already got loads plus we have a biology presentation tomorrow and I feel like I would rather die that do it.
Reply 17
I've started writing up my notes on stem cells but I'm feeling to tired so I'll probably finish it tomorrow as well as do more research.
57A1749C-FC34-442B-9E65-A61683A73E36.jpg.jpeg5148E15A-522E-4696-9B4F-71CA25908C3E.jpg.jpeg
Still absolutely bricking it about the presentation I have to do tomorrow, absolutely hate talking in front of others. Also most the people in my group have contributed very little. Anyone got any tip for public speaking? I'm kind of desperate.
Effy
Reply 18
Happy Halloween everyone!
I hope you all have a nice day. What's everyone doing for Halloween?
Recently I've been using the Asana app to organize my life. You can just enter this that need to be done and add a due date. I personally find this very helpful but I don't know if anyone else will. So far I've only add in the homework I've done but I love the simple design.
63247DFC-8AB6-42BA-94CB-667248B69417.jpg.jpeg
Effy
Reply 19
Thursday 2nd November
Sorry for not posting for so long but life's just been so hectic and now I've also got a horrible toothache.
I'm about to start my grade 5 piano (abrsm) and am unsure which pieces I want to do, so if anyone happens to be doing the same exam let me know what you think of the pieces. Also I love hearing from you guys so let me know if you play instruments or have done any grades.
Effy

Quick Reply

Latest