The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SK???

You hit their UKCAT treshhold so that means ur grades won’t be looked at holistically as long as u meet the minimum entry requirements then with that UKCAT score u will get an interview
Original post by want2bstudent99
You hit their UKCAT treshhold so that means ur grades won’t be looked at holistically as long as u meet the minimum entry requirements then with that UKCAT score u will get an interview

But I rmb reading on their website they require 5A/A* but mayb check this out I may be wrong
Reply 322
What would I have needed to get for them to look at me in an amazing away ?
Reply 323
Original post by SK???
What would I have needed to get for them to look at me in an amazing away ?

I’m asking incase I don’t get in and want to reapply next year with an amazing UKAT
Original post by SK???
I’m asking incase I don’t get in and want to reapply next year with an amazing UKAT

If you have a UKCAT in the top 1/3 threshold then they merely just check if u meet the min entry requirements (stated on their website) once u hit this entry requirement and u have a UKCAT in the top 1/3 u automatically get an interview. However if u get a lower UKCAT not reaching the top 1/3 then the uni looks at every single grade, UKCAT, NAI form and gives u an interview based on this (this is called the holistic way) - hence if ur UKCAT is below the top 1/3 then ur academics and NAI form needs to be as amaiznf as they can be
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Both but I'd put it as medical experience :wink:

Thanks! What about St John Ambulance? I usually talk to patients, take their history and sometimes treat minor injuries, so I'm guessing medical? But it's not really in a medical setting, it's just helping out at public events and stuff.
Original post by khookie
Thanks! What about St John Ambulance? I usually talk to patients, take their history and sometimes treat minor injuries, so I'm guessing medical? But it's not really in a medical setting, it's just helping out at public events and stuff.

Np :smile: That's also medical
Reply 327
Original post by want2bstudent99
If you have a UKCAT in the top 1/3 threshold then they merely just check if u meet the min entry requirements (stated on their website) once u hit this entry requirement and u have a UKCAT in the top 1/3 u automatically get an interview. However if u get a lower UKCAT not reaching the top 1/3 then the uni looks at every single grade, UKCAT, NAI form and gives u an interview based on this (this is called the holistic way) - hence if ur UKCAT is below the top 1/3 then ur academics and NAI form needs to be as amaiznf as they can be

Okay thanks !
Original post by SK???

You have a fairly strong UKCAT score and are in top third of candidates this year. Unfortunately I think that you will be rejected pre-interview as you do not have five GCSEs at A*/A. You may want to read this page http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2018/01428/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/#course-profile

If you re-apply next year then I would advise:
1. Check the entry requirements carefully. The GCSE requirements are relaxed if you apply with achieved A Level results, but consult their admissions team to make sure your grades satisfy their requirements.
2. Practice the UKCAT to ensure that you get another strong score, which will improve your chance of getting an interview.
3. Look at what Manchester will examine at interview and try to develop yourself in those areas. More volunteering and work experience will develop your insight and you will be able to draw on this at interview. Look at yourself and try to develop any weak areas so that you can perform as well as possible if you receive an offer for interview.
Reply 329
Original post by Scruffy Jack
You have a fairly strong UKCAT score and are in top third of candidates this year. Unfortunately I think that you will be rejected pre-interview as you do not have five GCSEs at A*/A. You may want to read this page http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2018/01428/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/#course-profile

If you re-apply next year then I would advise:
1. Check the entry requirements carefully. The GCSE requirements are relaxed if you apply with achieved A Level results, but consult their admissions team to make sure your grades satisfy their requirements.
2. Practice the UKCAT to ensure that you get another strong score, which will improve your chance of getting an interview.
3. Look at what Manchester will examine at interview and try to develop yourself in those areas. More volunteering and work experience will develop your insight and you will be able to draw on this at interview. Look at yourself and try to develop any weak areas so that you can perform as well as possible if you receive an offer for interview.

How much volunteering and how many hours would you say to do for work experience / volunteering
Original post by SK???
How much volunteering and how many hours would you say to do for work experience / volunteering

There's no definite answer. Most universities state that it is not so much what you have seen but what you have learnt from it, so reflection from your experience is important.

Work experience and volunteering will teach you different things so it is worth trying to get both. Work experience will give you a great insight into the role of the professional that you observe and whether you find that speciality attractive and the challenges it brings. Volunteering will allow you to 'do' more stuff, whether it be talking with people as a befriender or developing relevant knowledge as a first aider.

I would say that it is worth trying to do both work experience and volunteering and try to see as much of the profession as possible so that you understand the career that you will go into after graduating.
Reply 331
Most work experience opportunities are short like one day to one week is that fine ??
Reply 332
For my volunteering work I’m doing it at a care home and I’m helping making games for the elderly and helping during feeding time
Original post by SK???
Most work experience opportunities are short like one day to one week is that fine ??

Take whatever you can get. Work experience will usually be up to a week. Hospitals and GP practices will keep experience opportunities short so that they can offer them to as many different people as possible.
Hey guys, just need a bit of help with NAI. With the teamwork section are they looking for a specific example of challenge or how you face challenges in general. I work at Waitrose in a very busy store, would working in a multi-disciplinary team during a busy shift suffice? Any help would be greatly received! Also what hobbies/interests did you include? :smile:
Original post by jackbrown3098
Hey guys, just need a bit of help with NAI. With the teamwork section are they looking for a specific example of challenge or how you face challenges in general. I work at Waitrose in a very busy store, would working in a multi-disciplinary team during a busy shift suffice? Any help would be greatly received! Also what hobbies/interests did you include? :smile:

I guess it all depends on what you're doing and how you can show team work from it. I have previously worked in a supermarket. I wouldn't have included my time on a checkout as I would have struggled to show much meaningful teamwork from that as it was mostly me operating a till. I could have said I was part of a team of people on the checkouts, but that would have been a pretty weak example because there was not a huge amount of interaction amongst us, short of deconflicting break times. Another role at the supermarket may have been more appropriate, e.g. a team of 3 people working to stack the shelves and assist customers on a particular department if this requires close working with others.

What you write will probably be followed up at interview so it's worth finding something that you would be comfortable answering a couple of follow up questions on if someone started to dig a little.
I started working as a healthcare assistant at the hospital recently and I'm wondering whether I should put it in the NAI form? I think its the most important thing I've done work exp wise since its primary care to patients, but I've not been working much or fully trained yet - I'm on contract for around a year though so I dont know what to put as my finishing date either - like go into the future? Would it count as work experience as well? Ahhhh stress
Original post by totodile
I started working as a healthcare assistant at the hospital recently and I'm wondering whether I should put it in the NAI form? I think its the most important thing I've done work exp wise since its primary care to patients, but I've not been working much or fully trained yet - I'm on contract for around a year though so I dont know what to put as my finishing date either - like go into the future? Would it count as work experience as well? Ahhhh stress

Hey

You can definitely put that in there! Most applicants won't have had that sort of experience so it'll make you stand out :biggrin:

For finishing date just put Aug 2018 if you're on for a year (I didn't say sept 2018 cuz then you'll be studying medicine unless of course you still want to work?)

Also, it would be good for you to google 'what is primary care' because HCAs don't provide primary care :wink:
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Hey

You can definitely put that in there! Most applicants won't have had that sort of experience so it'll make you stand out :biggrin:

For finishing date just put Aug 2018 if you're on for a year (I didn't say sept 2018 cuz then you'll be studying medicine unless of course you still want to work?)

Also, it would be good for you to google 'what is primary care' because HCAs don't provide primary care :wink:

Thank you for your help! And oh gosh thats embarrassing, someone who started working there with me told me it was primary care and I just believed it oops :colondollar: Also, with the putting end date as a date in the future, would that be applicable to volunteering as well since I plan to carry that on through the year?
Original post by totodile
Thank you for your help! And oh gosh thats embarrassing, someone who started working there with me told me it was primary care and I just believed it oops :colondollar: Also, with the putting end date as a date in the future, would that be applicable to volunteering as well since I plan to carry that on through the year?

Np :smile:

Yes definitely!

Latest

Trending

Trending