The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manlike99
Yes I have no idea what his PS was like, or his reference but I do know he went to a good school and wasn't poor. You're probably not even a medical student, dunno why you're chatting bs, I've been through the whole process

Cambridge's admission process is very different to other universities - being perhaps the fairest system there is. You clearly don't know what you're talking about based your claim that if you do well on the interview you will "swing it completely". That's not how it works.

The admissions system doesn't magically work as you say it does, just because you think your "friend" defied it.
Original post by RedGiant
Cambridge's admission process is very different to other universities - being perhaps the fairest system there is. You clearly don't know what you're talking about based your claim that if you do well on the interview you will "swing it completely". That's not how it works.

The admissions system doesn't magically work as you say it does, just because you think your "friend" defied it.

But do you think I have a shot at other unis, e.g. imperial, brighton?
Original post by Anonymous
Can I do Medicine with no A*'s in GCSE, I'm currently in my 2nd year of sixth form and I got- (AS level)

AAAA In Maths, Biology, chemistry and EPQ which was related to the NHS.

Do I have a shot :smile:

i think you probably can as long as you and your a levels, what gcses and grades did you get?? :smile:

You're not even in year 13 hahahahaha, actually get into medical school first before giving advice to others
Reply 44

This is all true, except your emphasis on GCSEs. If that's a weak area and they can see an improving academic trajectory (eg AAAA at AS, and A*A*A+ at A-level) then it's clear to them the candidate is strong. A*s at A-level are a better predictor of Tripos success than GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
This is all true, except your emphasis on GCSEs. If that's a weak area and they can see an improving academic trajectory (eg AAAA at AS, and A*A*A+ at A-level) then it's clear to them the candidate is strong. A*s at A-level are a better predictor of Tripos success than GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

exactly hence this notion of ' you need full marks on AS and on BMAT' to make up for a lack of GCSE A*s is bs.
Reply 46
exactly hence this notion of ' you need full marks on AS and on BMAT' to make up for a lack of GCSE A*s is bs.

Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You certainly have a shot at Cambridge.

Your BMAT is more important, and your A-level final grades will be much more important than GCSEs. Cambridge is VERY relaxed about GCSEs even for Medicine.

Why didn't you apply this year? You've missed the Medicine (and Oxbridge) deadline, so you will be a gap year applicant.

Of course most successful applicants have a string of A*s at GCSE, but for Cambridge and some others, correlation =/= causation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be taking a gap year, as I wanted to apply to Cambridge but when I saw that the minumum number of A*'s someone got in for 2017 was 2A*'s I thought there was no chance I would get in with my GCSE'S, I am predicted A*A*A but decided to apply with my actual results as I know my GCSE'S would not be good enough unfortunatly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair that's a valid point. Unfortunately medicine is still extremely competitive though which is probably why the applicant would have not much of a chance. If this were natural sciences or something else I wouldn't be so doubtful.

You're not even in year 13 hahahahaha, actually get into medical school first before giving advice to others

What year I'm in has little relevance here. I've studied the admissions process at Cambridge myself for some time now and have used the evidence to justify my opinions.
(edited 6 years ago)
To be fair that's a valid point. Unfortunately medicine is still extremely competitive though which is probably why the applicant would have not much of a chance. If this were natural sciences or something else I wouldn't be so doubtful.

What year I'm in has little relevance here. I've studied the admissions process at Cambridge myself for some time now and have used the evidence to justify my opinions.

clearly haven't studied it properly as there is very little emphasis on GCSEs when applying for medicine @ Cambridge
load of ********. I got 4/4 offers with 0A*s at GCSE, not even all As either.

So you're at Cambridge now are you? If not then I suggest you shut ur mouth m8, you've already been wrong before
Original post by jakey_99
So you're at Cambridge now are you? If not then I suggest you shut ur mouth m8, you've already been wrong before

When did I say Cambridge?
Original post by clouddbubbles
i think you probably can as long as you and your a levels, what gcses and grades did you get?? :smile:

4a's 4b's 1c :frown:
Don't listen to what people say about the emphasis of GCSES. You have made incredible progress from GCSES to AS Level- a lot of people find the change difficult so many people under perform in their AS Level exams. Unis will see your progress and this will be a certain factor, as long as you continue to perform outstandingly and set optimistic goals. I believe you have a shot at the top unis for medicine as long as you show your ability in the UKCAT/BMAT. However, if you didn't get at least 10/11 A-C ish at GCSES then some unis might be put off even if you've made excellent progress.
Reply 54
I will be taking a gap year, as I wanted to apply to Cambridge but when I saw that the minumum number of A*'s someone got in for 2017 was 2A*'s I thought there was no chance I would get in with my GCSE'S, I am predicted A*A*A but decided to apply with my actual results as I know my GCSE'S would not be good enough unfortunatly :smile:

See my comment about A* at A-level. If you do well in your A-levels you should apply...
Original post by RevisionGuide
Don't listen to what people say about the emphasis of GCSES. You have made incredible progress from GCSES to AS Level- a lot of people find the change difficult so many people under perform in their AS Level exams. Unis will see your progress and this will be a certain factor, as long as you continue to perform outstandingly and set optimistic goals. I believe you have a shot at the top unis for medicine as long as you show your ability in the UKCAT/BMAT. However, if you didn't get at least 10/11 A-C ish at GCSES then some unis might be put off even if you've made excellent progress.

So the amount of GCSE'S taken matter?
4a's 4b's 1c :frown:

it’s not awful!!! at the end of the day, your a levels are going to be more important than your gcses when you are applying for university, and as long as you got a’s in the relevant subjects i don’t see how it can stop you - yes, medicine is competitive and they will certainly favour those with higher grades, but you could argue that your improvement from gcse to a-level is an example of your hard work and perseverance :smile:
For most subjects there that's true, but medicine has a ridiculously large amount of hugely competitive applicants. We're talking about the majority of applicants having more than 10 A*s at GCSE. They have to draw the line somewhere, which is why I'm afraid you would have almost no chance at Cambridge with those GCSEs. Unless you had like 100% raw marks in all 4 AS Levels, but even then you would have a very slim chance. Sorry.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. most applicants have 7 to 8 a stars. do you seriously think you wouldnt get in because you got an a instead of an a star in gcse ict or business studies? Universities just want to see a generally large number of As as gcse.
See my comment about A* at A-level. If you do well in your A-levels you should apply...

Thanks, I'll definetly think about it, I looked on the cambridge undergraduate website for Medicine and it filled in some gaps I was unsure about, I wish I could ask Cambridge themselve but their thread is now closed.
clearly haven't studied it properly as there is very little emphasis on GCSEs when applying for medicine @ Cambridge

Not true. If anything there is more emphasis on GCSEs when applying for Medicine.

You seem to be ignoring the fundamental fact that medicine is (arguably) the most competitive course there is, nevertheless at Cambridge. There are literally thousands of applicants every year, with mostly all top grades (including and especially GCSEs). When there is that much competition, there is no choice but to choose only the best applicants - of which there are undeniably no shortage of. Poor GCSEs alone, and only average other elements of an application, will not get you an offer.

You're foolish if you think you will be likely to get an offer with no A*s at GCSE for medicine. "very little emphasis on GCSEs" implies that they do not use them at all as a performance indicator, which is incorrect.

Also, why do you think the minimum number of A*s last year was 5? Not 0, 5.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest