The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think some of you have misunderstood me, I'm not thinking of applying to oxbridge, I was just only thinking of Cambridge because of my UMS in AS and my predictions for A-levels, I will be happy if I get into any medical school.
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
What are entrance exams?

As in bmat and ukcat
Original post by anonymous
what are entrance exams?

exams you must take during the second year of a levels in order to do medicine
oh okay thanks ^
I will advise you to still apply. You have to consider the fact that just because you received 10 A* at GCSE, does not mean that you will automatically get in. Cambridge will admire your A-level grades more, because it shows that you are a hard worker and you are more outreached. There is a guy who had GCSEs grades from B-D, not A/A*s, but he got into Cambridge, because he worked hard. I know people in my school that had got 10 A/A* but they got rejected at Oxbridge. It is how you are perceived at the admission tests and the Interview, show that you are capable, work hard on those admission tests, to get what you want. Cambridge wants talent. If you have the edge of volunteering in an hospital, do that. Add more things to make you seem that you know what you are doing, not just an EPQ. Remember, even if you do get rejected, you can never say that you did not try. Success comes by hard work, if you don't risk the opportunity, how will you know? Please apply, don't doubt the endless possibilities.
I think some of you have misunderstood me, I'm not thinking of applying to oxbridge, I was just only thinking of Cambridge because of my UMS in AS and my predictions for A-levels, I will be happy if I get into any medical school.

Your UMS scores are pretty good. If your GCSE school's average performance is low this can help you out. If you want to apply, then go for it :smile:

And to add one last thing, work experience is important for Medicine. Bit late now mind but if you haven't already gotten some, you've still got a bit of time for other unis.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by KatheO11
I will advise you to still apply. You have to consider the fact that just because you received 10 A* at GCSE, does not mean that you will automatically get in. Cambridge will admire your A-level grades more, because it shows that you are a hard worker and you are more outreached. There is a guy who had GCSEs grades from B-D, not A/A*s, but he got into Cambridge, because he worked hard. I know people in my school that had got 10 A/A* but they got rejected at Oxbridge. It is how you are perceived at the admission tests and the Interview, show that you are capable, work hard on those admission tests, to get what you want. Cambridge wants talent. If you have the edge of volunteering in an hospital, do that. Add more things to make you seem that you know what you are doing, not just an EPQ. Remember, even if you do get rejected, you can never say that you did not try. Success comes by hard work, if you don't risk the opportunity, how will you know? Please apply, don't doubt the endless possibilities.

Even for Medicine?
Original post by RedGiant
Your UMS scores are pretty good. If your GCSE school's average performance is low this can help you out. If you want to apply, then go for it :smile:

Unfortunatly not, i checked
Even for Medicine?

Yes, there are still endless possiblities. The people I mentioned that had 10 A*/As all applied for medicine. Now they are doing pharmacy. Better, to say that you have tried than you never tried at all.
Original post by jakey_99
OP you could still apply but as it's already been stated, I wouldn't be too hopeful of getting an offer.

load of ********. I got 4/4 offers with 0A*s at GCSE, not even all As either.
What I've said is true. Most competitive applicants for Cambridge Medicine have at least 10 A*s at GCSE. It says this on their website. I'm not saying they will have 0 chance, but it is extremely unlikely.

my friend got only 2A*s at GCSE and got into camb for medicine.
people who have no idea about applying to medicine need to stop spouting ******** on here
Original post by manlike99
load of ********. I got 4/4 offers with 0A*s at GCSE, not even all As either.

which univerisities and what GCSE'S did you get if you don't mind me asking?
which univerisities and what GCSE'S did you get if you don't mind me asking?

I'll pm you. Don't want to reveal my identity. * pm me from your actual account
load of ********. my friend got only 2A*s at GCSE and got into camb for medicine.

I said "most competitive applicants". That clearly implies there will be exceptions (e.g. full marks on BMAT, full marks on AS Level), and the contextual data of the school. So what you said is unjustified.
(edited 6 years ago)
I said "most competitive applicants". That clearly implies there will be exceptions (e.g. full marks on BMAT, full marks on AS Level), and the contextual data of the school. So what you said is completely unjustified and meaningless.

he got nowhere near full marks on BMAT. got a mediocre BMAT and just a regular 4As at AS. He just smashed the interview. You do know camb interview most people who apply with a semi decent profile and then the interview can swing it completely.
he got nowhere near full marks on BMAT. got a mediocre BMAT and just a regular 4As at AS. He just smashed the interview. You do know camb interview most people who apply with a semi decent profile and then the interview can swing it completely.

No you're wrong. No aspect of one Cambridge application is isolated in significance. This is why the OP does not have no chance with those GCSEs - just pretty low, simply due to the extremely competitive nature of the course (the most competitive course there is). Even if you get interview scores of 10.0, 10.0 and 10.0 (out of 10), then this simply adds more information to your overall application. Just a good interview alone won't "swing it completely".

You probably have no idea of how your "friend" did in the interview, how his reference was, what his PS was like, and other contextual factors (like average GCSE score, socioeconomic background factors).
(edited 6 years ago)
No you're wrong. No aspect of one Cambridge application is isolated in significance. This is why the OP does not have no chance with those GCSEs - just pretty low, simply due to the extremely competitive nature of the course (the most competitive course there is). Even if you get interview scores of 10.0, 10.0 and 10.0 (out of 10), then this simply adds more information to your overall application. Just a good interview alone won't "swing it completely".

You probably have no idea of how your "friend" did in the interview, how his reference was, what his PS was like, and other contextual factors (like average GCSE score, socioeconomic background factors).

Yes I have no idea what his PS was like, or his reference but I do know he went to a good school and wasn't poor. You're probably not even a medical student, dunno why you're chatting bs, I've been through the whole process
Reply 38
Can I do Medicine with no A*'s in GCSE, I'm currently in my 2nd year of sixth form and I got- (AS level)

AAAA In Maths, Biology, chemistry and EPQ which was related to the NHS.

Do I have a shot :smile:

You certainly have a shot at Cambridge.

Your BMAT is more important, and your A-level final grades will be much more important than GCSEs. Cambridge is VERY relaxed about GCSEs even for Medicine.

Why didn't you apply this year? You've missed the Medicine (and Oxbridge) deadline, so you will be a gap year applicant.

Of course most successful applicants have a string of A*s at GCSE, but for Cambridge and some others, correlation =/= causation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 39
For most unis they want at least AAB at Alevel (which i believe u can acheive) and as long as ur UKCAT has a good score, you should be able to get a place at uni. Good luck for your A2 exams!!

Latest

Trending

Trending