The Student Room Group

Should I do Medicine?

Is Medicine a worth while degree as I want to go into Medical work but I don't want to be put into loads of debt if I don't need to?
I would say you should only do a Medicine degree if you have a huge passion for it. The amount of work you have to do on the degree needs someone who is determined and absolutely loves it. There are other ways to get into medical work such as biomedicine, biochemistry and Chemistry with medicinal chemistry. But ofc the only way to become a doctor is through a medicine degree, so it just depends what medical work you actually want to do
Reply 2
@lcschofield thanks is there any universities you would recommend for medicine at all??
Newcastle, Keele and Nottingham
Original post by lcschofield
I would say you should only do a Medicine degree if you have a huge passion for it. The amount of work you have to do on the degree needs someone who is determined and absolutely loves it. There are other ways to get into medical work such as biomedicine, biochemistry and Chemistry with medicinal chemistry. But ofc the only way to become a doctor is through a medicine degree, so it just depends what medical work you actually want to do

Yh i would’ve said the exact same thing
Original post by Taylork1611
Is Medicine a worth while degree as I want to go into Medical work but I don't want to be put into loads of debt if I don't need to?

Do you want to be a doctor?

YES = Do medical degree
NO = Don't do medical degree

The way things are setup at the moment, you are going to get into loads of debt whatever degree you do, but as a doctor you just have an extra two years worth.

Have you done work experience? That might help you answer whether or not you want to be a doctor. It will also be a necessity to have any sort of chance of getting an interview.

There are other ways you can be medical without doing medicine. Physios can now prescribe drugs (with appropriate post graduate training) and can also perform injections. An exciting development is the ACCP pathway which I am working towards currently.

http://www.csp.org.uk/frontline/article/first-physio-train-advanced-critical-care-takes-her-new-role

You are on the doctors rota in A&E and are trained with medications and invasive procedures such as cannulation and insertion of lines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending