The Student Room Group

History & Politics applicants 2018?

Anyone else applying for joint honours Hi/Pol for 2018? What are you predicted and where do you think you'll apply?

I'm predicted A*AA but I think that's a bit optimistic. So I'm applying definitely to Nottingham and Warwick, maybe Sheffield and York, and LSE if I'm feeling ambitious!

Edit: going for Nottingham, Warwick, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Glasgow.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My predicted are A*A*A and looking to apply for Oxford, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and one other for History and Politics
My only worry with H&P is that the acceptance rate, especially at Oxford, is significantly lower at 14% than single honours History which is at 25% so is it worth it applying to single honours history at oxford if there's a greater chance of acceptance.
Reply 2
My predicted grades are AAA but haven't decided wether to go to B'ham or Warwick.Which one should I choose?
Hi, all!
I have achieved A*A*A*A* and will be applying to:
1. Cambridge - HistPol
2. LSE - GovHist
3. UCL - HistPol & Econ
4. Bath - Pol w/ econ (placement)
5. Not sure
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm applying for joint honours economics and politics as well as economics with a minor in politics.
Reply 5
I visited both Birmingham and Warwick and I got a much more positive response from Birmingham! The people were nicer and the campus is amazing. Plus, if you are more of a city person Birmingham is definitely the right choice for you, because Warwick is quite isolated. But I think that Warwick has a higher ranking than B'ham does. I will definitely apply to Birmingham for history and politics.
I've just applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham and Loughborough. Just waiting for an offer now.. has anyone got an offer yet?
Original post by Fox12
My predicted grades are AAA but haven't decided wether to go to B'ham or Warwick.Which one should I choose?

I went to see Warwick and loved the campus. Would recommend.
This was me last year - I applied to...

Oxford - rejected in November
LSE - offer in late March (Government and History)
Warwick - offer in late October
Edinburgh - offer in late March
Nottingham - offer in late October

I’m now studying Government and History at LSE 😃
Original post by examstressisreal
I've just applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham and Loughborough. Just waiting for an offer now.. has anyone got an offer yet?

Hi :-) what course did you apply for at Durham?
Original post by ma77tyLG9
Hi :-) what course did you apply for at Durham?

Combined social sciences (or something to the same effect)
Original post by examstressisreal
Combined social sciences (or something to the same effect)

Me too, hope you get an offer. Good luck!!
I applied to
Oxford History&Politics
Edinburgh History&Politics
LSE International Relations and History
KCL History & IR

I'm a little bit worried that I mainly talked about history and politics in my personal statement. Does anyone know if this will hinder my chances at an offer for IR courses? Should I change my choices and apply for Government/Politics & History at King's & LSE instead?

thanks
Original post by oliviaminor
I applied to
Oxford History&Politics
Edinburgh History&Politics
LSE International Relations and History
KCL History & IR

I'm a little bit worried that I mainly talked about history and politics in my personal statement. Does anyone know if this will hinder my chances at an offer for IR courses? Should I change my choices and apply for Government/Politics & History at King's & LSE instead?

thanks

I'd be concerned about LSE, they are the most personal statement heavy university there is. I think King's will be absolutely fine.
My predicted grades are A*AA and I applied in early October for History and Politics at Nottingham, Birmingham, UEA, Warwick and Southampton. I have already had offers from Birmingham, UEA and Southampton. I was just wondering if Nottingham take a bit longer with History and Politics, because I have quite a few friends who have applied later than me (for different courses) and have already had offers.
Thanks
Original post by JackRHampton
My predicted grades are A*AA and I applied in early October for History and Politics at Nottingham, Birmingham, UEA, Warwick and Southampton. I have already had offers from Birmingham, UEA and Southampton. I was just wondering if Nottingham take a bit longer with History and Politics, because I have quite a few friends who have applied later than me (for different courses) and have already had offers.
Thanks

Hi, I've also applied for history and politics at Warwick and Nottingham and I haven't had an offer from those two yet either. I haven't seen anyone else get an offer so I wouldn't worry about it :-)
Original post by JackRHampton
Thanks

Original post by ma77tyLG9
Hi, I've also applied for history and politics at Warwick and Nottingham and I haven't had an offer from those two yet either. I haven't seen anyone else get an offer so I wouldn't worry about it :-)

Hi Guys, I have also applied for History and Politics at Nottingham. I have already achieved my grades and I haven't heard anything either. The first person to get an offer for this course at Notts last year on TSR was on the 1/11 so it should be any day now! :smile:
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Hi Guys, I have also applied for History and Politics at Nottingham. I have already achieved my grades and I haven't heard anything either. The first person to get an offer for this course at Notts last year on TSR was on the 1/11 so it should be any day now! :smile:

Yes - I’m sure you’ll hear soon. I got my offers from Warwick and Nottingham on the 18th October last year :-)
Original post by LeapingLucy
Yes - I’m sure you’ll hear soon. I got my offers from Warwick and Nottingham on the 18th October last year :-)

nice!
I've applied to Durham (history), Edinburgh, Leeds, Newcastle and Glasgow (history and politics) and I've got offers from the last two. :smile:
Predicted grades for y13 are hopefully A*A*AA or maybe more like A*AAB honestly lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending