The Student Room Group

Work experience for Medicine

Apart from hospital placements and GP placements, what else could I do thats not exactly clinical but would still benefit me in my application?
Try care homes, volunteering for charities (inc charity shops e.g. Cancer research), fundraising for charities, even maybe tutoring kids (as it shows good leadership and that you can explain things simply- which you can apply to the medical field).
Original post by Halima.xo
Apart from hospital placements and GP placements, what else could I do thats not exactly clinical but would still benefit me in my application?

You could also just talk to doctors/nurses, and get a feel for a role in a gp or hospital
Reply 3
Original post by N/A IS THE NAME
Try care homes, volunteering for charities (inc charity shops e.g. Cancer research), fundraising for charities, even maybe tutoring kids (as it shows good leadership and that you can explain things simply- which you can apply to the medical field).

Thanks! I’ll definitely consider some of these
Reply 4
Even things like a part time job working with the public (shows communication skills), any team sports (shows you can work in a team), individual sports (shows determination), or anything else that you can spin to talk about the skills you have developed. Volunteering in a hospice/ shadowing a doctor is pretty important, even if only for 1 week, as most medical schools will look for some sort of clinical experience, alongside the other skills you can show in other ways.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IssyCon
Even things like a part time job working with the public (shows communication skills), any team sports (shows you can work in a team), individual sports (shoes determination), or anything else that you can spin to talk about the skills you have developed. Volunteering in a hospice/ shadowing a doctor is pretty important, even if only for 1 week, as most medical schools will look for some sort of clinical experience, alongside the other skills you can show in other ways.

Yh true. Also some medical schools dont require any work experience. I think going to lectures, watching documentaries and reading about current affairs are also just as important- so you can speak about them in interviews.
Reply 6
Original post by N/A IS THE NAME
Yh true. Also some medical schools dont require any work experience. I think going to lectures, watching documentaries and reading about current affairs are also just as important- so you can speak about them in interviews.

I do watch a lot of medical documentaries because I find them really interesting so I guess that’s a start lol
Reply 7
Yeah like that Hospice Care charity shop in Hatfield Road I said I wanted to work in, plus tutoring :smile:
Reply 8
You could also try asking Doggie, I mean I’m sure she’ll be of help 😁
Reply 9
Original post by dxna.s
You could also try asking Doggie, I mean I’m sure she’ll be of help 😁

Go away 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending