The Student Room Group

How do maintenance loans work?

If I'm moving away from home to study do they still want to know my household income from my parents and base it off that? Seems a bit illogical, I don't want to be sponging off my parents, and I want to go to London. My parents earn above the limit, so is London out of bounds for me (could try for a job)?

Tyyy
yes it still takes into account your parents household income because they should be supporting you if you earn above the bracket.
Original post by lukauu
If I'm moving away from home to study do they still want to know my household income from my parents and base it off that? Seems a bit illogical, I don't want to be sponging off my parents, and I want to go to London. My parents earn above the limit, so is London out of bounds for me (could try for a job)?

Tyyy

Everyone is entitled to a non-income assessed part. If you go to a uni in London, you get a bit more.

If you don't submit your parents income, you'll just be given the tuition fees and the basic maintenance loan.
Original post by fxlloutboyy
yes it still takes into account your parents household income because they should be supporting you if you earn above the bracket.

I'm not living with them though. You can get up to £8,200 a year if you live away from home and study outside London.

Huh.. Confusing.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Everyone is entitled to a non-income assessed part. If you go to a uni in London, you get a bit more.

If you don't submit your parents income, you'll just be given the tuition fees and the basic maintenance loan.

Sorry I'm stupid, may I ask what you mean by basic maintenance loan?
Original post by lukauu

Tyyy

Your maintenance loan is always based off your family income but you get different amounts depending on if you're living at home, away from home and outside London or away from home and inside London. If you parents earn more you get less.

It's a stupid system that doesn't take into account outgoings, debt and other circumstances and it assumes your parents can support you through uni. This is why a lot of people get part time jobs at university as they have low loans but little support from family.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Your maintenance loan is always based off your family income

Not true. If you have proof you've been self supporting for 3 years, are estranged from your parents or 25 before the start of the academic year, you can apply as independent, which means your parents income isn't counted.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Your maintenance loan is always based off your family income but you get different amounts depending on if you're studying at home, away from home and outside London or away from home and inside London. If you parents earn more you get less.

It's a stupid system that doesn't take into account outgoings, debt and other circumstances and it assumes your parents can support you through uni. This is why a lot of people get part time jobs at university as they have low loans but little support from family.

That is seriously stupid, I think I'll change my choices now, London will most likely be too expensive. My parents can barely afford their own rent thanks to this crap excuse for a government. Thanks a lot for clearing this up though :smile:
Original post by lukauu
I'm not living with them though. You can get up to £8,200 a year if you live away from home and study outside London.

Huh.. Confusing.

just because you don't live with them means they cut responsibility - care doesn't end at 18. if you parents are earning over £60k a year they should be able to afford to help you at University - you do get more for living away than living at home but is still mean tested
just because you don't live with them means they cut responsibility - care doesn't end at 18. if you parents are earning over £60k a year they should be able to afford to help you at University - you do get more for living away than living at home but is still mean tested

My parents both have okay jobs and can barely support themselves. It's a common problem for working class families. And I never take money off them. But cheers for helping :smile: Oh and they earn nowhere near 60k! More around 30k mark.
Original post by lukauu
Sorry I'm stupid, may I ask what you mean by basic maintenance loan?

Everyone who is entitled to student finance, is entitled to a tuition fee loan plus a maintenance loan. Some of the maintenance loan is based on household income.
Original post by lukauu
My parents both have okay jobs and can barely support themselves. It's a common problem for working class families. And I never take money off them. But cheers for helping :smile: Oh and they earn nowhere near 60k! More around 25k mark.

you will receive the full loan under 25k then and slightly less if they earn more
Original post by Tiger Rag
Not true. If you have proof you've been self supporting for 3 years, are estranged from your parents or 25 before the start of the academic year, you can apply as independent, which means your parents income isn't counted.

Oh DAMN, I just turn 25 in November 2017. I think I'm lucky I'm applying now? Hahaha.
you will receive the full loan under 25k then and slightly less if they earn more

I meant 30k-40k haha. Silly me forgot to put my mum's as she's only bank. Government don't take that into account though do they >:frown:
Original post by lukauu
I meant 30k-40k haha. Silly me forgot to put my mum's as she's only bank. Government don't take that into account though do they >:frown:

It goes on last years income. If your parents income has changed by 15%, you can ask for it to be based on this years.
Original post by lukauu

it won't matter if you're 25 anyway it will go on your income only
Parent works at Student Finance and your quote. You said you turn 25 this November so if you're applying for student finance for 2018 then you will be 25 at the time of your course - this means you will be assessed without your parents income
(edited 6 years ago)
Parent works at Student Finance and your quote. You said you turn 25 this November so if you're applying for student finance for 2018 then you will be 25 at the time of your course - this means you will be assessed without your parents income

SORRY DUDE, I completely misread you.

Guess I got lucky then! Haha. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Latest