The Student Room Group

No cheap car insurance without a black box

Hi,

I'm 17 and looking for car insurance quotes before I get a car. The cheapest I can get on any decent car (e.g. 1.2l corsa) is about £1900 with a *****y black box. I dont want a ****ing black box but the cheapest one without it is like £3600. Is these even ****ing legal. I know young drivers are dangerous but I'm just sat here like wtf, they're feeding on the people with the least income. I just think its so excessive. Even if I got a black box I know it would be **** anyway with the restricted mileage and bad driving scores everyone seems to get. I don't even live in a dodgey area, so I just don't get it. Read this then tell me how you expect me to get a black bloody box with confidence

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.morethan.com

Rant over.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fighter365
Hi,

I'm 17 and looking for car insurance quotes before I get a car. The cheapest I can get on any decent car (e.g. 1.2l corsa) is about £1900 with a *****y black box. I dont want a ****ing black box but the cheapest one without it is like £3600. Is these even ****ing legal. I know young drivers are dangerous but I'm just sat here like wtf, they're feeding on the people with the least income. I just think its so excessive. Even if I got a black box I know it would be **** anyway with the restricted mileage and bad driving scores everyone seems to get. I don't even live in a dodgey area, so I just don't get it. Read this then tell me how you expect me to get a black bloody box with confidence

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.morethan.com

Rant over.

Check out my guide in this category (it's pinned to the top).

Stop looking at the Corsa; it's the typical boy racer car.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
Check out my guide in this category (it's pinned to the top).

Stop looking at the Corsa; it's the typical boy racer car.

I’ve already read it. I’ve tired so many cars, fiat punto, pergeot 207, do you recommend any
Reply 3
I’ve already read it. I’ve tired so many cars, fiat punto, pergeot 207, do you recommend any

Anything below insurance group 15 that isn't very common (the cars you've listed there are very common indeed!).
I managed to insure a VW Polo 1.2L 14 years old for about £750 without any no claims discount, although I was 20 as opposed to 17. If you can just wait till you're a couple of years older because you're seen as more mature and less likely to wreck it

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison on:
confused.com
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com
and more to check you have the cheapest deal possible.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by EwanWest
I managed to insure a VW Polo 1.2L 14 years old for about £750 without any no claims discount, although I was 20 as opposed to 17. If you can just wait till you're a couple of years older because you're seen as more mature and less likely to wreck it

That’s not an option I’ve been waiting all my life to drive sorry
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Anything below insurance group 15 that isn't very common (the cars you've listed there are very common indeed!).

I just tried a few, it’s lowered by about £200 or so but that’s it. Non black box insurance still £3-4k
Reply 7
I just tried a few, it’s lowered by about £200 or so but that’s it. Non black box insurance still £3-4k

You've tried the usual things to get premiums down?
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
You've tried the usual things to get premiums down?

Yeah added a parent who’s been driving for 25+ years
Reply 9
Yeah added a parent who’s been driving for 25+ years

Did that help?
Original post by IWMTom
Did that help?

Yeah but I’ve been doing that for all of my quotes all along
Reply 11
Yeah but I’ve been doing that for all of my quotes all along

What were your quotes prior to adding your parents?
Original post by IWMTom
What were your quotes prior to adding your parents?

About £2,200 before. Now the cheapest is about £1800/1900
Reply 13
About £2,200 before. Now the cheapest is about £1800/1900

When did you pass your test, and how many months are you through your 18th year?
Original post by IWMTom
When did you pass your test, and how many months are you through your 18th year?

Passed v recently only turned 17 a few months ago
Reply 15
Passed v recently only turned 17 a few months ago

If at all possible, wait until you've held your licence for 6 months; this'll lower your premiums by a decent amount.
Original post by IWMTom
If at all possible, wait until you've held your licence for 6 months; this'll lower your premiums by a decent amount.

I honestly don’t know whether I can handle that frustration
Audi A3 2.0L after a year of driving, dropped to about £950 with black box
Original post by BDunlop
Audi A3 2.0L after a year of driving, dropped to about £950 with black box

Which provider and how old are you??
Which provider and how old are you??

Well I started a new policy this year, 18 now. I'm currently using smart wheels (esure I think) you'll save a bit of money if you drive well. Last year I used drivesmart and got like £200 back for good driving

Quick Reply

Latest