The Student Room Group

Keeping Calm and Cavying on at uni

Been wanting to do this for a while, not the fresher's blog as such but just have another little blog thing going as i find it helpful to mark down things in stages so i know where i'm at. I liked my little accidental A level one and I've tried diaries and word logs on my computer but it always feels a bit hollow talking to yourself so. Didn't know where to put this tbh, could have put it in GYG but tbh (this will probably sound terrible) my 'grades' (since we dont have grades in first year, or marks actually) don't really need growing (academic stuff has always been the one thing im kind of constant at and do well at even though my MH is terrible so im not sure how that works), obviously i can always improve but the main thing holding me back from the whole 'uni experience' is mental stuff so that is what i am trying to work on (probably spent the same amount of time in MH appointments since i have been here as everyone else has spent in pubs and bars). So this probably could have been in Mental Health but i figure i clog up that forum enough as it is anyway :hide:

I am due to start therapy soon (say soon but am on a waiting list so how soon soon actually is is anyone's guess) and i am also on antidepressants for depression and apparently because it will help my anxiety as well. These haven't been nice but i'm not going to talk about that at length right now. This is one of the main reason's for doing this as i don't want free pizza (@CheeseIsVeg :emo:) but i would like to get into a somewhat slightly more positive frame of mind before therapy starts so i can get the most out of it. @The_Lonely_Goatherd's blog is something which i have always found very inspirational so taking the rough format from that:

23/10/18

What I'm grateful for today
Grateful that so far this illness hasn't turned into a chest infection *touch wood* haven't got a temperature yet so :crossedf:

A random act of kindness I've done
Told someone inrl how proud and happy for them i was (because i am)

A random act of kindness someone has done for me
my pans went 'missing' so my housemate called a housemeeting to try and get them back (a 'panhunt' :mmm:). My pans have now been located (albeit in another uni accommodation) so hopefully they shall be returned to me shortly. @Deyesy and @ParadoxSocks have also been very nice to me today

Things I did well
um not much, took a bath for the first time in 3 days at 4am this morning if that counts

Something I could improve on
sleep, not sleeping well at all

What I've achieved today
done some more of my uni work for the first module

What I've done to look after my mental health
taken my pills even though i didnt want to?

Something I have to look forward to
need to think about that one more

That's it really, this won't interest probably 99% of the tsr population but tagged some people who might be interested

Spoiler

will probably forget i have made this tomorrow since the only reason im awake is that i feel very ill and most things i do at 2am i forget i have done the next day. Was going to do this at some point and figured that not being able to breathe through your mucus was as good a time as any :sick:

EDIT: this is out of date now. Diagnosis of depression was changed into a personality disorder (is a specific one but dont want it said public for all to see) by my psychiatrist. The 'therapy' in my OP turned out to be classes about 'stress' run in groups by IAPT and everyone in my care agreed this was inadequate. Am now on the waitlist for personality disorder tailored therapy but am not sure when/if i will get this as waitlists are a year long.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CoolCavy
x

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG :gah:

*clicks 'watch' before even reading the blog* :biggrin:

Well done on your schoolwork! :woo: Sorry to hear you are sick :sad:

Take care of yourself, dearest Cavy :lovehug:
watched :smile: good luckkk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been wanting to do this for a while, not the fresher's blog as such but just have another little blog thing going as i find it helpful to mark down things in stages so i know where i'm at. I liked my little accidental A level one and I've tried diaries and word logs on my computer but it always feels a bit hollow talking to yourself so. Didn't know where to put this tbh, could have put it in GYG but tbh (this will probably sound terrible) my 'grades' (since we dont have grades in first year, or marks actually) don't really need growing (academic stuff has always been the one thing im kind of constant at and do well at even though my MH is terrible so im not sure how that works), obviously i can always improve but the main thing holding me back from the whole 'uni experience' is mental stuff so that is what i am trying to work on (probably spent the same amount of time in MH appointments since i have been here as everyone else has spent in pubs and bars). So this probably could have been in Mental Health but i figure i clog up that forum enough as it is anyway :hide:

I am due to start therapy soon (say soon but am on a waiting list so how soon soon actually is is anyone's guess) and i am also on antidepressants for depression and apparently because it will help my anxiety as well. These haven't been nice but i'm not going to talk about that at length right now. This is one of the main reason's for doing this as i don't want free pizza (@CheeseIsVeg :emo:) but i would like to get into a somewhat slightly more positive frame of mind before therapy starts so i can get the most out of it. @The_Lonely_Goatherd's blog is something which i have always found very inspirational so taking the rough format from that:

23/10/18

Grateful that so far this illness hasn't turned into a chest infection *touch wood* haven't got a temperature yet so :crossedf:

Told someone inrl how proud and happy for them i was (because i am)

my pans went 'missing' so my housemate called a housemeeting to try and get them back (a 'panhunt' :mmm:). My pans have now been located (albeit in another uni accommodation) so hopefully they shall be returned to me shortly. @Deyesy and @ParadoxSocks have also been very nice to me today

Things I did well
um not much, took a bath for the first time in 3 days at 4am this morning if that counts

sleep, not sleeping well at all

What I've achieved today
done some more of my uni work for the first module

taken my pills even though i didnt want to?

need to think about that one more

That's it really, this won't interest probably 99% of the tsr population but tagged some people who might be interested

Spoiler

will probably forget i have made this tomorrow since the only reason im awake is that i feel very ill and most things i do at 2am i forget i have done the next day. Was going to do this at some point and figured that not being able to breathe through your mucus was as good a time as any :sick:

I think this is a good idea :smile:
I’m on antidepressants too actually and I feel like they’re really helping :hugs:
Reply 4
:hugs:

Watching!
I’m looking forward to this :hugs:

Best of luck dearest Cavy. :h:
Reply 6
:hugs:!
In to watch :smile: glad your pans were located :tongue:
Also glad your pans were located! Sorry you're feeling so rough though :frown:

Subscribing :h:
didnt expect to get any replies on this so :hugs:

Original post by Michiyo
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG :gah:

*clicks 'watch' before even reading the blog* :biggrin:

Well done on your schoolwork! :woo: Sorry to hear you are sick :sad:

Take care of yourself, dearest Cavy :lovehug:

Original post by wolfmoon88
watched :smile: good luckkk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by For King Knife
I think this is a good idea :smile:
I’m on antidepressants too actually and I feel like they’re really helping :hugs:

Original post by Pathway

Watching!

Original post by W. A. Mozart
I’m looking forward to this :hugs:

Best of luck dearest Cavy. :h:

Original post by Deyesy
:hugs:!

Original post by Protostar
In to watch :smile: glad your pans were located :tongue:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Also glad your pans were located! Sorry you're feeling so rough though :frown:

Subscribing :h:

Thank you for your support everyone :grouphugs: also this probably wont be everyday forgot to say, should change the format of it a bit probably, and maybe add a work section idk, will lay it out so it is more 'uni-ish' i suppose :beard:
didnt expect to get any replies on this so :hugs:

Thank you for your support everyone :grouphugs: also this probably wont be everyday forgot to say, should change the format of it a bit probably, and maybe add a work section idk, will lay it out so it is more 'uni-ish' i suppose :beard:

Good idea! Hope you're doing OK today.

Good idea!
kv :bootyshake:

:wavey:
x

Hope you get better soon Cavy :hugs:
You won't believe how excited I was when I saw the thread title in the latest section :lol: (and shocked at how I hadn't seen this yet - but it's okay because you didn't make it too long ago :tongue:)

I look forward to seeing what the rest of this blog has to offer :heart:
Btw, I love hwat you did with the subheadings at the bottom of the post :yy:
Original post by Pathway
Good idea! Hope you're doing OK today.

you too pathway :hugs:

Original post by Midnightmemories

Good idea!

Original post by the bear
kv :bootyshake:

:wavey:

bjorn :jiggy:

Original post by Matrix123
Hope you get better soon Cavy :hugs:
You won't believe how excited I was when I saw the thread title in the latest section :lol: (and shocked at how I hadn't seen this yet - but it's okay because you didn't make it too long ago :tongue:)

I look forward to seeing what the rest of this blog has to offer :heart:
Btw, I love hwat you did with the subheadings at the bottom of the post :yy:

awww matrix :blushing: and i cant take credit for that :colondollar: was copied inspired from TLG's blog, might add some more categories on though :work:
awww matrix :blushing: and i cant take credit for that :colondollar: was copied inspired from TLG's blog, might add some more categories on though :work:

Aw haha a bit of copying here and there isn't bad :tongue: I really do like it though, I think it's a nice positive way to end posts :yy:
I look forward to seeing what you come up with :h:

Haha, I copied it from the 30 Days Mindfulness Blog challenge thread :tongue:
25/10/18

grateful that my mucus is less green and clogging up my breathing less

this is always hard to think of because i dont think i ever do anything for anyone, always think im a burden so its hard to think of things. Am planning to do little halloween cards for my housemates and post them under their doors but havent actually done that yet

was yesterday but i got locked out of my own house and my housemates let me in, someone also walked all the way here to return my pans ( i guess it was his fault they went missing in the first place but it was still nice of him to return them).

sleep still and also not getting annoyed with my parent as much, sometimes maybe take stuff out on them that isn't really their fault. It's more difficult on a phone, have been really wanting a face to face conversation with them for ages but yeh

What I've achieved today/Things I did well
Got up even though i felt a bit rough still, went to my tutorial and participated well. Then went all the way over to the shops to buy some food for myself and stuff like bread and put my prescription in. Went to the bank to ask a question (idk what they think of me in that bank lol i always come in looking so windswept and ask stupid questions everyone but me probably already knows the answer to). I adulted go me woo

Went to the disability people to ask about the letter i got, my proper assessment thing should be arranged soon apparently (had a sort of informal one before and have a PSLP because of it and stuff and funding for that but have to just complete this last one). That was stressing me out a lot so im glad that it is being sorted.

nothing, might take that one out really cos for someone who worries so much i live very day to day as it's hard to get through one day so i never really look forward to anything

Haha, I copied it from the 30 Days Mindfulness Blog challenge thread :tongue:

copinception :eek:

also @furryface12 forgot to tag you in the OP so you can have a special mention here :lovehug:
Well done on adulting! Not easy at the best of times :nah:

And all the best people ask "stupid" questions in banks :smug: (Unbiased opinion, obviously :ninja: )

26/10/18

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hard to think of one
i guess that my housemate is great at unblocking the kitchen sink

can't really think of one tbh, terrible human. I guess that i made an effort with people on the course and smiled and talked to them even though i felt depressive and just wanted to be alone but that isn't really 'kindness' so idk

Someone said they wished they could draw like me. Also i did my morph grid wrong (dont ask what that is i cba to explain :hide:) because i thought it was A3 divided by 40 but it was actually 42 and someone helped me redo it

Actually doing my laundry, keep stuffing it in my cupboard and hoping it will go away (i dont like doing my washing not because im lazy but cos it hurts my hands the washing powder). Also not getting so annoyed with things, stuff just stacks up in my head throughout the day and by the end of it im just ready to explode. Again sleep but sleep is just a given for me, i wont keep repeating it because my sleep has been awful for a year and a half and if i could have improved it i would have done so by now.

What I've achieved today/Things I did well
was yesterday but i got really good feedback on my first submission :colondollar: the tutors here are brutally honest so to get no negative feedback and all positive comments was something i was chuffed with :blushing:

filled in the HCthing form with the help of @Airmed and @Deyesy, im classing this as something for my MH as it is so i can afford antidepressants (because tbh if im not eligible the stress of paying for them will just make me come off them) and also because paying for prescriptions is one of the things making me dread my birthday (ik im that sad) so if i can get a HCthing then that would make me be less worried about being 19

i dont know, probably the weekend because i need to sleep (idk how i did school tbh lmao, idk how i did 7+ hours a day just 2 hours of uni is exhausting enough to make me want to go home)

Well done on adulting! Not easy at the best of times :nah:

And all the best people ask "stupid" questions in banks :smug: (Unbiased opinion, obviously :ninja: )

prosm :lovehug:

Latest

Trending

Trending