The Student Room Group

Elon Musk turns power back on in Puerto Rico

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/25/560045944/tesla-turns-power-back-on-at-childrens-hospital-in-puerto-rico

Tesla has used its solar panels and batteries to restore reliable electricity at San Juan's Hospital del Niño (Children's Hospital), in what company founder Elon Musk calls "the first of many solar+battery Tesla projects going live in Puerto Rico."

The project came about after Puerto Rico was hit by two devastating and powerful hurricanes in September, and Musk reached out about Tesla helping. Musk's company announced its success in getting the hospital's power working again less than three weeks after Puerto Rico Gov.

Ricardo Rossello tweeted on Oct. 6, "Great initial conversation with @elonmusk tonight. Teams are now talking; exploring opportunities."

Tesla's image of the project's solar array, in a parking lot next to the hospital, has been liked more than 84,000 times since it was posted to Instagram Tuesday.

So Elon Musk is stepping up where the President cannot. I do believe Elon is doing this completely for free as well which is fantastic but it also gives him a chance to demonstrate how his technology can bring electricity to those in desperate need.

Electric cars, self landing rockets, solar energy, space travel, hyper loop... Is there anything this man cannot do? :biggrin:
a great use of technology to help unfortunate people.
I really hate Elon Musk hero-worship.
Original post by worldender
I really hate Elon Musk hero-worship.

He is doing some pretty incredible things in the tech sector though. He really seems like he is passionate about green energy and isn't just doing it for the money.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
He is doing some pretty incredible things in the tech sector though. He really seems like he is passionate about green energy and isn't just doing it for the money.

Or he knows the value of good publicity.

Its not like he's living like a pauper is it?
Original post by mojojojo101
Or he knows the value of good publicity.

Its not like he's living like a pauper is it?

If he can get some media attention for doing a good act then why not? It's inevitable when a billionaire helps those in need they will garner some media attention but I doubt he only did it for that attention.
Good for him, but also great PR.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
If he can get some media attention for doing a good act then why not? It's inevitable when a billionaire helps those in need they will garner some media attention but I doubt he only did it for that attention.

That good PR is a huge part of his image and by extension a huge part of the corporate image surrounding the companies he runs and works with.

Part of the package when buying a Tesla is the idea that you are buying an ethical product (lol) because of Musk's philanthropic activities. It follows then that performing charitable acts has a distinct financial benefit to him directly.

Im not saying dont praise him, bu we should take into account what he personally benefits from such actions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending