The Student Room Group

Logs/ Exponential help

How would you go about solving the following question?
logs.png
Part a is basically subbing 1 wherever you have x and you should get a final answer of 0 which therefore proves it.

Part b you replace u with 2^x and this should give you a final answer of the equation shown.

Part c is a bit more complicated but is actually relatively straigtforward if you look at it. I don't think it is actually logs to start off with and you just need your basic c1 knowledge because I would use factor theorem. This is because from part a, I know that (x-1) is a factor of the equation therefore, (u-1) has to be a factor.

Carry on from here and let me know what you get.
Thanks for the explanation, do you mind showing how you did part b. So far I have only had failed attempts.
Original post by SmartFailure
Thanks for the explanation, do you mind showing how you did part b. So far I have only had failed attempts.

2^3x + 4(2^x) + 2^x + 6 =0

now to substitute u = 2^x here's what you would do

2^3x = (2^x)^3

now where you see 2^x make it U

Hope that helped
Thanks, how do you find the solutions of a cubic?
Reply 6
Thanks, how do you find the solutions of a cubic?

You've already been given that x=1 solves the equation in x. So when x=1 u=2 and so u=2 is a solution to the cubic now use the fact that (u-2) is a factor of the cubic.
can someone show the solution to part c please
Reply 8

(U-2) is a factor of the cubic equation so use long division to leave a quadratic in u and solve it.

Do you understand the logic of the theories for this work? You seem like you need to recap the topic because this is quiet logical if you understand index and solving quadratics/cubics.

Original post by B_9710
(U-2) is a factor of the cubic equation so use long division to leave a quadratic in u and solve it.

That coud make it more complex than necessary.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ckfeister

How?

How...? That's what's expected.
Original post by B_9710
How?

Original post by RDKGames
How...? That's what's expected.

Well for me anyway, wouldn't (u-2)(au^2 + bu + c) be more simple? Maybe I do another way.
Well for me anyway, wouldn't (u-2)(au^2 + bu + c) be more simple? Maybe I do another way.

Practically the same thing. You want to find that quadaric; you can either compare coeffs or just do long division, whichever OP prefers, neither are complicated.
logs.png

u34u2+u+6=0u^3-4u^2+u+6=0

We know that x=1x=1 is a solution, so u=2x=2u=2^x=2 is also one. This has been open a while, so I'll give you one more step:

(u2)(u22u3)=0\therefore (u-2)(u^2-2u-3)=0

Now factorise u22u3u^2-2u-3 and calculate the values of xx corresponding to those factors.
U = 2 or -1

x = log2 (3)
x= 1.58?
U = 2 or -1

x = log2 (3)
x= 1.58?

Seems good.
Original post by RogerOxon
u34u2+u+6=0u^3-4u^2+u+6=0

(u2)(u22u3)=0\therefore (u-2)(u^2-2u-3)=0

Some more on the step above:

Start with:

(u2)(au2+bu+c)=u34u2+u+6(u-2)(au^2+bu+c)=u^3-4u^2+u+6

We know that the coefficient of u3u^3 is 11, so a=1a=1.
We know that the constant is +6+6, so c=3c=-3.
So:
(u2)(u2+bu3)=u34u2+u+6(u-2)(u^2+bu-3)=u^3-4u^2+u+6

Looking at the coefficient of u2u^2:
(LHS)2+b=4(RHS)(LHS) -2+b=-4 (RHS)

b=2\therefore b=-2

I do this in my head as I write the new equation - just see how many of the next power of uu you already have and adjust with the next term in the factor. It takes practice, but you can always use the approach above.
Reply 18

It's essentially the same.

Quick Reply

Latest