The Student Room Group

Japanese

Hey guys, Ive been kinda self teaching myself Japanese from google translate, but I dont know if Im writing in Kani, Katakana, or Hiragana. Ive taken a picture of a page in the journal Ive been using and was wandering if you guys can help me figure this out.

Attachment not found
weeb
I can differentiate~ Show me the journal and I'll help you out :smile:
Original post by lcdnoisesystem
weeb

Youre a jerk and thats very unhelpful!
The best way to approach self study (as with most languages) is to get one or two good textbooks to work from.
I’d recommend getting one focused on how to properly write hiragana and katakana symbols (as you really need to get those nailed before kanji) and then a book focused on sentence formation and grammar such as Japanese From Zero.
Good luck with your studies :smile:
Naniiii!!!11
Original post by Alex Fierro
Hey guys, Ive been kinda self teaching myself Japanese from google translate, but I dont know if Im writing in Kani, Katakana, or Hiragana. Ive taken a picture of a page in the journal Ive been using and was wandering if you guys can help me figure this out.

Attachment not found

Google translate? I've been teaching myself japanese as well but i bought some books to help me, they're from the "From Zero!" series, the website is JapaneseFromZero.com you can get some of their beginner books from amazon for cheap and the website does help. Then there's the Japanesepod101 which is essentially a podcast with native speakers that help and finally i use duolingo and take the japanese courses. All are helpful. The most important thing is writing out and memorising the characters. Remember hiragana is the most basic form, katakana is for foreign words, romaji is just so english speakers can understand japanese and kanji is most used in japanese society. Also you're attachment is not found for me so sorry not sorry i can't help you there. I hope you do make use of my suggestions of sites to help you, google translate is just silly.
Original post by pearlygrey
I can differentiate~ Show me the journal and I'll help you out :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=698798
Original post by matwillis
Google translate? I've been teaching myself japanese as well but i bought some books to help me, they're from the "From Zero!" series, the website is JapaneseFromZero.com you can get some of their beginner books from amazon for cheap and the website does help. Then there's the Japanesepod101 which is essentially a podcast with native speakers that help and finally i use duolingo and take the japanese courses. All are helpful. The most important thing is writing out and memorising the characters. Remember hiragana is the most basic form, katakana is for foreign words, romaji is just so english speakers can understand japanese and kanji is most used in japanese society. Also you're attachment is not found for me so sorry not sorry i can't help you there. I hope you do make use of my suggestions of sites to help you, google translate is just silly.

Thanks
Original post by dustycustard
The best way to approach self study (as with most languages) is to get one or two good textbooks to work from.
I’d recommend getting one focused on how to properly write hiragana and katakana symbols (as you really need to get those nailed before kanji) and then a book focused on sentence formation and grammar such as Japanese From Zero.
Good luck with your studies :smile:

Thank you
Original post by Alex Fierro
Thanks

If you want to really say thanks, there is that rep button that could do with a like. Just saying.
Original post by matwillis
If you want to really say thanks, there is that rep button that could do with a like. Just saying.

There. Hope that helps :smile:
I found a site called Duolingo that I find helpful. Thanks for all the suggestions though.
Reply 13
Sorry couldn't see the attachment but...

If you want to study the language as others have mentioned get a good text book on the subject rather than using google translate. Sometimes google translate gives odd translations which sound strange to native Japanese speakers. It might be good enough to hold a basic chat conversation in a chatroom but even then the translation can be quite off at times.

For Japanese text books it comes down to personal peference but have a look at something like - Japanese for Busy People I, Genki I, Minna No Nihongo, Japanese from Zero I, Nihongo dekimasu vol 1...

Since Duolingo and Japanesepod101 have already been mentioned, I would also try and have a look at the 'Easy Japanese' series from NHK.
There's a pdf book and lots of mp3s to download which are all free. (https://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/english/)

Finally, Erin's Challenge might be worth a look as well - (https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sumo73
Sorry couldn't see the attachment but...

If you want to study the language as others have mentioned get a good text book on the subject rather than using google translate. Sometimes google translate gives odd translations which sound strange to native Japanese speakers. It might be good enough to hold a basic chat conversation in a chatroom but even then the translation can be quite off at times.

For Japanese text books it comes down to personal peference but have a look at something like - Japanese for Busy People I, Genki I, Minna No Nihongo, Japanese from Zero I, Nihongo dekimasu vol 1...

Since Duolingo and Japanesepod101 have already been mentioned, I would also try and have a look at the 'Easy Japanese' series from NHK.
There's a pdf book and lots of mp3 to download which are all free. (https://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/english/)

Finally, Erin's Challenge might be worth a look as well - (https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/)

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending