The Student Room Group

What are your views on Abortion ?

Post your opinions on abortion here.
I am just interested to see everyone else's views.

Scroll to see replies

A fertilised egg is not a person, and a week-old embryo that lacks even a rudimentary nervous system is not a person. I don't see any problem with the lives of such creatures being ended. A foetus whose central nervous system is advanced to the point that they can perceive their world, react, emote, and feel pain is definitely a person, and I don't think aborting such a foetus is ethical. I don't know enough about human foetal development to know exactly where I'd draw the line.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
A fertilised egg is not a person, and a week-old embryo that lacks even a rudimentary nervous system is not a person. I don't see any problem with the lives of such creatures being ended. A foetus whose central nervous system is advanced to the point that they can perceive their world, react, emote, and feel pain is definitely a person, and I don't think aborting such a foetus is ethical. I don't know enough about human foetal development to know exactly where I'd draw the line.

Interesting...
My question to you is when does a foetus become human?
And sure you could argue if you can't definitely draw the line at a certain point it would be better to not abort any babies if you could be endangering humans.
(edited 6 years ago)
I support a woman's right to do what she feels is best for herself. Nobody should have the right to dictate to a woman whether or not she should have an abortion - it's her choice.
Original post by Nikey
I support a woman's right to do what she feels is best for herself. Nobody should have the right to dictate to a woman whether or not she should have an abortion - it's her choice.

// I don't see why people care what other people do with their own bodies. I do see the flip side of the argument but a woman having an abortion has nothing to do with anyone but her.
Original post by ChallengeLover
// I don't see why people care what other people do with their own bodies. I do see the flip side of the argument but a woman having an abortion has nothing to do with anyone but her.

Totally agree - my point exactly.
Original post by Nikey
Totally agree - my point exactly.

I just struggle to understand why abortion makes some pro-life people soo militant- thinking of those pro-life people who have attacked and killed people in abortion clinics. Very pro-life of them to kill people...

I hope I haven't started something here
Original post by Questions1729
Interesting...
My question to you is when does a foetus become human?
And sure you could argue if you can't definitely draw the line at a certain point it would be better to not abort any babies if you could be endangering humans.

A foetus is human even before it's a foetus. The egg and sperm cells that fuse to create it are both human cells. 'Human' is not a useful word - I prefer to use 'person' to denote the entities that can think and feel and suffer and to whom we extend human rights. Like I said, I consider a creature to be a person when it has a central nervous system - or some other operating system, if we're looking forward to AIs - that is capable of perceiving its world, thinking, emoting, and suffering.

It's very difficult to draw a line that includes all non-person foetuses and excludes all foetuses who have become people, but I think it's reasonably easy to draw one that probably excludes some non-person foetuses, but still allows abortions. Say, for example, that you made a rule that embryos of younger than three weeks could be aborted. You would not be endangering humans, because an embryo of younger than three weeks has no structure resembling a brain whatsoever. So that's a very safe line that could be drawn - the only question is, can we push it a week or two later, and give the women carrying the embryos that much more time to think and that much more power over their own bodies? The very latest that you could draw such a line is what I'm unsure about.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's completely down to the woman herself. I don't understand why other people are so interested with what an individual does with their own bodies. Laws against abortion are what fuel backstreet abortion clinics which are dangerous and make the whole process of abortion even more traumatic.
Original post by bones-mccoy
It's completely down to the woman herself. I don't understand why other people are so interested with what an individual does with their own bodies. Laws against abortion are what fuel backstreet abortion clinics which are dangerous and make the whole process of abortion even more traumatic.

Hi. Its been 50 years since The Abortion Act in 1967 and since then the number of backstreet abortions have decreased rapidly. From my opinion, I do not think that people are interested in what the woman does with her body, they are interested in what she does to another human life, which is not part of her body. Abortions, not just backstreet ones, are dangerous also therefore maybe we can never in society have a safe abortion since it kills a potential human life.
For a school project I have to answer the question: "Does Christianity limit the safe access to abortions". I would love to hear your opinion on this. Thank you
Reply 10
It is up the the women to decide what she thinks is best for her body whatever that might be. I get really annoyed when people start to complain about Abortions and that people shouldn't get them, they will never be in the mindset that the individual is at that moment and it should be nobody business except for the women to make the choice.
Give me my hat back Jordan
A woman can decide what she wants to do with her body. I personally don't think it's ok but if you are unable to provide and or have been through a traumatic experience such as rape, you should be able to decide what you want to do. I mean there are situations where the parents cant provide and the child has a poor childhood and attachment problems, and end up going down a wrong path.. imagine if - god forbid- they were responsible for killing someone ur close to due to the fact they weren't properly looked after. lol. I know I'm going deep into it but it needs to be understood that bringing a child into this world that would be a burden on you can cause maybe the parent to have a breakdown and may not feel like they've done well as a parent.

bottom line is a woman can do what she likes to do with their bodies
Original post by Questions1729
Post your opinions on abortion here.
I am just interested to see everyone else's views.

Abortion is a sin and also a murder of someone who doesn't have a voice.A person knows that whenever they have unprotected sex they are risking their lives and increase chances of being pregnant. People are very much aware of consequences and choose to be ignorant. Then later on blame GOD and the next person because of they failed to be responsible.
Abortion is wrong , i wouldn't advice a person to do it regardless of their background. The unborn child has a right to live. Who aborted you?
Another thing a child is a blessing from God ,why throw it away?
There are many alternatives one can consider rather than aborting if they don't want the child.
1. Adoption
2.Orphanage
(grabs popcorns) this is gonna be sweet.
umm. have u considered things such as rape.. shouldn't they have a choice? or do you believe that God has a plan for us and that it was meant to be and they should go through living their life being reminded every minute of what happened to them..
Original post by Ingrid98
Abortion is a sin and also a murder of someone who doesn't have a voice.A person knows that whenever they have unprotected sex they are risking their lives and increase chances of being pregnant. People are very much aware of consequences and choose to be ignorant. Then later on blame GOD and the next person because of they failed to be responsible.
Abortion is wrong , i wouldn't advice a person to do it regardless of their background. The unborn child has a right to live. Who aborted you?
There are many alternatives one can consider rather than aborting if they don't want the child.
1. Adoption
2.Orphanage
Original post by Ingrid98
1. Adoption
2.Orphanage

I Second your thoughts.
Original post by anon123a
umm. have u considered things such as rape.. shouldn't they have a choice? or do you believe that God has a plan for us and that it was meant to be and they should go through living their life being reminded every minute of what happened to them..

My brother/Sister even considering 'rape'. Abortion is still not an option. The reason it happened God allowed it to happen and he has a reason why even the plan on how to go about with this matter. Imagine being raped and then you go on to kill someone. Wrong was done to you , why do it to someone else? abortion wont help remove the pain of being raped but will come with its own pain
Is your justification for abortion really just that some (1% and that's including incest) are due to rapes?

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/13/us/rape-and-incest-just-1-of-all-abortions.html
Original post by anon123a
Original post by Anonymous
I Second your thoughts.

But not fervently enough to put your name to them, it seems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending