The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Is re-applying to Imperial worthwhile?

Hello!

I applied for entry onto the Computing course for 2017 entry, but messed up my interview. I can confidently say I can do a lot better than how I did and I beat myself up over it for a while after. As a result I ended up with a rejection but I did get accepted into another top uni and I am currently studying there.

My final A-Level results were: A*A*AAB in Maths, Software Systems Dev, Physics, Biology and Further Maths respectively. Further Maths was a self-taught A-Level so that's why I have five.

So far I believe I've been doing well at my uni but I'm just not 100% happy with the syllabus. Also, my particular uni ranks very highly in QS but for Computer Science particularly it drops quite a bit.

Since Imperial don't accept transfers, I'd have to apply to start in first year for 2018. I got quite attached to Imperial last time, which led to my blunder at interview. I loved everything about the uni. Would have turned down Oxbridge for it.

Is it worth re-applying for these reasons or should I stick with my current uni?
Original post by TiernanW
Hello!

I applied for entry onto the Computing course for 2017 entry, but messed up my interview. I can confidently say I can do a lot better than how I did and I beat myself up over it for a while after. As a result I ended up with a rejection but I did get accepted into another top uni and I am currently studying there.

My final A-Level results were: A*A*AAB in Maths, Software Systems Dev, Physics, Biology and Further Maths respectively. Further Maths was a self-taught A-Level so that's why I have five.

So far I believe I've been doing well at my uni but I'm just not 100% happy with the syllabus. Also, my particular uni ranks very highly in QS but for Computer Science particularly it drops quite a bit.

Since Imperial don't accept transfers, I'd have to apply to start in first year for 2018. I got quite attached to Imperial last time, which led to my blunder at interview. I loved everything about the uni. Would have turned down Oxbridge for it.

Is it worth re-applying for these reasons or should I stick with my current uni?

Reapplying doesn’t commit you to leaving your current university. You can try without burning your bridges
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Reapplying doesn’t commit you to leaving your current university. You can try without burning your bridges

Of course. Sorry my question should have read: "if my app was successful would it be worth switching having to repeat first year?"
Of course. Sorry my question should have read: "if my app was successful would it be worth switching having to repeat first year?"

You've got plenty of time to decide this - you can apply and hold an offer until September 2018 and then make the call.

I'd say apply and hope for an offer and if you get an offer accept it.....and then see what your thoughts are at that point - about your current course, your plans for second year, how you felt about further visits/interviews etc etc.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
You've got plenty of time to decide this - you can apply and hold an offer until September 2018 and then make the call.

I'd say apply and hope for an offer and if you get an offer accept it.....and then see what your thoughts are at that point - about your current course, your plans for second year, how you felt about further visits/interviews etc etc.

Do you have any advice on my personal statement? Should I talk about my time at my current university?
Do you have any advice on my personal statement? Should I talk about my time at my current university?

Absolutely - you've got some experience of studying comp sci at university. You can talk about what you've enjoyed and how you've settled in to uni style of learning....as well as what it is that's different about the imperial course that makes you really want to change university (having a good nose through the department webpages to see how they talk about their courses compared to your current course might help with that http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/teaching/ )
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Absolutely - you've got some experience of studying comp sci at university. You can talk about what you've enjoyed and how you've settled in to uni style of learning....as well as what it is that's different about the imperial course that makes you really want to change university (having a good nose through the department webpages to see how they talk about their courses compared to your current course might help with that http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/teaching/ )

Thanks!

And should I mention what university I currently study at?
Thanks!

And should I mention what university I currently study at?

You need to list your current university (and "first year of" your course) in your education section - ideally with the details of the modules you're studying.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
You need to list your current university (and "first year of" your course) in your education section - ideally with the details of the modules you're studying.

I tried to do this but I couldn't find any universities listed. I assumed this meant I don't put my university in there.

So, should I type it in manually to this section?
I tried to do this but I couldn't find any universities listed. I assumed this meant I don't put my university in there.

So, should I type it in manually to this section?

Type it in manually - you MUST declare all places of education. If it isn't listed then that just means it isn't on UCASs system of secondary schools/sixth forms and needs to be added manually.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338 has some screenshots of what it looks like - I would recommend using the "Other" qualification option for your current course.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Type it in manually - you MUST declare all places of education. If it isn't listed then that just means it isn't on UCASs system of secondary schools/sixth forms and needs to be added manually.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338 has some screenshots of what it looks like - I would recommend using the "Other" qualification option for your current course.

The years don't go beyond 2018, so I've selected that for my finish date.

Also, I assume I say yes to, "will you receive qualifications from this centre?" Because I will if my application is unsuccessful.
The years don't go beyond 2018, so I've selected that for my finish date.

Also, I assume I say yes to, "will you receive qualifications from this centre?" Because I will if my application is unsuccessful.

You will receive qualifications - your university modules that you pass in the year are HE credit. That's a qualification and that's what you're adding http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
You will receive qualifications - your university modules that you pass in the year are HE credit. That's a qualification and that's what you're adding http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338

Thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending