The Student Room Group

What to do? *Course & Life Stuff*

Maybe I'm posting this in the wrong category but here goes:

I'm 20 currently, and I have no idea which is the best route to take regarding my future.

I have my maths, English and science GCSE's at grade C, and I'm resitting my maths GCSE again this year in hopes to achieve a 7. I also will have a BTEC Diploma in Engineering at grade DD (or higher hopefully!).

The thing is, that's not good enough to get me into a good uni.

So what would be the best route for me to take? My college offers a HND course in general engineering which again, a lot of good unis don't accept without a a level in maths - so should I just study an a level in maths after I've finished this year?

I really don't know since a lot of folks have said that studying a HND is useless if you want to go to uni.

Eventually I'd like to go onto uni to study Aerospace Engineering. I'm applying to a few places this year but hardly anyone would accept me considering I want an industrial placement or to study abroad, so it's risky.

So yeah, I'm not sure at all. I dropped out of school so I missed out on the majority of my GCSE's and now I'm realising the effects of that. I'm a pretty good student and I'd say I rarely find work "hard" and I love learning, it's just the fact that if I don't get a place this year then I'd be 22 by the time I've finished with exams that should of been done when I was 18.

If anyone has any tips or advice or anything, it'd be really appreciated.

PS. Sorry for kinda vent-y and long post.
Some unis accept DDD on its own for engineering courses.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Student-95
Some unis accept DDD on its own for engineering courses.

I'm not doing the Extended Diploma unfortunately since my college doesn't teach it. The Diploma what I'm doing only equates to 2 A Levels.
Original post by cosmic_macchiato
I'm not doing the Extended Diploma unfortunately since my college doesn't teach it. The Diploma what I'm doing only equates to 2 A Levels.

Oh. Could you self-teach A-level maths alongside your diploma to speed things up?
Original post by Student-95
Oh. Could you self-teach A-level maths alongside your diploma to speed things up?

Probably not, I usually need someone to show me what to do with maths sadly.

But if I did, how would I get to sit the exam anyway? I was thinking about those online courses at one point but I'm not sure if it'd work for me and I'm not sure how it works at all - plus if I do manage to get an offer this year for uni then it'd be a waste, since I've applied to Leeds foundation year too.

It sucks being stuck in between things haha.
Probably not, I usually need someone to show me what to do with maths sadly.

But if I did, how would I get to sit the exam anyway? I was thinking about those online courses at one point but I'm not sure if it'd work for me and I'm not sure how it works at all - plus if I do manage to get an offer this year for uni then it'd be a waste, since I've applied to Leeds foundation year too.

It sucks being stuck in between things haha.

If you get a place on Leeds' foundation year you should be fine, that will get you up to speed on everything and you'll be at a good engineering school.
Reply 6
Maybe I'm posting this in the wrong category but here goes:

I'm 20 currently, and I have no idea which is the best route to take regarding my future.

I have my maths, English and science GCSE's at grade C, and I'm resitting my maths GCSE again this year in hopes to achieve a 7. I also will have a BTEC Diploma in Engineering at grade DD (or higher hopefully!).

The thing is, that's not good enough to get me into a good uni.

So what would be the best route for me to take? My college offers a HND course in general engineering which again, a lot of good unis don't accept without a a level in maths - so should I just study an a level in maths after I've finished this year?

I really don't know since a lot of folks have said that studying a HND is useless if you want to go to uni.

Eventually I'd like to go onto uni to study Aerospace Engineering. I'm applying to a few places this year but hardly anyone would accept me considering I want an industrial placement or to study abroad, so it's risky.

So yeah, I'm not sure at all. I dropped out of school so I missed out on the majority of my GCSE's and now I'm realising the effects of that. I'm a pretty good student and I'd say I rarely find work "hard" and I love learning, it's just the fact that if I don't get a place this year then I'd be 22 by the time I've finished with exams that should of been done when I was 18.

If anyone has any tips or advice or anything, it'd be really appreciated.

PS. Sorry for kinda vent-y and long post.

So the problem is that you are only studying for the equivalent of 2 A levels? Could you not enquire about taking an extra A level or a BTEC Subsidiary in a different subject like IT/Computing or Applied Science? With DD and if you could get an A, B or Distinction in whatever you pick up you get get into a good uni.

A HND or Foundation Degree (FdEng) is a very good option as they are accessible with your diploma , they are much cheaper than university and it will allow you to enter a degree at year 3 (or year 2 depending on the uni) and you could still come out with a BEng in Aerospace Engineering topping up your HND or FdEng.

Another option could be to do a foundation year, this would be a preliminary year at university intended for people who missed the requirements of a degree or weren't studying the right subjects for it. there are some very good unis who offer this such as: Durham, Southampton and Sussex.

Alternatively, you could look for a degree apprenticeship in Engineering, for example BAE Systems I believe offer one and put you through a HND. Rolls Royce is probably the best one on offer though as you can come out with a Masters degree in Engineering from Warwick. And there are loads more out there!

Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest