The Student Room Group

Traffic light cameras

I drove past a traffic light when it just turned red near digbeth by the O2 institute, does anyone know if there are any traffic light cameras there? Because I have seen little boxes over the lights but am not sure if they work or are actual cameras. I didn't mean to do so I was talking to a friend and by mistake crossed the line as a friend in the back pointed it out to me. Any help will be much appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Was your car already over the line when it changed? Or was it completely red when you went?
Original post by DrawTheLine
Was your car already over the line when it changed? Or was it completely red when you went?
it had just turned red and then I went over I believe
Original post by Anonymous7799
it had just turned red and then I went over I believe

Sounds like if there are cameras (which I'm not sure as I don't know that area) you'll soon get a letter. Only thing you can do really is wait and see, but also pay more attention when driving. That could have been really dangerous.
They still have a few second delay after they turn red, I believe. If you didn't see a flash, then you're probably fine but not all traffic lights have cameras. I drove through a red light that had been red for some time but I didn't get a ticket. You can look online to see where all cameras are in the country. It is mainly on busy and large junctions that there are red light cameras.
Sounds like if there are cameras (which I'm not sure as I don't know that area) you'll soon get a letter. Only thing you can do really is wait and see, but also pay more attention when driving. That could have been really dangerous.
what do they actually look like? I've seen pictures and they look like actually speed camera boxes the 'cameras' I saw looked like little spotlights on top of the traffic lights and yeah I will pay more attention in the future luckily no cars were around.
Original post by hannxm
They still have a few second delay after they turn red, I believe. If you didn't see a flash, then you're probably fine but not all traffic lights have cameras. I drove through a red light that had been red for some time but I didn't get a ticket. You can look online to see where all cameras are in the country. It is mainly on busy and large junctions that there are red light cameras.
I have but I can't find a decent website that shows traffic light camera locations if you can possibly link me one that you've used but yeah it was like 1 second max it was red and I had gone over it
I think you're good! They often change from amber to red as you're driving over the line, it's to be expected and lights vary in timing so drivers can't possibly time it perfectly every time. :smile:

I have but I can't find a decent website that shows traffic light camera locations if you can possibly link me one that you've used but yeah it was like 1 second max it was red and I had gone over it
what do they actually look like? I've seen pictures and they look like actually speed camera boxes the 'cameras' I saw looked like little spotlights on top of the traffic lights and yeah I will pay more attention in the future luckily no cars were around.

I don't know what they look like I'm afraid. I haven't got much driving experience.
Original post by hannxm
I think you're good! They often change from amber to red as you're driving over the line, it's to be expected and lights vary in timing so drivers can't possibly time it perfectly every time. :smile:

I guess you're right there I just can't bare having a fine and 3 points rn
I don't know what they look like I'm afraid. I haven't got much driving experience.
ahh okay no worries
(edited 6 years ago)
I drove past a traffic light when it just turned red near digbeth by the O2 institute, does anyone know if there are any traffic light cameras there? Because I have seen little boxes over the lights but am not sure if they work or are actual cameras. I didn't mean to do so I was talking to a friend and by mistake crossed the line as a friend in the back pointed it out to me. Any help will be much appreciated

Hi there! :wavey:

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:

If you contact British Transport Police they will be able to let you know if the camera saw you.
Reply 13
Original post by Ambitious1999
If you contact British Transport Police they will be able to let you know if the camera saw you.

That's a joke.. right?
Original post by IWMTom
That's a joke.. right?

"Hello officer, I'd like to confess to breaking the law to find out if you caught me on camera doing it or not"
Reply 15
Original post by moonkatt
"Hello officer, I'd like to confess to breaking the law to find out if you caught me on camera doing it or not"

That combined with the fact the BTP only deal with the rail system.
Original post by IWMTom
That combined with the fact the BTP only deal with the rail system.

I thought they deal with all transport hence (BTP) including roads, lorries buses etc, unless I’m wrong?
Original post by moonkatt

Don’t need to confess. Just ask the officer if the camera in question records red light jumping. Say you’re a road safety busy body and think it should.
I thought they deal with all transport hence (BTP) including roads, lorries buses etc, unless I’m wrong?

http://www.btp.police.uk

"We are the national police force for the railways."
Reply 19
Original post by RoyalSheepy
http://www.btp.police.uk

"We are the national police force for the railways."

PRSOM

The RPUs of the individual police forces up and down the country deal with the road transport network.

Quick Reply

Latest