The Student Room Group

like the concept 2 rowing machine but not the price. advice?

Are there any indoor rowing machines that feel like the Concept 2 but are cheaper?
Available to buy over the internet in the US.

Rambling you can read if you're bored:
I used to be a member of a gym that had rowing machines with water in a tank then a handle attached to that and they were AWFUL to use so I definitely don't want anything similar to that. I wouldn't use it. My current gym has Concept 2 rowing machines and I love them. But by the time I've got home from work, eaten and digested dinner then driven to the gym it's kind of late then I'm too pumped to sleep after so I was thinking of investing in a rowing machine to use at home.

Ideally I'd like to work out in the morning for 30 minutes or so, then another 40 minutes after work. I desperately need to lose weight (I'm BMI "obese" ) but don't live in an area where I can run outside. Also, I hate running. I have a spare room so storing the equipment wouldn't be a problem. I have hypothyroidism and take antipsychotics, both of which cause weight gain but I am determined to lose weight.

I want to know whether there are alternatives which are as good and whether I'd be paying for the name?

If anyone has any better ideas, I'd welcome them! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

don't buy the rower is my better idea-youll get bored doing the same exercise, no doubt about it, youll last a few months at most
you wanna lose body fat?
LOOK NO FURTHER: lift weights at the gym whilst eating less calories than you need :youbetcha:
body recomposition:zomg:- google it :zomg:- the gains will come in fast :yikes:
BONUS FACT: you don't need to wait for your food to digest to lift weights :thrasher:
Original post by angrypoliceman
BONUS FACT: you don't need to wait for your food to digest to lift weights

I eat a pastie while I drive to the gym sometimes :rofl:
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I eat a pastie while I drive to the gym sometimes :rofl:

I eat pasties between sets:banana:
I eat pasties between sets:banana:

Madman :lol: I've snacked on a Rice Krispies Square bar mid-workout once :biggrin:
Reply 5
don't buy the rower is my better idea-youll get bored doing the same exercise, no doubt about it, youll last a few months at most
you wanna lose body fat?
LOOK NO FURTHER: lift weights at the gym whilst eating less calories than you need :youbetcha:
body recomposition:zomg:- google it :zomg:- the gains will come in fast :yikes:
BONUS FACT: you don't need to wait for your food to digest to lift weights :thrasher:

I want to keep my heart healthy too and I thought weight lifting doesn't really do that?

I have a tv and netflix/cable/NHL channel subscriptions in the spare room so don't see myself getting bored doing the same exercise but it is something I have considered. That's partly why I was thinking of a rowing machine rather than other cardio equipment - I just enjoy it a lot more when I do go to the gym. But I guess if I was doing it for a long time every day it might be an issue...

Over the summer I went to the gym a fair amount but didn't lose any weight which has kind of put me off weightlifting. I was doing like 50 minutes of weightlifting and 15 minutes of cardio (as well as watching my diet) and although I noticed strength gains I didn't lose any inches on my waist (38" ) and found my shirts were tighter on my upper arms. I do actually really enjoy lifting weights, I like seeing the numbers go up and pushing myself like that but I also am aware that I definitely need to shed some pounds. :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
I want to keep my heart healthy too and I thought weight lifting doesn't really do that?

I have a tv and netflix/cable/NHL channel subscriptions in the spare room so don't see myself getting bored doing the same exercise but it is something I have considered. That's partly why I was thinking of a rowing machine rather than other cardio equipment - I just enjoy it a lot more when I do go to the gym. But I guess if I was doing it for a long time every day it might be an issue...

Over the summer I went to the gym a fair amount but didn't lose any weight which has kind of put me off weightlifting. I was doing like 50 minutes of weightlifting and 15 minutes of cardio (as well as watching my diet) and although I noticed strength gains I didn't lose any inches on my waist (38" ) and found my shirts were tighter on my upper arms. I do actually really enjoy lifting weights, I like seeing the numbers go up and pushing myself like that but I also am aware that I definitely need to shed some pounds. :frown:

the heart is a muscle so anything which causes it to beat more trains it, weightlifting will improve ur heart not hinder
honestly the weight should fall off you if youre obese-do what I said with the body recomp-if you don't notice any gains then something is wrong with your diet; atleast try it before you buy the rower
judge your progress by the visible gains, not a number on a scale
(edited 6 years ago)
Are there any indoor rowing machines that feel like the Concept 2 but are cheaper?
Available to buy over the internet in the US.

Rambling you can read if you're bored:
I used to be a member of a gym that had rowing machines with water in a tank then a handle attached to that and they were AWFUL to use so I definitely don't want anything similar to that. I wouldn't use it. My current gym has Concept 2 rowing machines and I love them. But by the time I've got home from work, eaten and digested dinner then driven to the gym it's kind of late then I'm too pumped to sleep after so I was thinking of investing in a rowing machine to use at home.

Ideally I'd like to work out in the morning for 30 minutes or so, then another 40 minutes after work. I desperately need to lose weight (I'm BMI "obese" ) but don't live in an area where I can run outside. Also, I hate running. I have a spare room so storing the equipment wouldn't be a problem. I have hypothyroidism and take antipsychotics, both of which cause weight gain but I am determined to lose weight.

I want to know whether there are alternatives which are as good and whether I'd be paying for the name?

If anyone has any better ideas, I'd welcome them! :smile:

Keep your eye out for second hand ones on gum tree and similar sites. Other than that, shelling out or keeping up a gym membership is the ideal. Eating after you go to the gym is another viable option
Reply 8
Original post by Angry cucumber
Keep your eye out for second hand ones on gum tree and similar sites. Other than that, shelling out or keeping up a gym membership is the ideal. Eating after you go to the gym is another viable option

Do you know if the concept 2 is significantly better than alternatives? I've been a member of different gyms over the years and all but one have had them so I've never (apart from the one I mentioned) got the opportunity to try the competition. I don't want to buy a cheaper rowing machine and not use it because it's a chore to use but likewise I don't want to pay for a brandname.
Do you know if the concept 2 is significantly better than alternatives? I've been a member of different gyms over the years and all but one have had them so I've never (apart from the one I mentioned) got the opportunity to try the competition. I don't want to buy a cheaper rowing machine and not use it because it's a chore to use but likewise I don't want to pay for a brandname.

Its the ones used by my uni rowing team, if that means anything. I don't know enough about rowing to give you any further advice, I apologise
Reply 10
I think going straight to the gym is the easier solution. When I go straight from work I'll have a snack just before I leave work, gym then dinner when I get in. I have four meals a day so it's just swapping the order or my dinner and tea. But if you need space for calories, have a slightly smaller lunch and dinner.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Its the ones used by my uni rowing team, if that means anything. I don't know enough about rowing to give you any further advice, I apologise

No need to apologize. :smile: It's the ones my uni rowing team used too.

Original post by BKS
I think going straight to the gym is the easier solution. When I go straight from work I'll have a snack just before I leave work, gym then dinner when I get in. I have four meals a day so it's just swapping the order or my dinner and tea. But if you need space for calories, have a slightly smaller lunch and dinner.

The problem is I have to take medication at a certain time and I have to take it with a large meal so that limits when I can eat dinner. :sigh:

I measured my fasting blood glucose level yesterday and it was pre-diabetes level so I'm edging a lot more towards getting the Concept 2. I also did a fair bit of research on the internet and it seems like it is a quality machine and the alternatives don't really stack up. I can get it for $900 new which is pretty expensive, if I didn't live in the middle of nowhere a used one would probably be available. Not 100% decided yet as it is a fair amount of money.. :unsure:

My wife has weights which go to 55lbs each so I plan on using those too once I've started to notice a bit of weight coming off. What would be the best exercises would you say @angrypoliceman ?
(edited 6 years ago)
No need to apologize. :smile: It's the ones my uni rowing team used too.

The problem is I have to take medication at a certain time and I have to take it with a large meal so that limits when I can eat dinner. :sigh:

I measured my fasting blood glucose level yesterday and it was pre-diabetes level so I'm edging a lot more towards getting the Concept 2. I also did a fair bit of research on the internet and it seems like it is a quality machine and the alternatives don't really stack up. I can get it for $900 new which is pretty expensive, if I didn't live in the middle of nowhere a used one would probably be available. Not 100% decided yet as it is a fair amount of money.. :unsure:

My wife has weights which go to 55lbs each so I plan on using those too once I've started to notice a bit of weight coming off. What would be the best exercises would you say @angrypoliceman ?

uhh im not sure; 55lbs would be baby weight for a guy like you no? - u could work ur arms and shoulders out pretty well with that weight I guess
(edited 6 years ago)
uhh im not sure; 55lbs would be baby weight for a guy like you no? - u could work ur arms and shoulders out pretty well with that weight but nothing else really

I'm pretty weak: tried goblet squats with them and struggled even with nowhere near 55lbs. :tongue:
Concept2 is basically the de facto standard for rowing machines, anything else isn't really worth it in my opinion. Stay a member at the gym. 3x week weights, 3x week 7500m erg (i.e. on the rowing machine). Alternatively if there is one nearby you can look into joining a rowing club. These almost always have ergs you can use, and some even have weights. This being on top of the opportunity to actually row for real, which I can assure you is much more entertaining than erging!
Original post by EwanWest
Concept2 is basically the de facto standard for rowing machines, anything else isn't really worth it in my opinion. Stay a member at the gym. 3x week weights, 3x week 7500m erg (i.e. on the rowing machine). Alternatively if there is one nearby you can look into joining a rowing club. These almost always have ergs you can use, and some even have weights. This being on top of the opportunity to actually row for real, which I can assure you is much more entertaining than erging!

Have you tried the alternatives? :smile:

I would like to stay a member at the gym I'm at, it would be the cheaper option but for reasons given in this thread it's not really working out. The rowing club would be a great idea if it was weekends but I googled it and there's only a yacht club in my town and that sounds a little more classy than me. :biggrin:

I would like to stay a member at the gym I'm at, it would be the cheaper option but for reasons given in this thread it's not really working out. :biggrin:

I think you should atleast try the advice I gave first before shelling out 900 bucks on a machine:unsure:-unless ur a rich ****er then sure
I think you should atleast try the advice I gave first before shelling out 900 bucks on a machine:unsure:-unless ur a rich ****er then sure

I tried weightlifting over the summer and didn't lose even an inch on my waist and found my shirts actually got tighter (maybe I was working out my arms too much? I don't know :frown: ) which although I enjoyed the strength gains and enjoyed the actual process of working out I want to fit in smaller clothes. I gained a lot of weight very quickly so I only have a few clothes that I've bought that fit me and would like to return to my previous size. I'm not a rich ****er either but $900 to try and avoid diabetes seems like a good deal. :dontknow:
(edited 6 years ago)

I would like to stay a member at the gym I'm at, it would be the cheaper option but for reasons given in this thread it's not really working out. The rowing club would be a great idea if it was weekends but I googled it and there's only a yacht club in my town and that sounds a little more classy than me. :biggrin:

I've tried a few water ones, and they're just not as good both in terms of workout intensity & the analytic data they produce. Having a nearby rowing club does tend to depend on your proximity to a river which appears to be an issue here. You could try some erg based HIIT training in the morning before work if that fits around your medication? 2x4x500m would be a good start I imagine
I tried weightlifting over the summer and didn't lose even an inch on my waist and found my shirts actually got tighter (maybe I was working out my arms too much? I don't know :frown: ) which although I enjoyed the strength gains and enjoyed the actual process of working out I want to fit in smaller clothes. I gained a lot of weight very quickly so I only have a few clothes that I've bought that fit me and would like to return to my previous size. I'm not a rich ****er either but $900 to try and avoid diabetes seems like a good deal. :dontknow:

maybe your washer shrunk the shirts:colondollar:
clearly u weren't eating at a deficit if u didn't lose an inch off ur waist;which is what im tryna recommend
u need to teach me how to gain if ur no longer fitting in shirts over a summer-that's a gift as far as im concerned
but since the rower is the only way to try and avoid diabetes, $900 doesn't sound too bad

Quick Reply

Latest