The Student Room Group

Missing Lectures? Help!

Hey,

I started university a few weeks ago (I am 3 academic years behind, due to doing various things in gap years) and I am absolutely loving my course.

The only problem is, I chose to go to a university which is roughly a 30 mile drive from my house. So there is time, fuel and parking that I have to consider... as 4/5 days a week I am making a 60 mile round trip. I also work 20 hours a week. I have been doing my best to get to every lecture so far but I'm realising it's unrealistic at times to do so. I've only missed one day worth of lectures so far but all of ours are recorded and put online.

I just feel as though I'm doing a disservice to myself as I have worked so hard to get here. I'm not behind at all but I still feel terrible that I probably won't be able to attend quite a few lectures.

Does anyone else miss lectures? Is this an overall detriment to me if I'm not physically there?

Just looking for a bit of guidance, thanks :smile:
Original post by fushrooms
Hey,

I started university a few weeks ago (I am 3 academic years behind, due to doing various things in gap years) and I am absolutely loving my course.

The only problem is, I chose to go to a university which is roughly a 30 mile drive from my house. So there is time, fuel and parking that I have to consider... as 4/5 days a week I am making a 60 mile round trip. I also work 20 hours a week. I have been doing my best to get to every lecture so far but I'm realising it's unrealistic at times to do so. I've only missed one day worth of lectures so far but all of ours are recorded and put online.

I just feel as though I'm doing a disservice to myself as I have worked so hard to get here. I'm not behind at all but I still feel terrible that I probably won't be able to attend quite a few lectures.

Does anyone else miss lectures? Is this an overall detriment to me if I'm not physically there?

Just looking for a bit of guidance, thanks :smile:

I miss quite a few (well a lot more than a few), doesn't really affect me. Just have to catch up in your own time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have missed a few lectures and will be missing some today due to illness. I haven't found it to be detrimental to me in any way as in all honesty I don't learn anything in the lectures. Also most of my lecturers upload the notes online anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
I have missed a few lectures and will be missing some today due to illness. I haven't found it to be detrimental to me in any way as in all honesty I don't learn anything in the lectures. Also most of my lecturers upload the notes online anyway.

Luckily, they upload recordings and slides for all the lectures which helps. I'm the same, I go and I just can't concentrate haha
Reply 4
i do distance learning uni as im in northamptonshire and my uni is in essex, because i have 3 kids and work, i cant attend.
my lectures are put online but im doing well, im about to go into my 3rd year and i usually get merits or distinctions for my work.
it can be done.
lectures are basically the cheat sheets of uni. it gives u the content in which u need to research and expand on
Reply 5
No I've been to every single lecture so far. No point in not going, you're paying for them after all
Reply 6
Original post by Trapz99
No I've been to every single lecture so far. No point in not going, you're paying for them after all

I think if I lived there this would be the case but I'm not in a financial position to do so, unfortunately
During my second and final years i missed a lot of lectures largely because of depression. I also had most of the recorded which was very useful for catching up on what i had missed but i think i definitely missed out by not going. not only was i spending more time catching up and less time doing additional reading and research but also i didnt actually end up doing as much catching up as i said i was going to do. there were also things like the fact that it made it harder to ask questions if i wanted to (and less drive to ask those questions) I would say definitely go to as many lectures as you possibly can and be absolutely honest with yourself about how much you are actually going to catch up.
Reply 8
Original post by fushrooms
I think if I lived there this would be the case but I'm not in a financial position to do so, unfortunately

Can you watch them online? A lot of universities post recordings of their lectures on their moodle page

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending