The Student Room Group

Do Actuarial Science Firms have target universities ?

I am planning to go to Leicester University to study mathematics and Actuarial Science, but I also plan to apply to LSE. I prefer the course at Leicester and the city scene, but I don’t want to be put at a great disadvantage by going there. I aim to achieve A*A*AA. Any advice on whether this will hurt my graduate opportunities?
Reply 1
Original post by Leks
I am planning to go to Leicester University to study mathematics and Actuarial Science, but I also plan to apply to LSE. I prefer the course at Leicester and the city scene, but I don’t want to be put at a great disadvantage by going there. I aim to achieve A*A*AA. Any advice on whether this will hurt my graduate opportunities?

The university you attended is not taken into consideration. Actuarial firms take in great consideration your work experience, skills and grades you've achieved at uni.
Reply 2
Would doing a year in the industry, hence allowing me to have some experience out of university, be worth the extra year spent at university?
Reply 3
Original post by Leks
Would doing a year in the industry, hence allowing me to have some experience out of university, be worth the extra year spent at university?

It is very valuable and will give you a years worth of experience.
Reply 4
Cheers
Reply 5
Original post by kkboyk
It is very valuable and will give you a years worth of experience.

Is there a place for actuaries or for people who aim to become Actuaries?
Reply 6
Original post by Leks
Is there a place for actuaries or for people who aim to become Actuaries?

What do you mean? A forum for Actuaries and such?
Reply 7
Original post by kkboyk
What do you mean? A forum for Actuaries and such?

Yeah. Also do you know any active actuaries on this platform

Quick Reply

Latest