The Student Room Group

Disslike current sixth form

So at the start of the year, I started at college, and I found the first few days awful. I told my parents about this, and rather than telling me to wait and see how it went, they gave me the offer of a private school. I told them that I'd consider it, but they decided that they were going to enforce it and push me to this sixth form at private school. They beleve, that since I didn't get any A's at GCSE, that this school is suddenly going to make me super academic like I used to be in year 7.
One of the problems that I have here is that school is from 8 am - 5:30 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and from 8 am - 3:30 pm on Wednesday and Saturday.
Another problem is that all of my friends are going to college or the sixth form of my secondary school. Personally, I'd have liked to have gone to the sixth form of my secondary school.
At the private school, the atmosphere and work ethic is totally different, and you can't even go off site until the end of the day, and uniform is compulsory.
I've tried bringing these issues up with my parents, and also about how I am just downright miserable there. I approached them about halfway through this last half term, and talked to them about moving, and they told me to deal with it and learn how to turn a negative experience into a positive one, and about how no other school will ever provide the support that I need to get 'back on track', after my failed GCSEs (5 & 3 in English, C's in computer science, physics, chemistry and bio, and B in Geo, history, and RE, and a 5 in maths.

I am also currently taking 4 A-levels, which everyone apart from the people at private school are telling me I am mad. I disslike 2 of my A-levels, and all of my teachers apart from one. Most of my teachers dislike me too, I presume because of my different work ethic and how long its taking me to adjust. (I'm taking Physics, D&T, Computer Science and Geography, and dislike the first two.)
Also, I am taking speech and drama exams.
I feel like my life and head are both in quite a mess at the moment, also due to having recently broken up with my girlfreind of two years.
If I try to talk with my parents about any of these issues, they just tell me that I should learn to deal with it, and it'll get better, and I'll get friends at private school eventually. If i tell them that I don't like my teachers, I get told that I'll come across people that I don't like lots in life and should learn to deal with it at a younger age. I tried to talk to them about dropping an A level, and they called me a quitter. If I try to talk to them about disliking private school, they tell me that I keep going in circles with what I say, and to listen to what they say and ill enjoy it in the end.
I don't know how to deal with this at the moment, especially since I have so little free time to see my friends because I spend all my time at school.
Don't really have a clue what to do, I'm trying to keep my chin up, but its becoming especially difficult, especially because i don't really have anyone to talk to anymore after splitting with my girlfriend (but splitting was best for us, especially me)
Original post by 0h_n0
So at the start of the year, I started at college, and I found the first few days awful. I told my parents about this, and rather than telling me to wait and see how it went, they gave me the offer of a private school. I told them that I'd consider it, but they decided that they were going to enforce it and push me to this sixth form at private school. They beleve, that since I didn't get any A's at GCSE, that this school is suddenly going to make me super academic like I used to be in year 7.
One of the problems that I have here is that school is from 8 am - 5:30 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and from 8 am - 3:30 pm on Wednesday and Saturday.
Another problem is that all of my friends are going to college or the sixth form of my secondary school. Personally, I'd have liked to have gone to the sixth form of my secondary school.
At the private school, the atmosphere and work ethic is totally different, and you can't even go off site until the end of the day, and uniform is compulsory.
I've tried bringing these issues up with my parents, and also about how I am just downright miserable there. I approached them about halfway through this last half term, and talked to them about moving, and they told me to deal with it and learn how to turn a negative experience into a positive one, and about how no other school will ever provide the support that I need to get 'back on track', after my failed GCSEs (5 & 3 in English, C's in computer science, physics, chemistry and bio, and B in Geo, history, and RE, and a 5 in maths.

I am also currently taking 4 A-levels, which everyone apart from the people at private school are telling me I am mad. I disslike 2 of my A-levels, and all of my teachers apart from one. Most of my teachers dislike me too, I presume because of my different work ethic and how long its taking me to adjust. (I'm taking Physics, D&T, Computer Science and Geography, and dislike the first two.)
Also, I am taking speech and drama exams.
I feel like my life and head are both in quite a mess at the moment, also due to having recently broken up with my girlfreind of two years.
If I try to talk with my parents about any of these issues, they just tell me that I should learn to deal with it, and it'll get better, and I'll get friends at private school eventually. If i tell them that I don't like my teachers, I get told that I'll come across people that I don't like lots in life and should learn to deal with it at a younger age. I tried to talk to them about dropping an A level, and they called me a quitter. If I try to talk to them about disliking private school, they tell me that I keep going in circles with what I say, and to listen to what they say and ill enjoy it in the end.
I don't know how to deal with this at the moment, especially since I have so little free time to see my friends because I spend all my time at school.
Don't really have a clue what to do, I'm trying to keep my chin up, but its becoming especially difficult, especially because i don't really have anyone to talk to anymore after splitting with my girlfriend (but splitting was best for us, especially me)

Did you choose Physics and D&T knowing that you'd dislike it?
Reply 2
Original post by Fonzworth
Did you choose Physics and D&T knowing that you'd dislike it?

To be honest, I didn't really get a choice in it. I took subjects based off what was recommended to me by the school. I knew I had a passion for geography and enjoyed GCSE physics, especially mechanics. D&t I'd never done before and decided that it was better to try something new than take something I don't enjoy.
Reply 3
I've just had to live with it. I bloody hate my college lol.
Reply 4
When I say I didn't get a choice, I mean the transition from college to this school was rushed, and it was also due to timetabling issues, and parents telling me that they were good subjects for me. I didn't have time to look into them at all
Reply 5
Original post by Texxers
I've just had to live with it. I bloody hate my college lol.

Unlucky, I think I'll have to go down the same route, I think I'd find it much easier to deal with If I wasn't there six days a week, all day
I understand what you mean, however, I think you want to make sure you are doing the course you can for the next 2 years. 4 a-levels aren't easy let alone having 2 which you dislike. I would recommend talking to your teachers and sorting this out and maybe talk your head of sixth form.
Reply 7
Original post by 0h_n0
Unlucky, I think I'll have to go down the same route, I think I'd find it much easier to deal with If I wasn't there six days a week, all day

6 days a week? Are you sure it's not 5 lol?
Reply 8
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
I understand what you mean, however, I think you want to make sure you are doing the course you can for the next 2 years. 4 a-levels aren't easy let alone having 2 which you dislike. I would recommend talking to your teachers and sorting this out and maybe talk your head of sixth form.

Are you sure it won't be too late to change, there is a whole half term of already gone!
Reply 9
Original post by Texxers
6 days a week? Are you sure it's not 5 lol?

100% sure it's six! Saturday school starts in year 9 for this school. While a fair proportion of Saturday is spend doing sport, it still only leaves me with one day a week for both me and my friends
Original post by 0h_n0
Are you sure it won't be too late to change, there is a whole half term of already gone!

I'm sure if you talked about it, they would cooperate. I would suggest you to keep physics because you have done it at GCSE and with practice you will hopefully succeed at it. D&T I don't know about. If I was you, I would drop it and take an EPQ because picking another subject now would mean disaster as there would be a lot of content you missed out on.
Reply 11
I'm sure if you talked about it, they would cooperate. I would suggest you to keep physics because you have done it at GCSE and with practice you will hopefully succeed at it. D&T I don't know about. If I was you, I would drop it and take an EPQ because picking another subject now would mean disaster as there would be a lot of content you missed out on.

Thank you for the Advice.. At this school the recommend only taking an epq if you got A's /A*s at GCSE. Have you done /are you doing one?
Original post by 0h_n0
Thank you for the Advice.. At this school the recommend only taking an epq if you got A's /A*s at GCSE. Have you done /are you doing one?

I haven't done the EPQ no. I hadn't got any space left to do it since I am doing triple science + 2 maths so my timetable is packed.

However, my friends are all doing EPQ and I do help them. From my point of view, I don't think it is that complicated. You just need to decide on a good topic from now and make sure you do it before december next year otherwise you will struggle with revision for exams.
Reply 13
I haven't done the EPQ no. I hadn't got any space left to do it since I am doing triple science + 2 maths so my timetable is packed.

However, my friends are all doing EPQ and I do help them. From my point of view, I don't think it is that complicated. You just need to decide on a good topic from now and make sure you do it before december next year otherwise you will struggle with revision for exams.

Blimey, that sounds packed! I've got parent teacher meetings at the end of November. I'll wait until then to decide what I should drop, but I'll look into starting an epq in the meantime! Thank you so much!
Original post by 0h_n0
Blimey, that sounds packed! I've got parent teacher meetings at the end of November. I'll wait until then to decide what I should drop, but I'll look into starting an epq in the meantime! Thank you so much!

I don't think you should wait for 1 more month. It will be 4 more weeks of you wasting your time doing a subject which will be of no use to you. I would suggest you to get your parents an appointment with your head-of-year and get them to talk.
Reply 15
I don't think you should wait for 1 more month. It will be 4 more weeks of you wasting your time doing a subject which will be of no use to you. I would suggest you to get your parents an appointment with your head-of-year and get them to talk.

I'll talk to them about it, Thanks for the ideas and support!

Quick Reply

Latest