The Student Room Group

I'm 18 and I've never had a job

I feel pathetic. I've done a week long work experience placement but that's it. I'm currently in Year 13 and even after searching for months I can't find a job that fits around sixth form. I'm planning on looking for volunteering placements instead even though I do need the money but I can't complain :frown: I feel so useless. I see so many people my age with jobs and tons of experience and I've got nothing.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel pathetic. I've done a week long work experience placement but that's it. I'm currently in Year 13 and even after searching for months I can't find a job that fits around sixth form. I'm planning on looking for volunteering placements instead even though I do need the money but I can't complain :frown: I feel so useless. I see so many people my age with jobs and tons of experience and I've got nothing.

You don't really need much experience or to have had any jobs in all honesty. When you get to uni, everyone will pretty much instantly forget they did any of that stuff, and it will become completely irrelevant. You shouldn't really have money as an issue either as you'll have your maintenance loan.
Reply 2
Original post by RedGiant
You don't really need much experience or to have had any jobs in all honesty. When you get to uni, everyone will pretty much instantly forget they did any of that stuff, and it will become completely irrelevant. You shouldn't really have money as an issue either as you'll have your maintenance loan.

I've heard a maintenance loan isn't enough to live on though? :/ Plus I'll want a job whilst I'm there so I can get more experience and just have some extra income.

It's really hard, I know. Volunteering is a good shout though, it'll get you more experience, will get you some really good skills, you'll meet new people and you might really enjoy it! Just keep trying. You could try talking to your careers advisor as well and seeing if they'll go over your CV with you and they might now of some local jobs going too :smile:

Join your local town centre job agencies, they literally have many warehouse operative, picker, packer jobs available that need many staff.

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council
Reply 5
Original post by chelseadagg3r
It's really hard, I know. Volunteering is a good shout though, it'll get you more experience, will get you some really good skills, you'll meet new people and you might really enjoy it! Just keep trying. You could try talking to your careers advisor as well and seeing if they'll go over your CV with you and they might now of some local jobs going too :smile:

Original post by Analyst89
Join your local town centre job agencies, they literally have many warehouse operative, picker, packer jobs available that need many staff.

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council

Thank you guys :smile:
Reply 6
Bull crap they i have applied to more than half of them and all they do is not respond!!! That is all i get now a days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending