The Student Room Group

I made a really huge mistake that I didn't realize would be harmful at the time.

I participated in a nationwide contest a while ago, and recently me and two of my best friends all won first place in the district together. It was a great feeling. Today we were called up onstage in the assembly to be congratulated, but a little backstory here. Our school has uniforms and they don't allow colored accessories. I was wearing a colored scarf that day, and my P.E. teacher confiscated it from me when I came in. It was nothing serious and both of us knew it. My old class teacher saw her taking it and called me and laughed about it. I joked that as a reward for the prize, maybe I should as her to give it back. She said I should mention that in the assembly.

Just as a harmless joke, I did. I said, "In honor of this moment, can I ask Miss X for my scarf back?"

Everyone laughed. When I got off stage, my old teacher said "good job".

Well, after the assembly, the school principal called me and both of my friends into her office and really told us off, though of course it was all directed at me. She asked why instead of appreciating our teachers we had decided to target them in public, and if this was how we expected to make the school proud. She then said we didn't deserve the awards.

This is how I found out about teacher politics in my school. All of them started gossiping about it and degrading my current homeroom teacher (who is wonderful) about her "disrespectful" kids. I later found out that the teacher who had told me to say that, disliked the P.E. teacher. She'd previously been our homeroom teacher for two years and had put me through quite a lot of humiliation, but she has a hard life and I just thought of it as a result of emotional trauma. But she used me for her own grudges.

I just really hate myself now for creating a huge scandal about this. The principal apparently called the P.E. teacher and insulted her too. I've also managed to ruin my best friends' moments too, and I feel like I've lost all respect in the school. I hate myself so much. I don't know what to do.

Thank you if you read through all of this. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reminiscence-
I participated in a nationwide contest a while ago, and recently me and two of my best friends all won first place in the district together. It was a great feeling. Today we were called up onstage in the assembly to be congratulated, but a little backstory here. Our school has uniforms and they don't allow colored accessories. I was wearing a colored scarf that day, and my P.E. teacher confiscated it from me when I came in. It was nothing serious and both of us knew it. My old class teacher saw her taking it and called me and laughed about it. I joked that as a reward for the prize, maybe I should as her to give it back. She said I should mention that in the assembly.

Just as a harmless joke, I did. I said, "In honor of this moment, can I ask Miss X for my scarf back?"

Well, after the assembly, the school principal called me and both of my friends into her office and really told us off, though of course it was all directed at me. She asked why instead of appreciating our teachers we had decided to target them in public, and if this was how we expected to make the school proud. She then said we didn't deserve the awards.

This is how I found out about teacher politics in my school. All of them started gossiping about it and degrading my current homeroom teacher (who is wonderful) about her "disrespectful" kids. I later found out that the teacher who had told me to say that, disliked the P.E. teacher. She'd previously been our homeroom teacher for two years and had put me through quite a lot of humiliation, but she has a hard life and I just thought of it as a result of emotional trauma. But she used me for her own grudges.

I just really hate myself now for creating a huge scandal about this. The principal apparently called the P.E. teacher and insulted her too. I've also managed to ruin my best friends' moments too, and I feel like I've lost all respect in the school. I hate myself so much. I don't know what to do.

That's an unfortunate story. Really though, what were you thinking on stage before you said it? That's like saying "john is fat" or something to the whole assembly lol.

It'll blow over but maybe write a letter of apology to the head or something. And don't be a rebel next time and just not wear a scarf.
Original post by RedGiant
That's an unfortunate story. Really though, what were you thinking on stage before you said it? That's like saying "john is fat" or something to the whole assembly lol.

It'll blow over but maybe write a letter of apology to the head or something. And don't be a rebel next time and just not wear a scarf.

I know. I wasn't in my mind. I hate myself for it. Thank you for the answer :smile:
your teachers seem to have had a collective sense of humor failure.
God! All of that drama over absolutely nothing. It will blow over and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

It really isn't.
Original post by YaliaV
It really isn't.

It kind of is. It's not exactly the same, but it has the same element of humor to it. And judging by the principle's reaction, it's safe to say he thought it was at least fairly similar.
Original post by the bear
your teachers seem to have had a collective sense of humor failure.

I know it sounds despicable but I'm really hoping that's the case. I didn't mean for it to be rude. I want someone to blame except myself but I'm so impulsive and weird and something like this happened once before two years ago and I still haven't gotten over it, so I'm just mad at me. I don't know how I'm going to live through this. I'm also mad at the teachers for making such a big deal out of it, I mean I know the P.E. teacher wasn't even offended at first but they all started making a fuss about it so I doubt it's the case now. I did apologize to her, sincerely, but she didn't seem very bothered. But that was before this became talk of the town.
Original post by YaliaV
God! All of that drama over absolutely nothing. It will blow over and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

Okay, guys! I don't know if I should believe what you're saying, but you're really making me feel better. I don't even know if I should feel better lol.

I just feel like everyone's staring at me when I walk through school now. And I've always had non-existence self-esteem, which is probably why it's so weird that I'm so impulsive.
I know it sounds despicable but I'm really hoping that's the case. I didn't mean for it to be rude. I want someone to blame except myself but I'm so impulsive and weird and something like this happened once before two years ago and I still haven't gotten over it, so I'm just mad at me. I don't know how I'm going to live through this. I'm also mad at the teachers for making such a big deal out of it, I mean I know the P.E. teacher wasn't even offended at first but they all started making a fuss about it so I doubt it's the case now. I did apologize to her, sincerely, but she didn't seem very bothered. But that was before this became talk of the town.

You have made a apology to the teacher, so there isn't really anything more you can do about it. With time, people will stop talking about it. Just focus on your studies and don't dwell on the situation.
It kind of is. It's not exactly the same, but it has the same element of humor to it. And judging by the principle's reaction, it's safe to say he thought it was at least fairly similar.

It's the same element of humour, but saying 'john is fat' is far worse than what OP has done. Not at all saying that what OP did was a good thing by any means, but linking that with 'john is fat' is a bit of a stretch.
Original post by Dizgurl
It's the same element of humour, but saying 'john is fat' is far worse than what OP has done. Not at all saying that what OP did was a good thing by any means, but linking that with 'john is fat' is a bit of a stretch.

Well go on clever clogs let's hear your 100% accurate comparison.
do your teachers not know what banter is
Some teachers, particularly head teachers, are sensitive beans. :lol: She's totally taken it out of proportion. Maybe talk to the P.E teacher and ask how she felt about it and explain what's happened and how you're feeling. She most likely will be on your side and can speak to the head?

It's not your fault. Blame the teachers who are acting like a bunch of stereotypical teenage girls.
Original post by hannxm
Some teachers, particularly head teachers, are sensitive beans. :lol: She's totally taken it out of proportion. Maybe talk to the P.E teacher and ask how she felt about it and explain what's happened and how you're feeling. She most likely will be on your side and can speak to the head?

That's a really good idea, thank you! The only risk is that the head might turn on her too, as I've heard she's already done, for her getting "too friendly" with the students.
Well go on clever clogs let's hear your 100% accurate comparison.

You have a bit of an attitude don't you?
It doesn't have to be 100% accurate but make it a bit more sensible :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
do your teachers not know what banter is

Maybe, or they don't approve of it :/
That's a really good idea, thank you! The only risk is that the head might turn on her too, as I've heard she's already done, for her getting "too friendly" with the students.

Either way, it would be nice to take comfort knowing that you're not the only one thinking she's taken it too far!
So did you get the scarf back or?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending