The Student Room Group

Why is it ok to test on animals but not on humans?

Can anyone here justify the separate ethic codes applied to human vs animal research, where it may be ok to test on animals but not on humans?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think there'll ever be a good justification, but the first attempt that came to mind was animals are less significant and important than humans, therefore their lives are less sacred and can be toyed with. By the way, this is not my personal view, just the first one I thought of that could be an argument.
Reply 2
Because informed consent, the key ethical requirement for human research, is not possible with animals. Also, people have been researched on in the same way as animals are repeatedly.
There is a need for research, including animal research, but it has to be valid, and avoid unnecessary suffering. It needs to do something needed.
Go volunteer to get tested on then.
‘Be the change you want to see in the world’
(edited 6 years ago)
It's the compromise between those who are against animal research and those who are for human research.
Well we already eat animals, testing on them isn't much different
Reply 6
Original post by zeldor711
Well we already eat animals, testing on them isn't much different

So if it is ethically fine to eat animals, what makes it not ok to eat humans?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Unown Uzer
So if it is ethnically fine to eat animals, what makes it not ok to eat humans?

Because we have morals. Members of the human specie value the life of our own more highly than the lives of other animals.

Because eating animals furthers the survival of the species. Eating humans does the opposite.
Reply 9

Because cannibalism is very harmful and causes problems that eating animals does not cause.
Original post by zeldor711
Because eating animals furthers the survival of the species. Eating humans does the opposite.

If we forcibly interbred humans and ate their offspring the same way we do farm animals, eating humans would further the survival of the species - in fact, it would be even better at doing that than the current model we have that allows people a say in whether they have offspring. Why not do that?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If we forcibly interbred humans and ate their offspring the same way we do farm animals, eating humans would further the survival of the species - in fact, it would be even better at doing that than the current model we have that allows people a say in whether they have offspring. Why not do that?

OK then, humans have morals built in to them that put them against harming other human beings due to generations of evolution hence why people believe murder is wrong
You HAVE to test products on SOMETHING before making it commercially available. Here are the options:

1) Animals
2) ???

Human volunteers are for phase 2 trials when you know the stuff won't straight up MURDER people. As humans it's normal to view other human life as more important than other species' lives. That's a natural instinct. Plus of course, humans are the most intelligent creatures on Earth. More intelligence in an animal makes testing on them less humane. Testing on a dog is worse than testing on a rat I think. But of course, labs insist on using beagles for some reason.

I don't see how there could ever be an alternative to animal testing in some circumstances. Risking human life because you're upset about mice getting hurt is ****ing stupid.
Original post by RockyDennis
You HAVE to test products on SOMETHING before making it commercially available. Here are the options:

1) Animals
2) ???

Human volunteers are for phase 2 trials when you know the stuff won't straight up MURDER people. As humans it's normal to view other human life as more important than other species' lives. That's a natural instinct. Plus of course, humans are the most intelligent creatures on Earth. More intelligence in an animal makes testing on them less humane. Testing on a dog is worse than testing on a rat I think. But of course, labs insist on using beagles for some reason.

I don't see how there could ever be an alternative to animal testing in some circumstances. Risking human life because you're upset about mice getting hurt is ****ing stupid.

I thought testing on humans is the third phase.

I believe they first test on Human cells to see whether the drug is effective in the first place.

Then they test on animals to see whether the drug is safe.

Afterwards they test on human voluteers to find out how the drug effects other parts of the body and to see how the body react to long term use of the drug.

Although, I think that some companies don't run human trials long enough to see the long term health effects of a drug,
Reply 14
It's because humans prioritise of the survival of out species foremost everything else comes next tbh
ethnically fine

Lol
loooooooooooooooooool
The Nazis tried it, obviously didn't go down too well.
Original post by RockyDennis

1) Animals
2) ???

Why should intelligence play a role in whether you experiment on something?

"Equality of consideration is a prescription, not an assertion of fact: if the equality of the sexes were based only on the idea that men and women were equally intelligent, we would have to abandon the practice of equal consideration if this were later found to be false. But the moral idea of equality does not depend on matters of fact such as intelligence, physical strength, or moral capacity. Equality therefore cannot be grounded on the outcome of scientific investigations into the intelligence of nonhumans. All that matters is whether they can suffer."

If intelligence of an organism determined whether it is ethical to experiment on it, does that mean it is ethical to experiment on mentally-disabled people?
Why should intelligence play a role in whether you experiment on something?

"Equality of consideration is a prescription, not an assertion of fact: if the equality of the sexes were based only on the idea that men and women were equally intelligent, we would have to abandon the practice of equal consideration if this were later found to be false. But the moral idea of equality does not depend on matters of fact such as intelligence, physical strength, or moral capacity. Equality therefore cannot be grounded on the outcome of scientific investigations into the intelligence of nonhumans. All that matters is whether they can suffer."

If intelligence of an organism determined whether it is ethical to experiment on it, does that mean it is ethical to experiment on mentally-disabled people?

Think more sentience than intelligence. It's the same exact argument actually, but an important distinction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending