The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am prietty sure around 20% is fine and the uni wont really be bothered as it i such a low %
I had over 50% similarity once and I got away with it so dw as long (as you've referenced everything you should be fine.)
Original post by gabriellakhan
I had over 50% similarity once and I got away with it so dw as long (as you've referenced everything you should be fine.)

How did you get away with 50%?! That’s a lot
Reply 4
If it's 20% plagiarised then you're in trouble. If it's 20% similarity level and the similarity is the bibliography, titles, names etc then it's probably fine. You need to look at what the 20% is.
Reply 5

ohhhh really isnt that really high
Original post by harry7788
Is this massive amount of work that has apparently plagiarised and would i be penalised for this or not as i have been told that if a certain amount of work is below a certain % the uni would let it go or is this just BS

That 22% has been copied from another source. It depends, if there is an entire paragraph that you did copy and paste then that is plagiarism. But, if it's a few words here and there and you did not actually copy and paste then you're okay.
Reply 7
Original post by sahjahn
If it's 20% plagiarised then you're in trouble. If it's 20% similarity level and the similarity is the bibliography, titles, names etc then it's probably fine. You need to look at what the 20% is.

it is 20% plagiarised
Original post by cherryred90s
How did you get away with 50%?! That’s a lot

Original post by harry7788
ohhhh really isnt that really high
Doesn't matter if it's 80/ 90% similarity as long as you've referenced lol. You just won't get an amazing mark because you've hardly got your own words in there.
You've only plagiarised if you've actually tried to pass off some other bloke's work as your own. If you haven't done that, then 20% will be fine. If you got like >51% then that means only <49% of the essay is actually your words. You'd possibly be in a pickle then.
Doesn't matter if it's 80/ 90% similarity as long as you've referenced lol. You just won't get an amazing mark because you've hardly got your own words in there.

Wow
My lecturers hate it if any work goes above 25%,
It means that 22% of the content in your report matches that of other reports on their database. Usually you end up with 5-20% because you just happen to phrase something the same as someone else (or even you) did, or because of references.

22% is in the range of ok, if it was much higher then they would probably start thinking it's a bit odd and check into it. 50% of the time that means you'll get called into a meeting automatically and it will be because you've quoted articles correctly, in which case they'll quickly send you on your way. 30% of the time you'll have quoted incorrectly and they'll give you a slap on the wrist, then the rest of the time you've actually plagiarised and you'll get a much harsher punishment.
Depends on your uni, but my uni's policy was to use it as guidance. They looked out more for large blocks of text that were directly lifted from sources than a raw percentage. That said, I rarely got over 10% unless bibliographies were included in the total. Not sure how people end up with 30% or more without literally copy and pasting text.
Reply 13
I don't see how this plagiarism database/system can actually work

with thousands of students handing in different essays each year, there is going to come a time just purely by chance that essays start looking a lot like previous ones from like 20 years ago or something.

you might have a similar writing style/way of saying things and by chance written something very similar to someone else.......
Original post by ANM775

with thousands of students handing in different essays each year, there is going to come a time just purely by chance that essays start looking a lot like previous ones from like 20 years ago or something.

you might have a similar writing style/way of saying things and by chance written something very similar to someone else.......

Exactly, this is what I'm worried about. I have my first 2 essays due in January and I'm nervous about accidentally writing the same sentence as someone else. There's only so many ways you can write about the same topic without it ending up being similar. I don't want my work to be thrown out because they think I've copied it, when in reality I've written it myself, but it's just a similar style to someone from 10 years ago.
Reply 15
Original post by Retired_Messiah
You've only plagiarised if you've actually tried to pass off some other bloke's work as your own. If you haven't done that, then 20% will be fine. If you got like >51% then that means only <49% of the essay is actually your words. You'd possibly be in a pickle then.

i havent tryed to pass off anyones work as mine but saying that there are high chances of me and someone else having very similair work as the essay im
doing the work on is such a small topic
Reply 16
Original post by Helloworld_95
It means that 22% of the content in your report matches that of other reports on their database. Usually you end up with 5-20% because you just happen to phrase something the same as someone else (or even you) did, or because of references.

22% is in the range of ok, if it was much higher then they would probably start thinking it's a bit odd and check into it. 50% of the time that means you'll get called into a meeting automatically and it will be because you've quoted articles correctly, in which case they'll quickly send you on your way. 30% of the time you'll have quoted incorrectly and they'll give you a slap on the wrist, then the rest of the time you've actually plagiarised and you'll get a much harsher punishment.

Original post by TeaAndLifting
Depends on your uni, but my uni's policy was to use it as guidance. They looked out more for large blocks of text that were directly lifted from sources than a raw percentage. That said, I rarely got over 10% unless bibliographies were included in the total. Not sure how people end up with 30% or more without literally copy and pasting text.

my
lecturer seemed fairly pissed off with it being at 22% and she said it could be that i was referencing incorrectly
which would mean having a meeting as that would be "plagiarism" according to my
lecturer

She said even 20% would
suggest ive been copying and pasting but not sure if she is just over exaggerating as it is only just above 20%
Reply 17
Original post by ANM775

my lecturer seemed fairly pissed off when i told her about it and she seemed prietty clear that i must of copyed and pasted my
work even at just above 20% which i clearly havent
Reply 18
It means that your submission has aspects which are 20% similar to previous submissions (turnitin I'm guessing)

Although every University has its own policy, I doubt 20% would be enough to flag your work up as plagiarised.
Reply 19
Original post by Acidy
It means that your submission has aspects which are 20% similar to previous submissions (turnitin I'm guessing)

Although every University has its own policy, I doubt 20% would be enough to flag your work up as plagiarised.

yeah my uni does use that
i told to a lecturer and ahe seemed concerned and slighly pissed off about it saying it shouldnt be anywhere near 20%

Latest