The Student Room Group

Hard question- Mechanics- ENGAA

Hi guys im unsure how to start to tackle question 4 part d. I will attach my working for the rest of the question. The correct answer is D.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engaa_s2_question_paper_2016.pdf

Thanks in advance
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Shaanv
Hi guys im unsure how to start to tackle question 4 part d. I will attach my working for the rest of the question. The correct answer is D.

Thanks in advance

What's the question?

Treat the cyclist as a projectile being thrown down a slope at an angle θ\theta the slope with speed VV. Then you want to find the point between B and C when the distance between them and the slope is the greatest.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Shaanv

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engaa_s2_question_paper_2016.pdf

Thanks in advance

For C) why don't you consider the cyclist accelerating parallel to the slope, if you do you get the answer E which is wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
Treat the cyclist as a projectile being thrown down a slope at an angle θ\theta the slope with speed VV. Then you want to find the point between B and C when the distance between them and the slope is the greatest.

Sorry i an still lost.

Im unsure how to find an expression for the distance of the cyclist above the slope. Having this i could differentiate to find a maximum.

I dont know if this is what im meant to do. Could u give me a further hint
Reply 6
Original post by haarithiop
For C) why don't you consider the cyclist accelerating parallel to the slope, if you do you get the answer E which is wrong.

The way i did it seemed the easiest, so i went with it cus it doesnt accelerate horizontally.
Original post by Shaanv
The way i did it seemed the easiest, so i went with it cus it doesnt accelerate horizontally.

Isn't it accelerating parallel to the slope as it has a component of weight parallel to the slope.
Original post by Shaanv
Sorry i an still lost.

Im unsure how to find an expression for the distance of the cyclist above the slope. Having this i could differentiate to find a maximum.

I dont know if this is what im meant to do. Could u give me a further hint

First of all, you need to work parallel and perpendicular to the slope (atleast this is what I'd find easier). Then write down your SUVAT for parallel and then the perpendicular motion, but before then, keep in mind that gg affects both parallel and perpendicular motion so you need to resolve the gravitational field force wrt to the slope to get your acceleration parallel and perpendicular to the slope.

Then, you can differentiate your expression for perpendicular displacement and find the TIME when the max point occurs, and sub this time into your expression for the parallel displacement. Form there, you should be good.
Reply 9
Isn't it accelerating parallel to the slope as it has a component of weight parallel to the slope.

I will try it this way and let u know what i get
Reply 10

I tried it parallel and i almost got E as my answer. However it was subtly different from E, so i use some trig and managed to reduce it to C.

F0616E91-C063-41F2-B5B1-897EE6355B06.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Shaanv
I tried it parallel and i almost got E as my answer. However it was subtly different from E, so i use some trig and managed to reduce it to C.

F0616E91-C063-41F2-B5B1-897EE6355B06.jpg.jpeg

Ah my method was right I just made an algebra mistake when simplifying. I get C now. How did you get the same answer without considering the acceleration parallel to the plane?
Reply 12
Ah my method was right I just made an algebra mistake when simplifying. I get C now. How did you get the same answer without considering the acceleration parallel to the plane?

Instead of resolving parallel and perpendicular to the slope, i resolved horizontally and vertically.

As there is no horizontal acceleration the problem is much simpler, but resolving perpendicular and parallel helps in the later parts of the question.
Guys can anyone help with question 2c of this paper? What I did was so long that I just gave up midway... it’s crazy hard
Original post by Anas Sheikh
Guys can anyone help with question 2c of this paper? What I did was so long that I just gave up midway... it’s crazy hard

Suggested approach:

1) Redraw the circuit diagram with R1, R1 and R3.

2) Let V2 denote the voltage across the parallel combination of R1 and R3. Obtain an expression for V2 in terms of V, R1 and R3, and simplify as far as possible.

3) P3 = ((V2)^2) / R3.

Quick Reply

Latest