The Student Room Group

Anyone taking Bio/chem alevels? (4 questions)

1)How are you finding them?
2)If you could re-pick your alevel choices would you? Why?
3(And what is the worst and best things about the a-levels biology and chemistry ( from past or current experiences)?
4)Did u find that these alevels have opened up or closed any doors for your future?

Scroll to see replies

Hi I’m on Year 13 and do biology, chemistry and geography. I do the exam board OCR A.

1) I find them both VERY interesting! Biology covers such a wide range of topics that you have to love it! It ranges from biodiversity to the structure of proteins and biochemistry. Chemistry is also very interesting and it goes into a lot more detail than GCSE ever did and there’s A LOT more maths, but the maths isn’t too hard in it.

2) I’d pick the same subjects

3) Best thing for biology is how interesting it is, because you can literally see how it is applied to everyday life which I find so cool.
Worst thing is that there’s an awful lot of content and the textbooks have different depths so I never know how much to learn. They also expect you to know some really random things.
Chemistry is amazing because you learn it in a lot more depth. Bad thing about chemistry is that you do have to do a lot of maths, but that might not be bad for you. (And the maths isn’t too bad anyway)

4) I’d say they’ve definitely opened doors, as for a science degree they normally ask for at least two science A levels. I’m applying for chemistry and a few unis want you to have maths so that might be something to consider, but I’ve still found a lot of unis who don’t need maths.
yr 12
bio chem maths
linear
they're cool but you need to stay on top of them or your grades fall
acc depends on what exactly u want to do
soz about the srsly blunt slang im just on the verge of sleeping - i cant sleep at night lol (insomnia) so i guess im going to be out like a light in the afternoon 'night' OMG THAT WAS BEYOND LAME BUT SEE WHAT I DID THERE

Spoiler

Original post by lcschofield
Hi I’m on Year 13 and do biology, chemistry and geography. I do the exam board OCR A.

1) I find them both VERY interesting! Biology covers such a wide range of topics that you have to love it! It ranges from biodiversity to the structure of proteins and biochemistry. Chemistry is also very interesting and it goes into a lot more detail than GCSE ever did and there’s A LOT more maths, but the maths isn’t too hard in it.

2) I’d pick the same subjects

3) Best thing for biology is how interesting it is, because you can literally see how it is applied to everyday life which I find so cool.
Worst thing is that there’s an awful lot of content and the textbooks have different depths so I never know how much to learn. They also expect you to know some really random things.
Chemistry is amazing because you learn it in a lot more depth. Bad thing about chemistry is that you do have to do a lot of maths, but that might not be bad for you. (And the maths isn’t too bad anyway)

4) I’d say they’ve definitely opened doors, as for a science degree they normally ask for at least two science A levels. I’m applying for chemistry and a few unis want you to have maths so that might be something to consider, but I’ve still found a lot of unis who don’t need maths.

That's cool 😎 I find biology great to due to the depth but I have the same problem since I can either use a revision guide, textbook or the teachers lesson
Original post by cookiemonstaXD
yr 12
bio chem maths
linear
soz about the srsly blunt slang im just on the verge of sleeping - i cant sleep at night lol (insomnia) so i guess im going to be out like a light in the afternoon 'night' OMG THAT WAS BEYOND LAME BUT SEE WHAT I DID THERE

Spoiler

I thought about doing maths with chemistry but I wanted to do something different as some uni courses still accept with just bio/chem luckily
Yeah I’ve got offers for both biochemistry and chemistry and I don’t need maths. However for biochemistry, Oxford does need maths, just in case you were looking there.

If you have any more questions about revision techniques etc I can give you some advice, I got As in them in my AS so hopefully I can help
Original post by RED
I thought about doing maths with chemistry but I wanted to do something different as some uni courses still accept with just bio/chem luckily

:rofl:
You're acc lucky you didn't. It really hard to balance them all because they're all like threads - really hard to separate and if you mess up one little thing you end up with a huge 'mass of mess' :lol: THIS WORDPLAY I SWEAR

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, year 11 here thinking about taking Biology, Chemistry and one other for A-level. I've read through your replies and was wondering how challenging you are finding it. A worry of mine that I will find it near impossible and be way out of my depth. Also, you mentioned the use of maths in chemistry. This is another concern of mine as Maths is my weakest subject, I really want to get a 6 but I'm not sure if I'll be able to achieve this. What did you guys get in your maths? One more thing, what fields are you looking to go into in the future? I am interested in the sciences and can't really see myself doing anything else, however I'm not really sure what occupation I would like to be in in the future. Thanks for reading!
Original post by Ellie1718
Hi, year 11 here thinking about taking Biology, Chemistry and one other for A-level. I've read through your replies and was wondering how challenging you are finding it. A worry of mine that I will find it near impossible and be way out of my depth. Also, you mentioned the use of maths in chemistry. This is another concern of mine as Maths is my weakest subject, I really want to get a 6 but I'm not sure if I'll be able to achieve this. What did you guys get in your maths? One more thing, what fields are you looking to go into in the future? I am interested in the sciences and can't really see myself doing anything else, however I'm not really sure what occupation I would like to be in in the future. Thanks for reading!

Hi, I got an A* in maths GCSE and also took further maths GCSE and got an A, so my maths skills are quite good - although, I don’t take maths A-Level. I find the maths pretty alright in chemistry, it’s pretty much just a lot of equations you have to learn and tbh it’s more the understanding of chemistry that’s important in those equations. However I do know some of my friends struggle with the maths in chemistry. At the end of the day, if you love science (which it sounds like you do!) you’ll work on the maths, but unfortunately I’d say in chemistry about half of the questions are maths. Even though I did well in GCSE, I was always really down about my maths skills and I’ve found it fine.
Just realised I said the word maths far too much in that reply ahahahah
Hi, I got an A* in maths GCSE and also took further maths GCSE and got an A, so my maths skills are quite good - although, I don’t take maths A-Level. I find the maths pretty alright in chemistry, it’s pretty much just a lot of equations you have to learn and tbh it’s more the understanding of chemistry that’s important in those equations. However I do know some of my friends struggle with the maths in chemistry. At the end of the day, if you love science (which it sounds like you do!) you’ll work on the maths, but unfortunately I’d say in chemistry about half of the questions are maths. Even though I did well in GCSE, I was always really down about my maths skills and I’ve found it fine.

Thank your for your reply. I feel quite confident in using equations as that's simply putting in the figures like physics, and yeah I'm trying to improve my Maths at the moment as many of my local Sixth forms ask for a grade 6 to take a science at A level.
yr 12
bio chem maths
linear

Spoiler

Haha A levels are hitting you hard. My sleeping patterns haven't been affected (not yet at least).
Original post by Ellie1718

Maths A level is quite difficult, I got an A* at GCSE and an A in fsmq but I struggled a lot with statistics in maths and ended up with a C in S1, giving me a B grade overall in AS which made me panic a bit because I'm applying for medicine, so I dropped maths :/ biology is probably my favourite subject, there are a few complex processes but if you can memorise well and have good exam technique you should be alright. Maths in chemistry is difficult yes, but it's more learning how to approach calculations and what to do with the data that is the hard part. Solving calculations once you set them up are fine
Basically all science degrees that don't need all 3 bio chemistry and maths/physics, you don't have to do maths a level if you don't want to, and sure you don't have to do chemistry either but i've found its advantageous to have chemistry for the majority of science degrees
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by in_candescence
Maths A level is quite difficult, I got an A* at GCSE and an A in fsmq but I struggled a lot with statistics in maths and ended up with a C in S1, giving me a B grade overall in AS which made me panic a bit because I'm applying for medicine, so I dropped maths :/ biology is probably my favourite subject, there are a few complex processes but if you can memorise well and have good exam technique you should be alright. Maths in chemistry is difficult yes, but it's more learning how to approach calculations and what to do with the data that is the hard part. Solving calculations once you set them up are fine
Basically all science degrees that don't need all 3 bio chemistry and maths/physics, you don't have to do maths a level if you don't want to, and sure you don't have to do chemistry either but i've found its advantageous to have chemistry for the majority of science degrees

Thank you for your reply. I'm not too bad with formulas as it's simply inputting numbers into equations. In maths the main thing I struggle with is the wordy questions that I have no clue what are even asking me! At the moment I probably enjoy Biology more and will be the focus for the future. Chemistry I enjoy and interests me and the thought of doing Biochem sounds like an option.
I'm in year 12

1)How are you finding them?

I hate biology a lot

2)If you could re-pick your alevel choices would you? Why?

I would drop maths. I picked Bio Chem French History and dropped French and History for Maths which I'm kind of regretting now.

3(And what is the worst and best things about the a-levels biology and chemistry ( from past or current experiences)?

-Hard asf
+Need it for medicine
+Very facilitating

4)Did u find that these alevels have opened up or closed any doors for your future?

Well I need it for medicine, so yes
:rofl:
You're acc lucky you didn't. It really hard to balance them all because they're all like threads - really hard to separate and if you mess up one little thing you end up with a huge 'mass of mess' :lol: THIS WORDPLAY I SWEAR

Spoiler

Sounds like a sh!t storm 😂😂
Good luck with that honestly mate , I hope all goes well with it but at least Bio and Chem are more interesting than GCSE
Yeah I’ve got offers for both biochemistry and chemistry and I don’t need maths. However for biochemistry, Oxford does need maths, just in case you were looking there.

If you have any more questions about revision techniques etc I can give you some advice, I got As in them in my AS so hopefully I can help

Thanks for the info - I never really aspired for Oxbridge I feel like a lot of university hospitals perform just as well with out the prestigious rights unfortunately
Have u finished Alevels yet ? If not how are u finding yr 13?
Thanks for answering the questions I find them challenging at times but they both are enjoyable and suck at the same time, sorry to hear that ur not enjoying maths , i guess just see how it goes
Original post by RED
Thanks for answering the questions I find them challenging at times but they both are enjoyable and suck at the same time, sorry to hear that ur not enjoying maths , i guess just see how it goes

Yeah I'm going to try my best and hopefully it works out
pm me if any one intreasted in chem and bio resource that got me and a*

Quick Reply

Latest