The Student Room Group

Nikey's GCSE GYG :D

Scroll to see replies

Really enjoyed staying at my mates but from now til Friday it's back to revision :biggrin:

Today I've done Biology Unit 1 (Cell Biology) and 2 (Organisation). Going to do Unit 3 (Infection & Response) later too. Tomorrow I'll do some Chemistry and on Friday I'll do some Physics.

There's NO WIFI where I'm going on holiday :s-smilie:
I'll take my revision books with me and may do a bit if I get bored, as I have all the specs downloaded on my phone and the CGP guides for all my subjects. No TSR for a week though :frown:

My sixth form interview went very well. I've got a place and my courses are set. If I achieve my predicted grades then I've also got an offer for a place on their Excellence Programme so I can do an EPQ and join the Medical Society, so I'm very happy with how it went. Also spoke to the people there without being overly anxious which is kind of a big deal for me, so again I'm happy :h:
Original post by Nikey
Really enjoyed staying at my mates but from now til Friday it's back to revision :biggrin:

Today I've done Biology Unit 1 (Cell Biology) and 2 (Organisation). Going to do Unit 3 (Infection & Response) later too. Tomorrow I'll do some Chemistry and on Friday I'll do some Physics.

There's NO WIFI where I'm going on holiday :s-smilie:
I'll take my revision books with me and may do a bit if I get bored, as I have all the specs downloaded on my phone and the CGP guides for all my subjects. No TSR for a week though :frown:

My sixth form interview went very well. I've got a place and my courses are set. If I achieve my predicted grades then I've also got an offer for a place on their Excellence Programme so I can do an EPQ and join the Medical Society, so I'm very happy with how it went. Also spoke to the people there without being overly anxious which is kind of a big deal for me, so again I'm happy :h:

No wifi?! Well at least you can get down to nature :wink: I'm so happy that your interview went well girl.

P.S your handwriting is neater than mine!
Original post by streetdude28
No wifi?! Well at least you can get down to nature :wink: I'm so happy that your interview went well girl.

P.S your handwriting is neater than mine!

Haha I guess, and thanks :biggrin:
Today I've revised the whole of Chemistry Unit 2 (Bonding, Structure and Properties of Matter) and 3 (Quantitative Chemistry). Also did some practice calculation questions including volume of gases, moles and concentrations.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to do Physics Unit 2 (Electricity) and 3 (Particle Model of Matter).

My mum made me go to the park today and it was cool seeing the outside world for a change :biggrin:

Also, I bought some Jaffa Cakes today and there were ONLY 10 IN THE BOX!!! :s-smilie: Highly disappointing. Idk why they can't keep selling them in packs of 12.

One more thing...

IT'S ONLY 60 SLEEPS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!! :xmasgrin::xmasgrin::xmasgrin:
Original post by Nikey
Today I've revised the whole of Chemistry Unit 2 (Bonding, Structure and Properties of Matter) and 3 (Quantitative Chemistry). Also did some practice calculation questions including volume of gases, moles and concentrations.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to do Physics Unit 2 (Electricity) and 3 (Particle Model of Matter).

My mum made me go to the park today and it was cool seeing the outside world for a change :biggrin:

Also, I bought some Jaffa Cakes today and there were ONLY 10 IN THE BOX!!! :s-smilie: Highly disappointing. Idk why they can't keep selling them in packs of 12.

One more thing...

AHHHHHHH CHRISTMASSSSSS YAYAYYAYAY
(also well done on your interview!):biggrin:
Also I'll just put my mock grades here (I forgot :rolleyes:) to keep track of my progress (they're not definite but they're based on my percentages and I'll edit if they change slightly):

English Language = 6
English Literature = 6
Maths = 9
Biology = 9
Chemistry = 9
Physics = 8
Geography = 7
French = 8
Religious Studies = 9

Pretty happy but you can tell I struggle with English...

Just done some simultaneous equations and functions too :biggrin:
Original post by Nikey

One more thing...

Only ten in a box?!! That's some sort of crime!
You've got me seriously craving jaffa cakes right now:biggrin:
Original post by Nikey
Also I'll just put my mock grades here (I forgot :rolleyes:) to keep track of my progress (they're not definite but they're based on my percentages and I'll edit if they change slightly):

English Language = 6
English Literature = 6
Maths = 9
Biology = 9
Chemistry = 9
Physics = 8
Geography = 7
French = 8
Religious Studies = 9

Pretty happy but you can tell I struggle with English...

Just done some simultaneous equations and functions too :biggrin:

well done on your physics grade!
to be honest, i think i struggle most with english lit/lang and physics too!

physics probably for different reasons - it’s too much maths and i struggle a little with maths but the physics tests aren’t usually the difficult

and english, i agree is a bit abstract!! i was predicted 9’s but now i think only 8’s if i work hard, i really struggle with ideas and what to talk about and how to convey it in an eloquent way but i’m working on it!!!

i’m sure you could bump those 6’s up to 7’s in the next few months!

good luck on your journey to medicine!
check out my gyg if you want... :smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles
well done on your physics grade!
to be honest, i think i struggle most with english lit/lang and physics too!

physics probably for different reasons - it’s too much maths and i struggle a little with maths but the physics tests aren’t usually the difficult

and english, i agree is a bit abstract!! i was predicted 9’s but now i think only 8’s if i work hard, i really struggle with ideas and what to talk about and how to convey it in an eloquent way but i’m working on it!!!

i’m sure you could bump those 6’s up to 7’s in the next few months!

good luck on your journey to medicine!
check out my gyg if you want... :smile:

Thank you!! I hope so, I'd be extremely happy with 7's in English :smile:

Will do :h:
Last post until next Saturday as I'm away. Did Physics Unit 2 (Electricity) and a fair bit of Maths. Would have done more but I went to see my nan and I've been packing too.

Bye TSR, see you in a week :biggrin:
I'm back :biggrin:

I've missed TSR quite a lot. I managed to get a fair bit of revision done during my holiday, and I'll type up a detailed post later as I'm unpacking right now (and eating jaffa cakes).
So, a bit of a longer post now.

During my holiday I managed to revise the following:
- Chemistry Unit 4 (Chemical Changes)
- Chemistry Unit 5 (Energy Changes)
- Biology Unit 4 (Bioenergetics)
- Physics Unit 3 (Particle Model of Matter)
- Physics Unit 4 (Atomic Structure)
- Geography Unit 1C (Physical Landscapes in the UK)

I've also found a new, better revision technique. I'll get the spec, and write the unit heading (e.g. Biology Unit 1: Cell Biology) and subheadings (e.g. Unit 1.1 - Eukaryotic Cells). I'll do this for every unit and keep these as prompt sheets. When I go to revise a topic, I'll get out my prompt sheet and write out everything I can remember for every subheading. I'll then fill in what I forgot and make flashcards on that. If I repeat this a few times I'll be dead confident with the content and can move on to practice questions.
Hey mate,
just read your post and your predicted grades are amazing. also well done for your math mock and physics mock results, great stuff. i also read how you would like to study medicine, same here, my older bro is a doctor and it just seems amazing and i want to study it at the uni of sheffield.
i also saw how you talk about how much you hate english. if you want i'm not bad at english, i got grade 9 in my last mock so any questions regarding english, just reply back and i can help you:smile:
Original post by Anonymous work
Hey mate,
just read your post and your predicted grades are amazing. also well done for your math mock and physics mock results, great stuff. i also read how you would like to study medicine, same here, my older bro is a doctor and it just seems amazing and i want to study it at the uni of sheffield.
i also saw how you talk about how much you hate english. if you want i'm not bad at english, i got grade 9 in my last mock so any questions regarding english, just reply back and i can help you:smile:

Hey, thanks :biggrin:

Uni of Sheffield does look good, I'm considering it along with a couple of others.

Yes please, that would be really appreciated - thanks dude :smile:
Original post by Nikey
Hey, thanks :biggrin:

Uni of Sheffield does look good, I'm considering it along with a couple of others.

Yes please, that would be really appreciated - thanks dude :smile:

hey mate,
great i guess i'll meet you in sheff uni and hang out like medics lol.
so yeah basically if you want help now just kinda tell me like where to start language or literature and then kinda pick a topic like macbeth, jekyll and hyde, an inspector calls, or language paper 1/2
:smile:
Original post by Anonymous work
hey mate,
great i guess i'll meet you in sheff uni and hang out like medics lol.
so yeah basically if you want help now just kinda tell me like where to start language or literature and then kinda pick a topic like macbeth, jekyll and hyde, an inspector calls, or language paper 1/2
:smile:

My weaker one is Language, and then Paper 2 I struggle with most. Thanks :smile:
Today I've started my new revision technique that I posted yesterday. It's called the 'blurt technique' and if anyone wants to find out more about it then go to UnjadedJade's channel on YouTube - that's where I found it and all credit goes to her. I'll link some pictures of my just-started B1 notes and prompt sheet on this post if it lets me :biggrin:

I've made a revision timetable leading me all the way to May, so I know that I'll have gone new over everything a sufficient number of times. Excuse the messy handwriting in the pic attached :colondollar:

20171104_135143-1.jpg
(edited 6 years ago)
Good Luck my fellow jaffa cake lover :smile:
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Good Luck my fellow jaffa cake lover :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Nikey
So, a bit of a longer post now.

During my holiday I managed to revise the following:
- Chemistry Unit 4 (Chemical Changes)
- Chemistry Unit 5 (Energy Changes)
- Biology Unit 4 (Bioenergetics)
- Physics Unit 3 (Particle Model of Matter)
- Physics Unit 4 (Atomic Structure)
- Geography Unit 1C (Physical Landscapes in the UK)

I've also found a new, better revision technique. I'll get the spec, and write the unit heading (e.g. Biology Unit 1: Cell Biology) and subheadings (e.g. Unit 1.1 - Eukaryotic Cells). I'll do this for every unit and keep these as prompt sheets. When I go to revise a topic, I'll get out my prompt sheet and write out everything I can remember for every subheading. I'll then fill in what I forgot and make flashcards on that. If I repeat this a few times I'll be dead confident with the content and can move on to practice questions.

i’ll definitely try out that new revision technique! seems really effective :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending