The Student Room Group

A level biology help

I'm really struggling with biology right now. Despite learning the content and practising the questions I still end up with a Bs in my tests.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get an A/A* in a level biology?
Reply 1
Original post by sahra30013
I'm really struggling with biology right now. Despite learning the content and practising the questions I still end up with a Bs in my tests.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get an A/A* in a level biology?

I'm guessing you're first year? So I'm mainly going to direct my reply towards that :smile: I'm currently predicted an A* and I'm in second year so hopefully I can help!
Definitely knowing the content inside out is very important, but now see if you can find lots of synoptic and application questions as those are definitely the higher level questions. What exam board are you studying? I'm OCR, and I know the maths content has gone up a lot in our new spec so that's worth practicing quite a lot too.

Generally, going over your past papers that you've completed and seeing exactly where you're losing marks and directing your revision specifically towards these areas is helpful. Ask your teachers if they have any extra, stretch and challenge questions you can complete as well as where they think you can improve generally is helpful and informing them that you are aiming for high grades.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know :smile:
What other A levels are you studying?
Reply 2
Apart from working hard to remember all of the content and practicing the questions there's not a great deal more you can do.

However, learning all the stuff paying close attention to detail can pay off - the difference between a B and an A can be a few little words missed out. Mark schemes for Biology past papers are really helpful because a lot of content in biology requires remembering stages of processes. If you use the mark schemes and memorise the stages succinctly as they're set out in the MS this should help. One line equating to one mark missed out on every 3+ mark question for example soon adds up and can cause the grade drop.

In short: make sure you're happy with the basics and the majority of the content, then use mark schemes to identify phrases and words the exam board likes and gives marks for.
Reply 3
Original post by luberry
I'm guessing you're first year? So I'm mainly going to direct my reply towards that :smile: I'm currently predicted an A* and I'm in second year so hopefully I can help!
Definitely knowing the content inside out is very important, but now see if you can find lots of synoptic and application questions as those are definitely the higher level questions. What exam board are you studying? I'm OCR, and I know the maths content has gone up a lot in our new spec so that's worth practicing quite a lot too.

Generally, going over your past papers that you've completed and seeing exactly where you're losing marks and directing your revision specifically towards these areas is helpful. Ask your teachers if they have any extra, stretch and challenge questions you can complete as well as where they think you can improve generally is helpful and informing them that you are aiming for high grades.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know :smile:
What other A levels are you studying?

Thank you very much for your reply. Actually, I'm a second year. I guess I should have made that clear. My exam board is AQA so I'll try to do more application questions from the past papers. AQA has also increased the maths content but I generally do not struggle with the maths content.

I'm also studying chemistry and maths. What about you?

Again, thank you very much. I'll start practising questions as soon as posibble.

Original post by jsg9
Apart from working hard to remember all of the content and practicing the questions there's not a great deal more you can do.

However, learning all the stuff paying close attention to detail can pay off - the difference between a B and an A can be a few little words missed out. Mark schemes for Biology past papers are really helpful because a lot of content in biology requires remembering stages of processes. If you use the mark schemes and memorise the stages succinctly as they're set out in the MS this should help. One line equating to one mark missed out on every 3+ mark question for example soon adds up and can cause the grade drop.

In short: make sure you're happy with the basics and the majority of the content, then use mark schemes to identify phrases and words the exam board likes and gives marks for.

Of course mark schemes! Thank you very much for your advice! I'll definitely try doing that.
Reply 4
Original post by sahra30013
Thank you very much for your reply. Actually, I'm a second year. I guess I should have made that clear. My exam board is AQA so I'll try to do more application questions from the past papers. AQA has also increased the maths content but I generally do not struggle with the maths content.

I'm also studying chemistry and maths. What about you?

Again, thank you very much. I'll start practising questions as soon as posibble.

Of course mark schemes! Thank you very much for your advice! I'll definitely try doing that.

Ahh okay, sorry! I'm studying chemistry and ancient history, and I took maths to AS :smile: if you do maths then you shouldn't struggle too much, I wasn't sure so thought it was worth mentioning. Good luck!!
Reply 5
Original post by luberry
Ahh okay, sorry! I'm studying chemistry and ancient history, and I took maths to AS :smile: if you do maths then you shouldn't struggle too much, I wasn't sure so thought it was worth mentioning. Good luck!!

No it's okay! Good luck to you too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest