The Student Room Group

if there was another general election who would win?

Scroll to see replies

As much as I'd like to see Labour in power and as a remainer, I think May should stick out the brexit negotiations. While I don't think she is doing a good job, the time it would take someone else to come in, get up to speed to do a better job would cripple us further so for me, it's better the devil you know.

If there was to be another snap election I could see the results being the same as the last with maybe one or more seats swinging to labour but the Tories holding on with a coalition still.
Hopefully Labour would win
It would 100% be either a Conservative minority or Labour coalition, more likely the former.
Original post by emilyyytaylorr
Corbyn I very much hope, It's said to be that the main reason he didn't get in was because younger people didn't vote although younger people generally prefer him but we don't vote as we're never taught politics unless you take it at A level

"Older" people aren't taught politics either. It is possible to find stuff out yourself.
Given current polls, it's a strong possibility and perhaps even a probability that Labour will win a small overall majority.

The most hated man in the tabloid Tory newspapers would be Prime Minister. Hopefully one of his first acts in office would be to introduce strict rules against offshored and foreign ownership for major media outlets, as in many other countries, but not here, where oligarchs who live in other lands control much of British public thought.
Original post by Bornblue
A 1% swing to Labour gives them 30 more seats. A 2% swing pretty much gives them a majority. That's less of a swing than Labour got last time.

A 1% swing gives 22 gains.
A 2% swing gives 38 gains, still 26 seats from a majority.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hatter_2
"Older" people aren't taught politics either. It is possible to find stuff out yourself.

Yes true but 'older' people tend to have more knowledge towards politics
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Labour almost definitely.

It's funny watching the tories demise, May looks like an anxious witch at every conference and public appearance.

& Jezza looks like Worzel Gummidge who has just found the key to Aunt Sally's chastity belt.
Original post by Rakas21
Even if we accept your premise that problem won't influence elections for a fair while yet. The UK population ages at about 0.4 years per year which in the context of elections not being static is right now, just a mathematical error. Past 2040 and it would start to present a more significant problem.

Conservative minorities until the end of time it is then.
Original post by Hatter_2
A 1% swing gives 22 gains.
A 2% swing gives 38 gains, still 26 seats from a majority.

Try including Scotland in your working.
Original post by Rakas21
Even if we accept your premise that problem won't influence elections for a fair while yet. The UK population ages at about 0.4 years per year which in the context of elections not being static is right now, just a mathematical error. Past 2040 and it would start to present a more significant problem.

You seem quite complacent about the state the Tories are in.

Because the baby boomers became right wing as they grew older you seem to assume that it is some definite path that the majority of people will follow. 35-44 year olds voted Labour more than they did Tory.
Reply 31
I think we'd have a hung parliament with no coalitions, so a minoirty governemnt… it's the last thing this country needs
Try including Scotland in your working.

Scotland is certainly crucial - will the SNP continue to suffer losses in the next election? This seems likely, particularly as Corbynite Labour is much closer to the political views of a majority of working class voters in the biggest Scottish urban areas.

The other key battleground though is less promising for Labour - the sort of lower-middle-to-upper-working class seats that are found abundantly in the West Midlands and North West. Labour did not make nearly enough inroads in these areas last time. It was striking that they took a number of target seats in the E. Midlands and South, but hardly any in those areas. There is a big job that Labour are going to have to do of trying to persuade those groups that they are more trustworthy than the Tories.
Original post by the bear
& Jezza looks like Worzel Gummidge who has just found the key to Aunt Sally's chastity belt.

He's actually quite chic now, in a sort of boho/Syriza New Radical Man kind of way.

When do you think there might be another election. I know its supposed to be in 2022 but surely May and the conservatives can't hang on that much longer
Original post by Fullofsurprises
He's actually quite chic now, in a sort of boho/Syriza New Radical Man kind of way.

Oh Jeremy Corbyn...
Labour will never win an election under comrade Corbyn
You seem quite complacent about the state the Tories are in.

Because the baby boomers became right wing as they grew older you seem to assume that it is some definite path that the majority of people will follow. 35-44 year olds voted Labour more than they did Tory.

Given that i have stated on numerous occasions that i am concerned about that, i find that a spurious assertion.

Original post by Samtheman301
When do you think there might be another election. I know its supposed to be in 2022 but surely May and the conservatives can't hang on that much longer

The Tory-DUP deal has an effective majority of 12 thanks to Sinn Fein and the speakers/deputies. It can go on for as long as they are willing to pay the DUP. Albeit i think a 2019 election is most likely.
Original post by Rakas21
Given that i have stated on numerous occasions that i am concerned about that, i find that a spurious assertion.

The Tory-DUP deal has an effective majority of 12 thanks to Sinn Fein and the speakers/deputies. It can go on for as long as they are willing to pay the DUP. Albeit i think a 2019 election is most likely.

I find your views peculiar given that you seem to be quite an interventionist Tory but prefer the economic liberals in the party.

I think quite a lot of Tories are trying to comfort themselves by pinning the blame on May but she's not responsible really. Rather it's that many young professionals are seeing their wages stagnate and public services weaken, as the price of housing, even to rent, has destroyed people's dream of owning properties.

The only Tory who seems to get this is Ruth Davidson, while much of your party pines for Rees Mogg.

Quick Reply