The Student Room Group

Am i right or are the flatmates right.

Scroll to see replies

1) It's just cheese
2) It's really just cheese
3) put Rat POSION on it next time
4) It's rightfully yours. Paid or unpaid- you got it.

End of discussion.
Original post by Skuuuudent
1) It's just cheese
2) It's really just cheese
3) put Rat POSION on it next time
4) It's rightfully yours. Paid or unpaid- you got it.

End of discussion.

but rat poison isn't cheap tho... but the dirty floor we have is :biggrin:
If I was stacking and hoarding blocks of free cheese I'd be making it communal flat cheese. But given you didn't do that, flatmate is thief and therefore in the wrong.
Reply 23
Original post by will'o'wisp2
Here's the situation, unbiased and absolutely trying my best to not make ti seem either sided. This is the situation how it was.

I bring back some cheese from the dining hall because i'm part catered. I bring back some cheese(like those lil packaged block rectangular ones) and i start building up the stack in the communal fridge. I notice that a few days later that some are gone(i counted 6 i brought back and then when i checked there were about 5 left). I ask the person who i suspect that ate it. They laugh and i know instantly it's them who ate it. A minute later trying to get her to admit to it, she does admit and says "I was hungry, so i ate some of your cheese" (she said yours specifically). I ask her why she ate my cheese and she said that it's really my cheese because it's free and i got it from the dining hall. After she said this another flatmate behind her piped up and agreed with her also that it's not really mine because it's free and i got it from the dining hall.

That is the situation. As it happened.

My part i want to say
What do you guys think. Are they right that it isn't my cheese because it's "free" and that it's from the dining hall. Or is it rightly mine because i went to go and get it. Or is it simply wrong due to generic "you don't eat your flatmates food"

If there's anything else you want to ask before making your choice then by all means ask.

All who go to the dining hall have tickets which they all hand 1 in when anyone goes in for a meal. They have access to all the options avaliable to them. For example a hot chocolate fruit, salad bar, just plain ol water and coffee and teabags etc.

I think im not wrong because i pay for it. You can get another 10 tickets for £30 as stated by the dining hall. So if i give a ticket im entitled to what they offer me. If they offer me cheese and i take it, i have indirectly paid for it. In any case you get a bunch of these tickets to start because it's included in my accomodation. The point for me still holds that it's wrong for them to just eat my cheese and keep eating it, After the first time they ate it, i forgot to put it in my mini fridge and i brought more cheese back and then for the 2nd time i noticed more had gone. The obvious thing to do was move them all to my own mini fridge which i did.

Original post by Retired_Messiah
If I was stacking and hoarding blocks of free cheese I'd be making it communal flat cheese. But given you didn't do that, flatmate is thief and therefore in the wrong.

WEW thanks :smile:

Original post by miss_ambitious

Nope, only telling the situation as is.
Reply 25
Get a block of cheese and throw it at her while she sleeps.
You acquired it, so it's yours. That's like going up to someone who's on benefits, snatching their money and saying "I'm entitled to this because it came from the government!"
Here's the situation, unbiased and absolutely trying my best to not make ti seem either sided. This is the situation how it was.

I bring back some cheese from the dining hall because i'm part catered. I bring back some cheese(like those lil packaged block rectangular ones) and i start building up the stack in the communal fridge. I notice that a few days later that some are gone(i counted 6 i brought back and then when i checked there were about 5 left). I ask the person who i suspect that ate it. They laugh and i know instantly it's them who ate it. A minute later trying to get her to admit to it, she does admit and says "I was hungry, so i ate some of your cheese" (she said yours specifically). I ask her why she ate my cheese and she said that it's really my cheese because it's free and i got it from the dining hall. After she said this another flatmate behind her piped up and agreed with her also that it's not really mine because it's free and i got it from the dining hall.

That is the situation. As it happened.

My part i want to say
What do you guys think. Are they right that it isn't my cheese because it's "free" and that it's from the dining hall. Or is it rightly mine because i went to go and get it. Or is it simply wrong due to generic "you don't eat your flatmates food"

If there's anything else you want to ask before making your choice then by all means ask.

All who go to the dining hall have tickets which they all hand 1 in when anyone goes in for a meal. They have access to all the options avaliable to them. For example a hot chocolate fruit, salad bar, just plain ol water and coffee and teabags etc.

I think im not wrong because i pay for it. You can get another 10 tickets for £30 as stated by the dining hall. So if i give a ticket im entitled to what they offer me. If they offer me cheese and i take it, i have indirectly paid for it. In any case you get a bunch of these tickets to start because it's included in my accomodation. The point for me still holds that it's wrong for them to just eat my cheese and keep eating it, After the first time they ate it, i forgot to put it in my mini fridge and i brought more cheese back and then for the 2nd time i noticed more had gone. The obvious thing to do was move them all to my own mini fridge which i did.

You are correct. It becomes your property when you claim it. It is no longer free and they can go an get their own free cheese from the dining hall.

You however are losing the plot and letting them wind you up over very little. they are doing it deliberately and its not just one person now.

Get a fridge locker and dont make such a fuss. Silly disputes can turn serious in student houses, so beware and chill. Brush it off and dont argue.
Reply 28
Organise a battle royale and sort it out like men. Camp men in spandex. But men.
They're being totally unbriesonable.
Tbh it's cheese. It's not like they're eating the last chocolate chip cookies your nan ever made. You get cheese so easily. You've paid for it yes, but so have they. I get it is annoying, but you have such easy access to it and you have so much of it. You're making a big fuss over nothing.
It's no gouda them to steal it.
What do you call cheese that's not yours?

Nacho cheese.
But I jest. You're right, blatantly.
Okay I don't want to form an opinion but I'll just say this:
1) Your friend should've asked before you ate the cheese which you bought with your own money. It's a **** move not to.

On the other hand

2) Though the opportunity to buy some of her own was there, maybe she couldn't afford to and so saw the cheese in the communal fridge as a great substitute. Besides, who needs that much cheese?

But they're just my thoughts on the matter. I hope you can come to a civil conclusion :biggrin:
Doesn't matter. They've drank my milk before and denied it. I saw them do something in the fridge when i came back from my room and i pulled my milk out of the fridge noticed it was lower than before and finished the rest of what was left. I asked a flatmate(different from the one who supported her) and i asked him if they just drank my milk and they said she did. I asked her on the bus on the way back to my accommodation if she has drunk my milk and she denies it. Nothing stops them from using other people's things. They've used other people's stuff and used it without asking and especially consumable stuff which they just use don't ask and say it's ok it's only a little bit for the tea/coffee which they have pretty often and they do add in a lot of milk cus i've been there and watched them.

Doesn't stop her from using my cutlery when all her cutlery has been cleaned by her herself and she said it's clean laying around. I asked her why the **** she used my **** and she just laughed and when "oh so it was yours then" caught her using my **** twice, didn't even clean it up. I barely have any cutlery and she ****ing knows this, she has a set enough for 2-3 people to use so why int he world she chooses to use mine and not hers when hers is literally on the metal part of the sink and is clean as cleaned by her is well beyond me.

Now i just take all my stuff back to my dorm keep the extractor fan on 24/7 and keep 90% of my stuff in my room because she'll just use it. She complains about me complaining about her not washing up when she say but there's no washing up liquid. Ask or buy some your bloody self. It's not difficult but clearly this fool like to complain over nothing. Yes i will complain about your stupid butt when you think i should be praising your for cleaning your own stuff. Congratulations you're slowly starting to build a sense of hygiene which will probably diminishing quickly anyway. Of course she's like but why don't you just dry your stuff on the side over there(pointing to the metal part of the sink where her stuff is stacked so anything else you put on won't stay on or it;ll just fall off. I dunno cus your stuff is there? She never puts her stuff away after she uses it, leaves her food and stuff exposed out over night. She just doesn't clean and when she does she expects high praise and treatment for doing something which is common sense which is apparently not common to her.

Why are you writing a crap load when all that happened was a flat mate ate a bit of cheese?

*Newsflash* Flatmate steals cheese, igniting huge uni riots and teargas warfare

You still have 5 more pieces. Move on.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Get a block of cheese and throw it at her while she sleeps.

Wat
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
You acquired it, so it's yours. That's like going up to someone who's on benefits, snatching their money and saying "I'm entitled to this because it came from the government!"

Original post by 999tigger
You are correct. It becomes your property when you claim it. It is no longer free and they can go an get their own free cheese from the dining hall.

You however are losing the plot and letting them wind you up over very little. they are doing it deliberately and its not just one person now.

Get a fridge locker and dont make such a fuss. Silly disputes can turn serious in student houses, so beware and chill. Brush it off and dont argue.

I guess that's true.

I do have a mini fridge of my own and my door is locked everytime i go out of it .__.

I'd be fine if she doesn't do this all the time and acts like a genuine fool all the time.

There was a powercut last night and while she was outside fooling around with a bunch of others, a few of the flatmates along with myself as one of them all talked about her using all our stuff and starting to put it all in our rooms and keeping hold of our stuff as tightly as possible because she just uses other people's stuff not just mine(i found out for sure) without asking of course. No-one likes it and we just wish she wasn't just such a big doofus -__- It's not a wonder that we all give her just convoluted answers and just a generic "nah u fine" when she asks if there's something wrong with her or if we don't like her because we know she'll rant and rave about how she "does so much for the flat" by washing up her own ****.

But the real big thing which pisses me off is how she uses other people's stuff and then i call her ass out for not washing up her stuff then she denies it's not hers. She's not wrong about the property not being hers but she still used it. That means in our flat that you wash up what you use. Like i'm sure what the multitude of other decent people do. No she just wants everyone else to lick her feet when she washes up because she's done such a "good deed".

It's not just this one off, it's her who started this off and is continually living like a mongy little gorilla in the flat i with others, reside in, From all the people who she brings over, every single person has said to my flatmates(excluding her) or me that our kitchen is the dirtiest they've ever seen(but the best bit is, i'd call that fairly clean compared to what i has been in the past). It's terrible but i'm not cleaning up every single day along with my flatmates to clean up the mess she makes. She's making a garbage tip and the flatmates and myself are just cleaning what we use and the minimal to make sure we're hygienic at least. Or you could say we're working round her. No-one wants to take in her constant 24/7 bs with her stupid drinking, smoking and rowdy behaviour. No-one does. I'm glad at least a few flatmates and I agreed on a few things on that powercut (with her absence). The reason why i hate her more is because unfortunately my room is directly next to hers. The rooms are in a layout such that my bed and her bed are back to back with a wall separating my room and hers. She doesn't stop bringing her friend in(who also adds to the mess and garbage of the kitchen and is pretty much a male version of her) and others and talks to them loudly constantly throughout the night till at least 2-3am maybe later. I've told her multiple times to be quiet and don't talk so loud at night because i can hear you very clearly throught the walls. Her response was "Oh ****, i'm sorry" and then continues to be a boisterous soggy ******* the nights later. I've definitely considered filing a noise complaint against her especially since there's a rule at the campus bc i opted to be in a quiet part of the accomodation, which is that between 11pm and 8am you must be quiet and not disturb other sleeping.

I can tolerate till 1 at latest but wheni can't get to sleep cus you talking loud af through the walls thta's complaint worthy. Hence i try my best to go to sleep earlier now. On a scale of how loud she is, the flatmate at the end of the corridor can hear her sometimes talking and his room at the end of the corridor is probably about 3-4m away(from door to door). This is why i don't like her. It's not just the cheese. The cheese is one example of the bull poo she pulls all the time. It's constant and never stops, that why if she ever decides to use or eat my stuff again all her stuff that's she's "cleaned" (i'm told she just runs the washing under water) i'm putting back into the sink/dirty side of the sink. If she's not gonna move her stuff so the other 6 people in my flat can use that space to dry their stuff then she deserves it. The sink area doesn't belong to her. She easily leaves her stuff there for over a week and that's why i dry stuff in my room, blast the heater and keep the extractor fan on when i'm awake and keep the window a little crack open 24/7.

I agree it should be nothing to cause such a fuss over and i should keep quiet but not when everyone else tells me stuff like this.
Original post by gjd800
Organise a battle royale and sort it out like men. Camp men in spandex. But men.

Mankini's at the beach bois :biggrin:
Original post by DrawTheLine
Tbh it's cheese. It's not like they're eating the last chocolate chip cookies your nan ever made. You get cheese so easily. You've paid for it yes, but so have they. I get it is annoying, but you have such easy access to it and you have so much of it. You're making a big fuss over nothing.

No they haven't paid for it. I don't get to sit down and eat their stuff simply because the food is included in the accomodation.
You pay for it with a ticket. What you want isn't always there y'know. It's just like me saying to a person who drinks coffee, if there's not coffee then just drink tea, there's loads of it and it's still a brew just like a cappuccino or whatever.

But yes maybe i do need to let this go and just ignore it.
Original post by MisledGoddess
Okay I don't want to form an opinion but I'll just say this:
1) Your friend should've asked before you ate the cheese which you bought with your own money. It's a **** move not to.

On the other hand

2) Though the opportunity to buy some of her own was there, maybe she couldn't afford to and so saw the cheese in the communal fridge as a great substitute. Besides, who needs that much cheese?

But they're just my thoughts on the matter. I hope you can come to a civil conclusion :biggrin:

Why not an opinion :biggrin:
She couldn't buy her own cheese?

No digging at you because you don't but i think that if she can afford cigarettes and vodka and alcohol then she can afford some cheese. Personally i've been shopping with her and she just bought £20 worth of drinks. -__-

Original post by RedGiant
Why are you writing a crap load when all that happened was a flat mate ate a bit of cheese?

*Newsflash* Flatmate steals cheese, igniting huge uni riots and teargas warfare

You still have 5 more pieces. Move on.

There's more about it if you want to read that chosty paragraph up there. The point isn't specifically about the cheese. This is just an example of why i'm just not happy with her at all.

I could make an example and say oh they just stole half of the stuff from your freezer you still have the other half just move on and stop complaining. Sure ok then i'll starting keep more and more stuff in my room that's not a problem but at this rate no-one likes her.
Wat

I guess that's true.

I do have a mini fridge of my own and my door is locked everytime i go out of it .__.

I'd be fine if she doesn't do this all the time and acts like a genuine fool all the time.

There was a powercut last night and while she was outside fooling around with a bunch of others, a few of the flatmates along with myself as one of them all talked about her using all our stuff and starting to put it all in our rooms and keeping hold of our stuff as tightly as possible because she just uses other people's stuff not just mine(i found out for sure) without asking of course. No-one likes it and we just wish she wasn't just such a big doofus -__- It's not a wonder that we all give her just convoluted answers and just a generic "nah u fine" when she asks if there's something wrong with her or if we don't like her because we know she'll rant and rave about how she "does so much for the flat" by washing up her own ****.

But the real big thing which pisses me off is how she uses other people's stuff and then i call her ass out for not washing up her stuff then she denies it's not hers. She's not wrong about the property not being hers but she still used it. That means in our flat that you wash up what you use. Like i'm sure what the multitude of other decent people do. No she just wants everyone else to lick her feet when she washes up because she's done such a "good deed".

It's not just this one off, it's her who started this off and is continually living like a mongy little gorilla in the flat i with others, reside in, From all the people who she brings over, every single person has said to my flatmates(excluding her) or me that our kitchen is the dirtiest they've ever seen(but the best bit is, i'd call that fairly clean compared to what i has been in the past). It's terrible but i'm not cleaning up every single day along with my flatmates to clean up the mess she makes. She's making a garbage tip and the flatmates and myself are just cleaning what we use and the minimal to make sure we're hygienic at least. Or you could say we're working round her. No-one wants to take in her constant 24/7 bs with her stupid drinking, smoking and rowdy behaviour. No-one does. I'm glad at least a few flatmates and I agreed on a few things on that powercut (with her absence). The reason why i hate her more is because unfortunately my room is directly next to hers. The rooms are in a layout such that my bed and her bed are back to back with a wall separating my room and hers. She doesn't stop bringing her friend in(who also adds to the mess and garbage of the kitchen and is pretty much a male version of her) and others and talks to them loudly constantly throughout the night till at least 2-3am maybe later. I've told her multiple times to be quiet and don't talk so loud at night because i can hear you very clearly throught the walls. Her response was "Oh ****, i'm sorry" and then continues to be a boisterous soggy ******* the nights later. I've definitely considered filing a noise complaint against her especially since there's a rule at the campus bc i opted to be in a quiet part of the accomodation, which is that between 11pm and 8am you must be quiet and not disturb other sleeping.

I can tolerate till 1 at latest but wheni can't get to sleep cus you talking loud af through the walls thta's complaint worthy. Hence i try my best to go to sleep earlier now. On a scale of how loud she is, the flatmate at the end of the corridor can hear her sometimes talking and his room at the end of the corridor is probably about 3-4m away(from door to door). This is why i don't like her. It's not just the cheese. The cheese is one example of the bull poo she pulls all the time. It's constant and never stops, that why if she ever decides to use or eat my stuff again all her stuff that's she's "cleaned" (i'm told she just runs the washing under water) i'm putting back into the sink/dirty side of the sink. If she's not gonna move her stuff so the other 6 people in my flat can use that space to dry their stuff then she deserves it. The sink area doesn't belong to her. She easily leaves her stuff there for over a week and that's why i dry stuff in my room, blast the heater and keep the extractor fan on when i'm awake and keep the window a little crack open 24/7.

I agree it should be nothing to cause such a fuss over and i should keep quiet but not when everyone else tells me stuff like this.

Mankini's at the beach bois :biggrin:

No they haven't paid for it. I don't get to sit down and eat their stuff simply because the food is included in the accomodation.
You pay for it with a ticket. What you want isn't always there y'know. It's just like me saying to a person who drinks coffee, if there's not coffee then just drink tea, there's loads of it and it's still a brew just like a cappuccino or whatever.

But yes maybe i do need to let this go and just ignore it.

Why not an opinion :biggrin:
She couldn't buy her own cheese?

No digging at you because you don't but i think that if she can afford cigarettes and vodka and alcohol then she can afford some cheese. Personally i've been shopping with her and she just bought £20 worth of drinks. -__-

There's more about it if you want to read that chosty paragraph up there. The point isn't specifically about the cheese. This is just an example of why i'm just not happy with her at all.

I could make an example and say oh they just stole half of the stuff from your freezer you still have the other half just move on and stop complaining. Sure ok then i'll starting keep more and more stuff in my room that's not a problem but at this rate no-one likes her.

Here's a genius idea that I have spent hours formulating.

Move. your. stuff. into. your. room.

Everybody's happy that way.

There was a powercut last night and while she was outside fooling around with a bunch of others, a few of the flatmates along with myself as one of them all talked about her using all our stuff and starting to put it all in our rooms and keeping hold of our stuff as tightly as possible because she just uses other people's stuff not just mine(i found out for sure) without asking of course.

Original post by RedGiant
Here's a genius idea that I have spent hours formulating.

Move. your. stuff. into. your. room.

Everybody's happy that way.

i'm not cus i have to make way for something that shouldn't even be a problem in the first place, why should i have to do all the work for someone else's "mistake"

Also did you even read what i put down?
I think this could make an excellent drama, so perhaps you should talk to some of the media students you know. I cannot suggest who should play you or your flatmate though. There would have to be the obligatory topless or nude scene if the producer was the person who produces Game of Thrones were to make this drama.
Original post by barnetlad
I think this could make an excellent drama, so perhaps you should talk to some of the media students you know. I cannot suggest who should play you or your flatmate though. There would have to be the obligatory topless or nude scene if the producer was the person who produces Game of Thrones were to make this drama.

lol wat my life ain't as interesting as i make it out to be .__. just a major pain in the backside which she'll have soon bc of that knife that's going in her backside, no need to worry tho i wouldn't do something like that to a flatmate over cheese and all the bs she gives everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest